1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Russia Become a New Superpower?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by soulman, Dec 1, 2008.

1. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Militarily Russia could once again become a superpower if they invest in their hardware heavily (not counting nukes). But unless they plan to rebuild an empire by force I don't know what that would achieve.

2. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Russian oil is most likely in decline now, so they can't rely on that for ever

3. soulman

soulman is no more...

You're the second person to mention the population decline. I vaguely remember a while back that there was talk of Russia offering small chunks of land to people if they they built on and farmed the land within so many years. But I do wonder how many outsiders would want to move to Russia. Are there any reliable figures on population decline and reasons why?

As for the rest well you can look at the US and say the same at the moment.

I didn't say it would be a good thing. I said it would be ironic.

4. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

irobot - i meant it's improved from boris yeltsin's time, don't know how much mind, but there's certainly not the same crisis there was back in the early 1990s

not that im much of a fan of putin et al ..

5. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Yes. Them and China could have the world by the balls if they worked together within about twenty years I reckon.

6. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

Just looked out of the window and Russia still looks grey and dreary

7. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

in every great power that's ever existed, there has still been substantial poverty within its' borders. the two can, do coexist, and always have:confused:

8. gorski

gorski customised free radical

Only the EU can counterbalance the US - for foreseeable future...

'Ellloooooo!!!!!!!!!:cool:

9. hipipol

hipipol going down the long slide

It almost impossible for Russia to remain as weak as it has been for the last couple of decades, as to the World power stuff, not so sure.
    India doesn't actually want world power status it seems to me, for which I think the deserve massive respect - they do believe in making their country an economic power but I dont any desire for projecting military force on a gloabl basis. Still give it 50 years, that may change
    China on the other hand is big on the military power bollocks and the way the place is run they have every chance of being a World Power

I wish that theis Power biz would just fuck off, it just fucks things up for everyone

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Define 'superpower', which no one has managed yet

BRIC are going to run into several major and massive issues that didn't really affect the US/EU period of industrialisation, or did but on a smaller scale.

China and India still have massive peasant populations, and will for the foreseeable future.
    They also both have horrifying environmental issues, now and being stored up for the future. I read a report last week of how the region of China responsible for 25% of it's rice is turning into a dustbowl, similar to the problems the US had in the 1930s - that's a 1/4 of it's staple food dissappearing. Anyone think that's not going to cause a few issues to a nascent superpower?

India is the same - it's got a wider disparity between peasant and urban dweller, and has similar environmental issues to China

Russia could blow it's primary resources and make a ton of money and not reinvest that money into 2ndary and tertiary industry - when the oil runs out in Saudi there's not a lot there to replace it as an industry, and the same could happen in Russia

Don't know enough about Brazil...

11. hipipol

A power which can project overwhelming force to any part of the planet, which recieves almost universal acceptance of that power and as such rarely has to use it on major scale, as others bend to their will without it, simply because of that knowledge of its power

Or something like that.

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

So nothing whatsoever to do with economics then? Only military power?

13. hipipol

Only to a point re economics
    The USSR was never a real economic power, but it was a Superpower

14. soulman

soulman is no more...

Most likely? This is like the population argument. There's nothing concrete to back it up. Or is there?

15. soulman

soulman is no more...

Now that's an ironic overload

16. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

they never stopped being a superpower

17. david dissadent

david dissadent New Member

Link

[​IMG]

The first peak was for the old super giants like the almighty Samotlor peaked in the mid 80s with primary recovery technologies. In the 90s and 00s western oil technology was brought in to raise production again after the horrible decline experianced. The sort of low tech secondary recovery technologies used by russian oil and gas companies like water flooding was not really doing the trick. So all the nifty 3D siemography, horozontal wells and enhanced water and gas drive techonologies were brought in. Now those old giants are again in decline and not enough new fields have been brough online to overcome this. The new fields coming online include

So basicaly Russia is going to have one hell of a job keeping up production at above 9 million barrels a day. Most likely it will be experiancing decline in oil production. Especialy as projects like Sakhalin II are very expensive due to enviromental difficulties and given the basement oil price no one is going to be investing big money into new high cost fields on melting tundra for while.

As for Russias population

[​IMG]

Google has all the answers you need
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/988723.stm

Its a long established fact they are in population decline.

18. soulman

soulman is no more...

I had a long talk with someone who had been to Russia recently, and what they found weird was that so many ordinary people are disgusted with the so called capitalisation of Russia. Once upon a time they had real health care...

19. soulman

soulman is no more...

Leaving aside the oil question for now. As I mentioned above, and the BBC article you quoted seems to bear this out, the population decline is as a result of an inadequate system of health care for the population. This, along with other market led 'solutions', has left people feeling that they have no future.

20. david dissadent

:hmm: The countries with the worst health care systems in the world have amoung the highest population growths.

21. soulman

soulman is no more...

What about countries which see a steady decline in their health care systems from let's say 'first world' to 'third world'.

22. david dissadent

Russias problems stem from low fertility rates (mothers having less babies) not from infant mortality.

The causes of the low fertility rates are probibly related to the general pessimism of Russian women though.

23. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

Must admit I agree with this been here 2 months so far this year and its easy to see why people are pessimistic. Yesterday someone for the first time here actually smiled back at me (was a baby in a pram that I was waving at and generally playing the clown for), even the mother just scowled at me as if I was teaching the kid bad habits. :D

24. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

The USA may be a shite super power but its democratic and Obama won't be George bush. The other would be super powers don't bade well for the earth.
    china runs over students with tanks
    Russian journalists commit suicide a bit too frequently :(
    I wish the EU could get its act together just so that the USA is not the only player in town that considers democracy an the rule of law vital

25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Russia is still a superpower, it will probably become increasingly relevant over the next 50 years, but within a century it could be a spent force, much the same as the USA.

26. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

well post-British empires just don't have the moral fibre to see out more than a century

*stiffens upper lip and glances nervously over at China*

27. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I dunno, I suppose it is silly for me to predict the rate of empire entropy. Im sorta hoping that one positive about resource woes is maybe there will be no superpowers in 100 years.

28. lobster

lobster Well-Known Member

I wonder if that will result a revolution or voting for someone different .

29. Skimix

Skimix Well-Known Member

Russia will be a power but not a superpower, certainly nothing comparable to the US. Their current resurgence is based on the incredibly high oil price, now thats falling back I think they're going to be a little less belligerent.

India is an interesting one, they need some incredible rate of growth just to stand still (something like 8% I think) because of the high population growth.

30. soulman

soulman is no more...

I've no idea. It might result in either, or it could mean a turning back to the pre 1989 model.