1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You get good grades in university by making things simple

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Cheesypoof, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

Thats my contention.
  2. London Boy

London Boy New Member

What do you mean by that?

What are you studying?
  3. Cheesypoof

i cant say sorry.

i base the OP on my university experience.
  4. milesy

milesy New Member

what, like making your lecturer a simple tea, like bangers and mash?
  5. Groucho

Groucho Wrapped in plastic

You can if you try.

Acually making things simple is quite a skill and should be applauded.
  6. milesy

milesy New Member

why not? is it some secret of national importance?
  7. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

Clear writing, you mean?
  8. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

you weren't sleeping with your professors were you? :D :p
  9. Groucho

No, I reckon she means oversimplifying complex ideas and ignoring the complications in favour of basic assumptions. But I could be wrong....
  10. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

Cheesy, cheesy, cheesy.

I thought you'd stopped making these posts.

Come one, at least expand one your post a bit.
  11. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

She's right.

I got a First in mathematics at Cambridge once I had convinced them that in my native religion all non-integers and numbers larger than three do not exist.

Kept things simple, got me a good degree, lovely job.
  12. Groucho

But maths is just a memory thing and was divised by people who want to classify everything in to neat little packages. It is the perfect example of oversimplification. Mostly it is just not real at all. Numbers are like Hobbits. Only duller.
  13. Cheesypoof

yes. with your work though
  14. Cheesypoof

i think if you break down your thoughts in uni, and put it in simple english you can get a 2:1 is what i mean.

to do better, it requires a bit of originality too though, still put in simple terms.,
  15. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

Yes. But I only had to remember three, whereas everyone else on the course had to remember 4,983,434 numbers, which was thought at the time to be the biggest number possible, but was just the biggest number anyone had got to before losing count.
  16. Groucho

Ah, well expression of complex ideas in a simple way that people can easily grasp is a worthwhile skill to develop. So that's a good thing then?
  17. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

Ah yes, those people who can say very complicated things and make them sound simple and compelling are in great demand.

Politicians, I think they call them.
  18. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

not really

showing a clear demonstration of your knowledge is required but that does not directly correspond to making things simple...

indeed i would presume a dissertation on cellular chemistry would need to be on a certain level of un-simpleness ... it would be near impossible to talk about many scientific an engineering subjects with out the requirement of a shared level of knowledge
  19. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

I think a lot of getting good grades at Uni is just a matter of being able to write a good essay which is an academic skill in itself.

I've received good marks for essays on subjects where I really haven't had any depth of knowledge whatsoever.
  20. Groucho

No, I really don't think most politicians do that, I don't think they carry or convey complex ideas at all, simply or otherwise.
  21. Cheesypoof

i got a double first in my under grad, and plan to do the same with my masters. I got the first because i did eventually find an original idea, but i feel to get a first boils down to putting it in simple terms, to make that breakthrough.
  22. equationgirl

Being able to communicate complex ideas so that people with no prior knowledge of the subject can follow and understand them is always a good skill to have.

However, this does not equate to making things simple.

Also, it's not just a matter of rephrasing things in a simplictic manner to get a 2:1. You'd have to show some degree of original thoughts, ideas and opinions as well as a grasp of complex aspects of the subject area.
  23. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

They take very complex subjects and make simple pronouncments about them is what I meant to say. :oops:
  24. Groucho

Yes, they do do that.

There's little skill in that.
  25. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

There's probably some skill in getting people to fall for it.
  26. equationgirl

The basics of charm and hypnotism, perhaps?
  27. Groucho

Was that your degree subject?:cool:
  28. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

I imagine it was probably something to do with basic memory tricks . . .
  29. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

Depends on the subject.

If you're doing a humanities course then yeh, getting your point acxross coherently and efficiently is necessary as well as displaying acquired knowledge.

That's all great but there are other subjects where it's impossible to be simple!
  30. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

You forgot one :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.