1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite anti-union cliches!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Roadkill, Sep 4, 2007.

1. YoursTruly

YoursTruly Banned Banned

Opps I meant Scott Adams. Erm, less of the name calling and insults please.

:)
  2. Roadkill

Roadkill a clown's heart

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

The finest cliche of the thread is...

3. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

Oh wait, he does 'the politics of envy' on the other one! :D
  4. Roadkill

Roadkill a clown's heart

Aye, but this is my thread so I can declare the winner. I'm the manager: I have the right to manage! :mad:
  5. YoursTruly

YoursTruly Banned Banned

Well for winning it, I'd better get...

* Taps on calculator
    4 x 5.35

£21.40
  6. copliker

copliker ...

Anyway, here's my personal top 15 in no particular order.

1: Holding the public to ransom.
    2: I'm no fan of Thatcher but at least she took on the unions.
    3: The dead left unburied.
    4: The politics of envy.
    5: They were needed 100 years ago but...
    6: They have a monopoly on labour/are a cartel.
    7: If they don't like their job, why don't they leave and do something else
    8: We must all work together in partnership.
    9: Strike at the drop of a hat.
    10: Strikes discourage tourism/foreign investment etc
    11: We were always willing to talk to the union there was no need for this strike.
    12: Something or other about Cuba.
    13: I've just been made redundant but you don't see me making trouble
    14: Anecdote involving callous treatment of sick/dead baby/pensioner/disabled person.
    15: Unions come in through your window at night and steal your maps, and then when you want to go out somewhere exciting you can't, because all you have is a hopelessly futile grid reference, SU 680 313, darkly mocking you, and so you have to stay at home and toil, and even when you've finished toiling, you have nothing left to do but quietly sob over your one missed chance of freedom.
  7. butchersapron

...and we're off again:

8. butchersapron

9. Roadkill

Roadkill a clown's heart

:D

I wondered about bumping this thread as soon as the 'Teachers' Strike' one started. As I think you said on another thread, every strike, same old clichés! :rolleyes:
  10. butchersapron

:rolleyes:
  11. butchersapron

12. Louis MacNeice

Louis MacNeice Autumn Journalist

I love that one BA; someone gets longer holiays than me so my response is stuff 'em, cut their pay, see if I care...nice.

Louis (my other half is a teacher:oops:) MacNeice
  13. butchersapron

14. caroline1973

caroline1973 Well-Known Member

some additional favourite union cliches of mine -

union barons
    unions have the labour party over a barrel
    throwbacks to the 1970s
    male, pale and stale

the first three are rubbish, clearly, and a distraction from the real city barons holding the labour party hostage with their donations and harking back to the policies of the 1870s.

sadly the fourth is still far too true of both the city/business AND the unions. Sigh...
  15. butchersapron

16. butchersapron

He's on a roll now...
  17. butchersapron

18. Urbanblues

Urbanblues Was that it, life?

No you twat; it means instead of queuing in the bank for a reasonable period of time, say 5 minutes, you end up queuing for 15 minutes. This can be translated across industries and services; fewer teachers, bigger classes, less chance of one-to-one tuition for those children that are in need; less social workers, larger caseloads for those remaining, more opportunity for cock-ups in social care; a decrease in occupational therapists, a slower delivery of disabled assessments, disabled people living in inappropriate conditions for longer.
  19. butchersapron

Kenny's first entry i think:

20. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson treat a liberal as you would a fascist

The last week has given us a fresh batch of new anti-union clichés as pundits and politicians crawl over each other to denounce public sector strikes and the supposedly forthcoming “summer of discontent”.

Some choice morsals:

* “Striking teachers are setting a bad example for the kids!” [British children need to be taught the virtues of subservience and respect for authority in the face of their incomes being slashed]

* “the economic downturn necessitates that workers will have to accept real term losses in wages” [and presumably also the loss of pension funds, poor health and safety practices, factory closures and any other economically determined necessity of these "difficult times"]

* “those who have gone on, or are preparing to go on strike are motivated by greed” [unlike these fuckers of course. I wonder how their salaries will be affected by the "downturn"]
  21. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson treat a liberal as you would a fascist

"The strike was not representative of most teachers - only a third of NUT members voted in the ballot! (Hazel Blears) [whereas the present New Labour Government were voted for by 22% of the electorate and their support has plummeted since - I wonder how Blears would characterise the popularity of her own party?]
  22. Combustible

Combustible Well-Known Member

I always liked the argument "They are striking again yet their wages/holidays are better then many other workers," as if one wasn't a consequence of the other.
  23. butchersapron

Some blustering classics from the latest idiot on the block:

Looks like cobblers finally has some serious competition.
  24. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

employment rights are so last century eh
  25. butchersapron

Can anyone guess which idiot the above quotes are from?
  26. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

27. butchersapron

Yep, the fearless masked crusader and moral leader of the glorious fightback against the invasive forces of feminism and equal rights strikes again.
  28. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

he's my new hero
  29. butchersapron

It's odd that a neanderhthal like that, albeit one that's managed to surve until today, is complaining about unions being outadated with language and opinions straight out of the 1870s.
  30. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I don't remember this at all, but I like it :D