1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

That's bound to go really, really well then.

Sorry you got stuck doing that :(
  2. equationgirl

I just thought the urbs would like to know the following about my day yesterday:
    1) None of the reports were delivered on time, last one came in at 5.30.
    2) I left work at 8.30 having been there at since 7.30am
    3) One colleague came back into for two hours to help, other one left saying sorry to leave me in the lurch.

Everything hurts, and I have to go head office on Monday for another 12 hour day.
  3. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Yeah, it's not like I can find paying work though so *shrug*.

I'm setting up a business doing web writing with someone who isn't sure what the point of Twitter is, is frightened to give G+ their birthday, and thinks that if they join FB they *have* to post up pics of their breakfast. Add to this the fact that she has RSI so will be using speech recog software for all this writing, and that she thinks she has a cyber-stalker that can affect her phone signal... :facepalm:

Basically she is paying me to go into business in lieu of her in something I wouldn't choose to do but give her some of any income we ever get, between various asides about how I couldn't possibly do it as my writing and spelling are so atrocious. :(

It's a proper laugh-riot.
  4. toggle

toggle Fucking Furious Feminist

voluntary owrk, make up an imaginary job, anything, just fuck the woman off before she dumps you into her shit again will ya.
    Greebo likes this.
  5. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Unfortunately I need the money, and she has paid in advance.
  6. equationgirl

{{{stuff it}}}
    stuff_it likes this.
  7. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

OMGZ, she wants to start an internet based business but she is like the boss in Dilbert, wanting me to C&P and then email her stuff off the shared online drive. :facepalm: :(

e2a: She doesn't seem to 'get' email forwarding either. :facepalm:

e2a: or afaik, though she seems to know fml... :D

Yesterday:
    Today:
    [​IMG]
  8. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

so I have a series of interviews to conduct next week.

they are for UK based employees who in the main live in the UK. I alos live in the UK.

take a wild stab in the dark where the Interviews are going to be held...

Krakow.

irrespective of the absolute idiocy of making everyone travel to Krakow for an interview when 75% of the candidates live in the UK there is the small matter of the EURO 2012 thing going on and all the hotel prices etc are currently through the roof in Krakow. Still cheap by UK standards but about 3-4 times what they normally are.
    stuff_it and temper_tantrum like this.
  9. Pingu

just worked out that with flights, hotels and meals the interviews are costing us roughly £2,300 more than it would cost to hold them in the UK
  10. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

Is there any bullshit 'reason' for this madness?
    Greebo likes this.
  11. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Bad: I was being underpaid
    Good: I got a job offer at market rate and handed in notice
    Bad: The job disappeared due to market forces
    Good: My current company allowed me to retract my notice
    Bad: Still being underpaid
    Good: Got an offer from a new company that was even better
    Bad: Current work wants to counter offer but has to go through CEO. :eek:

The place I work is fantastic, with the exception of the money which they've been systematically fucking up since I joined. I'm now ~25% below market rate* and because of the fraction of my salary needed to bring it close it has to go through someone stupidly senior. I think I've seen him once from the back of a large conference room.

*I know this as it's about ~25% less than the last three job offers.

PS. I've been interviewing people for a role who's salary expectations are in the region of double mine. Some of them i'd even trust to do my current job.
  12. equationgirl

Bob, that sounds mental, I hope you get the salary you deserve.
  13. equationgirl

So, is it me or has someone decided to hold the interviews in Krakow because of Euro 2012???? They wouldn't be massive football fans now, would they?

What a crazy decision.
  14. Pingu

HR is based in krakow and aparently the HR manager doesnt want to travel...
  15. Greebo

Greebo trebled hyperbolic

Diddums. Somebody should make HR travel when it would be far better for the firm and fairer to people applying for jobs with the firm.
    Me76 likes this.
  16. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Just schedule the interviews for a Friday afternoon so you give yourself and the candidates a weekend in Krakow on expenses.
    Greebo and stuff_it like this.
  17. equationgirl

Tough - it's easier and cheaper to move one person not several.
    Greebo likes this.
  18. Pingu

tell me about it.

I have 3 days worth of interviewees that shows this very clearly. I also stringly suspect that none of them wil be up to the job in question. In the UK there are probably 3 or 4 people who can do the job we are interviewing for and lets face it non of them are going to stop earning 600 - 800 a day as a contractor to take a 55k pa job. which means that the interviews are pretty much a waste of time anyhow.We cant take someone less qualified on cos its not the sort of role where you can train someone up. you can only gain the experience by doing the job which creates a bit of a catch 22 situation.

unless anyone here knows of a highly experienced AbInitio Architect witha solid background in Investment Banking (front and back office) who also knows Teradata well from a development\design pov? deep understanding of 3nf and how it applies in an investment banking situation is also needed.
  19. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Her copywriting (a large part of the business) is dreadful - chock full of 'emphasis' quotation marks and 'fun' exclamation marks! :facepalm:
  20. toggle

toggle Fucking Furious Feminist

when i got pissed off at work today, i reminded myself that i was not putting up a marquee on tresco today.
  21. equationgirl

Oh dear :(

{{{stuff_it}}}

I suggest a really big drink when you get home.
    stuff_it likes this.
  22. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Good copywriting is like good sub-editing - if you let the correct words do their work, you don't need a load of emphatic punctuation. :facepalm:

(((((stuffs)))))
  23. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

She thinks it makes her look fun and conversational. :facepalm:
  24. ViolentPanda

It's a slippery road from "fun" over-punctuation to emphatic CAPITALS before the exclamation marks. :(
    sojourner likes this.
  25. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

She emails in 12pt blue....at least it's not 'comic' sans!

Oh noes, it's contagious.....fuuuuuuuuuuu....

:eek:
    ViolentPanda likes this.
  26. ViolentPanda

:D :D
  27. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

Exit interview next Friday :rolleyes:
  28. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

I've probably missed it but I hope you've got something else lined up.
  29. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Teaching previously mentioned head of development how to forward his phone today...grr....
  30. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

Yep. Start on 2/7.