1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White & wet

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by JTG, Aug 17, 2008.

1. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

White people dominate the pool. Swimming, diving, water polo, not many black people anywhere in that.

Why is that then?
  2. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

I was musing the same thing about the gymnastics yesterday.....

Plenty of Caucasian and Asian participants - don't think I saw one person of Black/African/African American descent.....

Maybe I just watched the wrong bit.
  3. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

There's a black guy in the US 100m relay team isn't there? Yep - he won a gold medal.

But you're right. Maybe it's a financial thing? It's expensive to learn to swim. Same with gymnastics - very middle class sport
  4. Melinda

Melinda Kama roa, efshar livloa?

Yeah Trashy, his name is Cullen Jones, I was thinking about him when reading the JC2 thread last night, but I couldnt be arsed.

Its about initial interest, then having the opportunity to find out if you are any good and having the resources nearby.
    There is a 50 metre pool at Crystal Palace, I dont know much about their schools programme.

Rounf my way Ladywell Baths in Lewisham has been closed more often than its open recently- you'd have to trek to Wavelengths in Deptford or The Bridge in Lower Sydenham. Even now, the pool is due to close. The council plan to build a new one near Lewisham Station, and locals are fighting to keep it open until the new one opens. Meanwhile Ladywell Fields Athletics Club is there come rain or shine.

A school is more likelyto have easy access to a gym/ playing field than a pool I reckon.
    Plus its about expectation, and what you're familiar with; if its not presented to you as a possibilty then why wouldnt you chose athletics or football firist?

Plus there is the black and her hair thing! ;)
  5. LOST MY HEAD!

LOST MY HEAD! Banned Banned

If Black people had the same access to to these money'd sports they would beat the inferior Whites at every sport!
  6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

You were doing so well until the word 'inferior'....:(
  7. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

They'd beat the inferior whites for sure. But would be 50/50 against the ones of the same ability and may struggle against the superior whites :)

Or was that not your point?
  8. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Straight Outta Compton Bassett

twat
  9. Melinda

Our sole entrant to the Women's all around individual final is black/ mixed race- Becky Downie. She was the first British gymnast to make the final in yoooooooonks and was fantastic! She finished in a Britsh Olympic record of 12th out of 80+ gymnasts.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/gymnastics/7562563.stm

British entrant to the mens apparatus finals is also black/ mixed race. :)
    Louis Smith- he competes today- watch out for him on the pommel horse. At 19 he's the youngest male gymnast competing in Beijing. :)
  10. Melinda

Ha ha! You went for it too early :D
  11. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

You're clearly a troll.
  12. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

I don't really watch gymnastics so I didn't know about her. Her floor and uneven bars were brilliant (I can't watch the beam - too scary :oops: )

I might watch Louis today :)
  13. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

:hmm: :(
  14. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

you wanna explain that?

I only posted this cos of JC's equally facetious thread re: black people in track & field
  15. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Fight wank with wank then? :)
  16. strung out

strung out (",)

it's the only way
  17. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

*looks around for the babywipes to clean up the white, wet stuff*
  18. London_Calling

Ahh, I see. I thought you got your inspiration from my post at the end of the thread you mention, and you forgot to mention that.
  19. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

No I didn't, didn't even read that thread properly
  20. London_Calling

Coincidence then.
  21. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

fools seldom differ ;)
  22. Melinda

Trashy! Louis won bronze!

The first EVER GBR gymnastivs medal of ANY colour!

Euphoria! :D:D
  23. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

Sweet.

:)
  24. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

:D
  25. E.J.

E.J. Away from U75

I'm old enough to remember (16 years old at the time & smiled at) the first black swimmer that actually won an Olympic swimming title medal was Anthony Nesty from Suriname who won the 100m butterfly title. He beat the pre-race favourite Matt Biondi by 1/100th of a second :cool: It dispelled the theory that a black man or woman couldn't swim or yet alone beat world class opponents!!

Anthony Nesty:-

[​IMG]

Hopefully Cullen Jones efforts in swimming will encourage dem youth's of today to take up swmming
  26. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

There's that Puerto Rican lass too, she's gorgeous, Maria Corrella or something?
  27. Firky

Maritza Correia, stunningly beautiful

[​IMG]

No abroginals in the Australian team, kind of ironic since they're the only true Australians in Australia. Amongst the most oppressed ethnic group in one of the richest countries in the world. :(
  28. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

loads of aborigines in AFL though
  29. Firky

30. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

They're Aussie Rules mad in the NT and that's got the biggest aboriginal population in Aus I think.

Did you know the first Australian cricket team to tour England was an aboriginal side?