1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Jun 23, 2010.

1. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

So mind numbing the words just dropped off the page.
    Even featured the world's most mysterious actor Sienna Miller, who has managed to hit the papers every other day for past decade despite no-one ever seeing or remembering a performance.

Most of these 'commentators' have a short shelf life as they get stale. A way round is to employ people who go out and find fresh news and features. They could even call them reporters.
  2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel Exterminate Russell Davis

Christ, surely someone on the staff have the self-awareness to see that shit for what it is.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

yeh, the cleaners
  4. copliker

copliker ...

5. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Not generally got any time for Charlotte Raven, but this by her the Saturday just gone, about too much arselicking of the forces, wasn't half bad IMO.

'Our curious love affair with the military'

(Apart from that infuriating general-mainstream-media use of the coercive word 'our' in the headline obvs. :hmm: )

See? I can cherrypick too? ;)
  6. killer b

killer b away.

maybe you should start a thread called why the guardian is still great (while at the same time still expressing some reservations) william?
    el-ahrairah likes this.
  7. Pickman's model

surely a thread for articul8?
  8. William of Walworth

Maybe you could get stuffed? Over a nice beer obviously :)

If the Guardian really was like it's distorted as in his thread, then it really would be going down the pan and totally shit, rather than halfway readable and often not shit, as in boring reality :rolleyes:
  9. William of Walworth

My politics are nowhere near his btw :)
  10. Pickman's model

but it is going down the pan, as can be seen from its pisspoor circulation figures. i don't know why you defend it so, when it wouldn't show any compunction about shitting all over you if sales demanded it.
  11. Pickman's model

i'm not surprised. you have never plumbed the depths of degradation to which articul8 aspires.
  12. William of Walworth

I wasn't arguing about circulation -- that's a different matter, of course it's declining and the reasons are obvious (online related as much as anything else, but loads of factors there).

I only occaionally defend the boring fact that it does often contain good/worthwhile/readable/entertaining/illuminating/useful articles.

I don't defend the out and out crap, and I've never denied that there's plenty of that too.

The way some post on this thread though, the Guardian is 100% crap and rubbish, and that's all it contains.

I've never come anywhere close to asserting the oppositie myself, so who's being the more honest and objective here?

Just to remind people : at work, I'm surrounded on a daily basis by plenty for whom the DM and out-and-out much further right wing papers/their headlines form the basis of their day to day politics and assumptions.

Compared to being subjected to that most days, the failings of the Guardian are highly dealable with. Indeed an antidote! (of sorts).
  13. William of Walworth

Faint praise is good enough for me ! ;) :p
    Pickman's model likes this.
  14. copliker

copliker ...

Anyway...Monbiot.
  15. Pickman's model

not monbiot, MONOBOT
  16. treelover

treelover Karen Sherlock, not forgotten...

She was quite good in 'factory girl' about Edie Sedgewick..
  17. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Bradley who?
  18. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

Think you've sort of missed what i was on about there.
  19. temper_tantrum

temper_tantrum The beauty of the ride

Absolute nonsense. In no world is 'Tilly' a shortened version of 'Ottoline'. I can see why it angered you.
  20. killer b

killer b away.

21. butchersapron

good
    fucking
    lord
  22. butchersapron

Why my principles melted away when actually put to the test.

I think we all know why.
    idumea, el-ahrairah and frogwoman like this.
  23. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

wow, thats a very special justification there.
    frogwoman likes this.
  24. _angel_

_angel_ pamphlet militancy

8am-6pm, from 3 , I feel sorry for those kids mind you it's the same for those at nurseries and childminders.
  25. butchersapron

It's astonishing - it actually says yes, i would jump off a cliff if everyone else was doing it.
  26. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

What's the point of calling your daughter Ottoline if you don't say it right. Otto-leeeeen. Ffs.
  27. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

Kind of amazing in its own way, I find myself disagreeing with both the point she's arguing and the one she's arguing against. It's like being pinned up against the wall by some dead-eyed bore at a drinks party in hell. I wanted to shout 'Oh Look, it's Jeffrey Archer!' and then when she turned around kick her really hard in the knee.

If I ever get like that please kill me.
    Belushi likes this.
  28. butchersapron

£150 a day per head for her shit training courses.
  29. _angel_

_angel_ pamphlet militancy

She just used "I am also" twice in a row there. Not that great copywriting IMO.
  30. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

it's a diane abbot level of self delusion and tells you all you need to know about who the guardian wants as readers