1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

post em here...

currently mine is this:

i was taken on to do several things, one of which was to bring the UKs employment policies into line with what a "good UK employer would do". In the main we have done so. What is fustrating though is having to explain every single little detail to Americans who just answer "wow we dont do that over here are you sure".. yes I am fucking sure I wouldnt have made the recomendation otherwise and some of these things are legal obligations not just nice to haves.

currebtly I am battking with the expenses policy and yes it is normal in the UK to pay people their hotel expenses if we expect them to stay away overnight.... the full amount not some made up figure that would see people only staying in hotels where the likelyhood of being stabbed in your sleep was a realpossibility. Unless anyone can recomend a hotel in central london for 50 euros a night that people would be prepared to stay in for 3 months...

/rant

2. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

My house. I offer a full "Non stabby sleep" policy and will not steal underwear* if the guest happens to be female.

*This policy is subject to change

Drei likes this.
  3. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Even the worst hotels in Nottingham (think stabbings on the stairs, locked in completely in the morning for hours at like 9am and fuck the fire regulations) are £50+ per night. :eek:

TBF it's Americans, they probably looked up what the average house prices are in the UK and concluded that we all speak like that stupid toff actor and live in mansions.

4. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

This thread could save my sanity :)

Yesterday I had to tell a work colleague to stop phoning me else I wouldn't be able to get the work done he wanted me to do. He had bombarded me with emails and phonecalls - 6 of each in 2 hours. I nearly lost my temper this guy.

I also have a boss who loves to micromanage and work for an organisation stuck in the 1990s...

5. equationgirl

Pingu - if you have access to any cases where companies got done for not following the law, it may help the americans see the light ;)

readergirl likes this.
  6. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

Doctors, mainly.

dylanredefined likes this.
  7. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

underpaid, under resourced and underappreciated which is mainly manifested in having the workload of two people at a higher grade.

i have a new job though, and I leave in just over two weeks. i should have done it months ago.

however it doesn't stop me feeling guilty as fuck for leaving :facepalm:

Drei likes this.
  8. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Parents. :(

dylanredefined likes this.
  9. Pingu

that bit is easy. :)

tbh they are not that bad. once i have explained the whys and reasoning behind things - like if our consultants are away from home for 2 months its only reasonable to put them up somewhere nice so they will be happy and therefore work better than if they were in some shithole and pissed off.

Its mainly becasue no one has challanged them on things before and brought a UK centric view on things to the table. The US has this notion that you are employed at will and you should count yourself lucky to be working for the company. The market we are in though is a niche one and skills and good people are hard to find. You have to treat these people well or they will just fuck off and go work for a company that does treat them well.

I just wsh they wuld trust my judgement on this rather than have to have it explained all the time.

10. equationgirl

I had that today. Request came in to do some research that has already been done and discounted as an area of interest several times over the past few years. But does the requester want to know that? No. They want it researched again. Pointless bloody exercise 1.

Then there was a delightful 2-hour meeting discussing the meaning of 'reporting' and other such words for a workplan that will just get changed by somebody else anyway. Pointless exercise 2.

I'm trying not to get frustrated but it's really really difficult.

11. samk

samk a hot coal in the folds of morbid obesity

The americans are ahead of the curve, continued recession will allow working conditions to continue harmonising with china. Britain could end up worse than america, americans have the option of going postal.

Mephitic likes this.
  12. equationgirl

Today I got 2 hour-long lectures, including the disco remix version of 'don't forget you have to do this' with seven verses of 'write a list so you don't forget'. Highlights of my day also included being interrupted TWICE whilst trying to discuss stuff with a colleague (I was at his desk and she came over to get me) - she doesn't like it when I leave my desk. Even though I have to, to discuss work in other teams - and watching her write an email, and change 1 line in a report several times.

She says I let things get to me too much :rolleyes::mad:

I try to remember that she was much much worse but this week has been really really hard to get through.

Blagsta likes this.
  13. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

so someone wants you to do something that has already been done? I see a great opportunity to not do much for a bit while you do the 'research'

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  14. Termite Man

I'm doing the work of someone who left until they can get a replacement , I am also expected to do my own work as well (although they have reduced that a little bit) and there is just not enough time, and all the people I work with have noticed that I'm stressed doing it but not one of the fuckers has done anything to help me. It probably doesn't help that when I get stressed I get angry and when they get stressed they just cry (I mostly work with women).

15. equationgirl

:(

When I get stressed I get angry and then I cry.

I've told my boss I have too much to do, she just says I need to organise my time better. It really sucks when nobody helps you when they know you're stressed out.

16. cyberfairy

cyberfairy http://unicycle-emptiness.co.uk/

Mine is that someone brings in a raw potato and then microwaves it for lunch which takes a very very long time when you are are hungry and hovering with some slightly disappointing watery but half price New Covent Garden soup.

17. equationgirl

The updates will take 2 weeks full time at least.:(

I'm annoyed about this particular task because the team spent 12 man-weeks on it last year, we were the only team to deliver to all the deadlines for drafts, and after we delivered the final version the person in charge announced that our section was getting dropped and would be covered in a separate report at a later date (which it never was). All the team have said they're not motivated to do this task again.

Plus, when I tell my boss that I'm fed up with this happeneing, and our emails asking for clarification on what they want go unanswered, she always defends them saying they're too busy, we're not a priority etc, and that just makes me even MORE frustrated :mad::facepalm:

18. equationgirl

That sucks cyberfairy - any chance you can beat them to the microwave?

[/derail] why do covent garden soups always end up being disappointing? I've had some of those. [/derail]

19. Termite Man

Emperors new clothes

cyberfairy and equationgirl like this.
  20. oryx

oryx Gamey Winehouse

Well done equationgirl. You have just summarised micromanagement! I tried to explain this to my partner the other week and am not sure if I succeeded.

We had someone like this at my work (who I was managed by) - fortunately she got 'lost' in a big restructure.

A friend of a friend once gave a corking description of how his boss put her arm round staff and went through their letters with a red pen. :eek:

21. equationgirl

Just show your partner my post - she'll understand then ;)

There's rumours of a middle management cull coming up.....

22. Pingu

ahhh the joys of having an american arm to a company - bless them and their knowledge of geography.

"there is a meeting with <client> tomorrow in Sao Paulo.. do you think you could attend?"

of course.. liverpool is but a mere bus ride from Brazil...

(the UK looks after the SA region btw for our company)

zenie, stuff_it and equationgirl like this.
  23. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

You can get the 2125 from Heathrow and arrive in Sao Paulo at 0650 tomorrow morning, then get the 1715 from Sao Paulo to Heathrow and arrive at 0715 on the Thursday. It'll cost you £6069. You're welcome.

readergirl, laptop, zenie and 3 others like this.
  24. Pingu

i could actually get the 19:50 from manchester which would be much more convienient.

however I am not flying for 14 hours and coughing up 1200 (premium economy) or 2 and a half grand (for bsusiness class) for a two hour meeting dreamt up by someone who wants a jolly to brazil.

25. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

My job is so immensely boring I want to scream.

26. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Uh. If I knew you were seriously considering it I'd've found a better flight :D I can try to get it under £1k if you want?

27. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Well I've had a massive debate about my job role with my boss today.

I was taken on as a photography technician, and said I'd had some experience with macs, IT and AV equipment. So as we have no mac technicians at the college (just a consultant that comes in once a term), I've been picking up the problems and sorting them out day to day for my department. Today a complaint came in from an evening course which my boss is responsible, but held by another department that meant I would have to check something on another departments 15 macs on my lunchbreak (Not allowed to claim as overtime either).

Then in order to undertake another request for the same tutor I've had to now do the paperwork for student enrolment which our MIS dept have been waiting for my boss to do :facepalm:

Because my role has changed due to a re-structure, I am now considered an art technician, so I pointed out to her that a. the department in question has its own technician b. we also have an IT department and surely it should be their role to check this stuff out.

She then said to me when I was taken on I said I had mac experience, to which I responded that I'd said I'd worked with macs, but at the time held no qualifications or formal training, the qualification I do hold for macs I undertook since starting the job, paid for myself and did in my own time, I also pointed out it had lapsed, and the college had made no attempt at providing any training for the tasks that they're expecting me to undertake on a day to day basis. Now in all fairness I didnt actually object to doing the task (even unpaid in my own lunchtime), but its the amount that they expect us to work unpaid overtime, and the arrogance in which she exclaimed ' but you're not a photography technician any more, you're my technician now' which may explain why she's had me doing admin work expecting us as a group of techs to run the art shop (they laid the person who did it off)..... None of us have any experience of running a shop and to be fair, working in the local supermarket would only pay marginally less and be a hell of a lot less stressfull.
    [/Rant]

I will now start frantically looking for a new job, or even a career change. Im starting to find I actually much prefer the care side of teaching than the teaching itself...... have considered becoming a social worker in the past.

28. xes

xes F.O.A.D

hdfbwosedjksdvnjvsdjn ohvnvwehiwefjn o;ifjh;efv;hoivfenh;io h;iofh;iofvewhnvgewbj hjvujvhbuehvuh naskjas';pqikf[m kvjijvcnlsahv oi ioj iojc j fijfalaijejoaijh kajfoijedfkn oij aejf;oiujf ;kjsef'p; jfl;jw'fpjse/f;nm

to put it into words....

Me76 likes this.
  29. Pingu

dont feel down.. all that my job entails at times is being very very bored and very very tired in different parts of the world..yes I can say I have been to some exotic places but all i have seen of them is the airport, the hotel i stayed in and the clients offices.

30. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Ach, I'm not feeling down. I'm channelling that boredom into a new found passion and putting into my PhD application :cool: