1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF! Look what they've done to the Coach & Horses/Living Bar

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 12, 2009.

1. fogbat

fogbat Camaraderie of the building site

Well, I'm afraid you're going to have to make the choice one way or the other. We can't keep waiting.

2. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

The Florence also sells decent beer, I don't really see the point in a pub that doesn't.

3. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

:D

4. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

It's generally served far too cold for ales though. And besides beer's secondary to good atmosphere and company imo, unless you're one of those beardy weirdys

5. quimcunx

quimcunx christmas miracles ain't all that

I've never been in the Florence but from the posts on here I expect I like it.

6. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Well, you'll almost seem normal sized in the kids area.
    ;)

It's alright - it's the kind of venue we meet friends with kids in - but more than a little sterile. Food's a bit variable and rip-offy in some places, decent in others.

7. nagapie

Good description. It's certainly not the best pub by a mile. If you want that you have to leave Brixton and go to either Stockwell (Priory Arms) or my personal favourite in Streatham (Earl Ferrers).

8. quimcunx

quimcunx christmas miracles ain't all that

:mad: One day we're going to meet, tarannausaurus, and on that day.... !!!!! :mad: on that day you will have some badly bitten ankles.

It's more that I have little chance of bumping into the likes of you.

9. gaijingirl

Decent description.. food can be disappointing, staff can be a bit rubbish.

I tend to go to the pub with people I like, so good company is not a problem. My days of spending whole evenings in the pub chatting to all and sundry are over really for the moment (or only occasionally) - on those occasions I wouldn't choose to go there anyway. Like I say, it serves a purpose.

10. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

...and me....and I'm none of the above.

I did get barred though....back in 93/4.

Not sure they remember though.

11. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

And a creche!

12. nagapie

It's mental that they built this. There's nothing anyone can do about kids in pubs anymore, the UK is breeding!

13. Ms T

Tbh it's more that people go out a lot more now. In the seventies when I was growing up my parents very rarely went out at all. Couldn't afford it.

A lot of pubs don't allow kids in the evening though, which is right and proper imo.

14. gaijingirl

It's also because since the banning of smoking in pubs and with many pubs struggling to keep going, they're having to find other ways of making money. Whereas in the past pubs didn't need to appeal to families to make money, many are going this route and/or the gastro-pub route to keep going.

(sadly it's not actually a creche - that would be toooo good - but a playroom.. ;) - parents still ultimately have to look after their own kids.)

15. nagapie

Sure, but the UK is also breeding. Apparently 2008 was the highest birth rate since the 50s post war boom.

I agree that kids should have to leave in the evening.

16. Ms T

I am hoping this means the Prince Regent is relatively child-free at lunchtimes now. ;)

17. gaijingirl

'fraid not - that's why they have a child-free zone upstairs. :)

I know how much you hate it but unfortunately for those who don't have kids/have a problem with kids HH (in particular) is just awash with them these days.

18. Ms T

I have found the Regent much more mixed recently actually. The Lido has taken a lot of the strain!

19. gaijingirl

Diluted by the Lido.. how apt!

20. Ms T

A few babies = fine and dandy
    15+ babies and toddlers = stressful

21. gaijingirl

yeah yeah yeah.. I know - having a baby yourself doesn't make it any less stressful. :)

22. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

23. Onket

Onket Gertcha

I posted on the other thread about this place.

24. editor

What "other thread"?

25. Onket

Onket Gertcha

I was just getting a link-

Brixton chitter-chatter & news Apr 2012[/URL]

26. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

I think it was even open last weekend, there was a few kids hanging outside but it looked really quiet ...and I went in the albert before I could notice any other details

27. editor

I think they had a soft launch, but I'm not sure if they're fully open yet.

28. Onket

Onket Gertcha

3rd time lucky-

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threa...ter-news-apr-2012.291319/page-5#post-11072973

29. editor

Has to be said that they've done a good job on the frontage though. It's really been cleaned up and looks loads better than it did. Decking still looks shit, mind.

30. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

Good comparison pics on your blog Ed...it does look better now they've sorted the windows out and cleaned all the bird shit off the outside!