1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is more "brixton", SW2 or SW9?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by isvicthere?, Sep 24, 2004.

1. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

After the extended, and ultimately very acrimonious, thread about how "Brixton" Chris Filter might be, I thought it may offer a bit of light relief to pose the question above.

Please try to keep your comments humorous (some hope!)

What do people think?

(Got to work now, so will post my own thoughts later).
  2. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

SW9, cos that's what the film said, and that can't be wrong. also, posh Hill types like Minnie the Minx live in SW2 :p
  3. suzee blue cheese

suzee blue cheese Well-Known Member

SW9 is classed as Stockwell by the GPO. I was surprised to find I didn't live in Brixton having previously considered my place to be in the heart of it being a mere 2 minute walk from the Tube and High Street.
  4. Carageto

Carageto New Member

The tube station postcode is SW9 and so are most of the shops along the high street so in my view that's Brixton. I live on Moorlands Estate and junk mail often gets delivered saying Stockwell but when Lambeth changed all address on the estate a few yrs ago the letter from them classed it as Brixton.
  5. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Clearly SW2 is the genuine Brixton article. The Ritzy, The Town Hall, The Fridge and many more Brixton landmarks fall into this esteemed postcode. We've got the places, the parks, the people ... even those poshos down Brixton Hill.

Outside of the market and the Academy, things are grim in SW9. It even encompasses those sketchy areas like Stockwell and 'North Clapham.' Mark my words - before long Estate Agents will be branding the whole SW9 area as Clapwell or something similar. Rubbish!

SW2 all the way...

;) :p
  6. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

You've hit the mail on the head. SW2 is for the gentrifiers, SW9 is for the 'real' Brixtonites - we've got the tough estates, the mean streets of Coldharbour Lane, the Albert and, fittingly, the cop shop.
  7. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

SW2 is soooo Saint Rreatham, Darlink.
  8. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

it's a tough one. i've always felt that sw2 was brixton, just because that was the first post code i had when i moved to the area - just off acre lane. but then sw2 is streatham as well isn't it? and that's not brixton at all.

maybe we should lobby for a new postcode. is there an official map that covers the brixton borders? i always feel a sense of coming into brixton when the bus turns onto the top of brixton road by kennington park and a sense of leaving brixton when crossing over the south circular into streatham. but the east and west borders seem less distinct.

that was a laughfest wasn't it? sorry vic!
  9. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

I'm SW2 but 'bottom of the hill', as Minxy is always keen to point out. Besides, SW9 is so posh, it has a (s)wanky wine bar named after it. :p :p

Better a swoo than a swine :p
  10. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Rather StReatham than Cla'am maam...

You may have the advantage in number of Poundstretchers, but we've got the Library and the cultural heart of Brixton in SW2.

And the centre of the crack trade (the Rushcroft - Saltoun- Atlantic Road triangle) is in SW2 as well. How much more Brixton do you need....

;)
  11. Yossarian

Yossarian moving the bomb line

Out of classic Vic's Cabaret Corner poems, I liked "The Streets are Fine in Southwest Nine" better than "The Streets are full of dog poo in SW2" or "Your Mum's a whore in SE24."
  12. editor

Excuuuuse me! I think you'll find we have a roaring crack trade in SW9 and a veritable highway of hussling along Coldharbour Lane.

And when it comes to discarded needles per sq inch, Loughborough Park/Moorlands/Coldharbour makes SW2 look like a kid's party!

As for culture - you might have the library, but we've got the street market, innit!

SW2 for the gentrifiers and toffs!
    SW9 for the real Brixtonites!
  13. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

Damn, my crack dealing empire has been rumbled. :(
  14. isvicthere?

I'd have to say SW2 - it's got the REAL hardcore estate: Tulse Hill, which pisses all over the LJ's and Moorlands's chips, plus the Windmill, and the windmill. Then there's the Hob, a streetcred antidote to the hopelessly Tallulah-ed living bar. Also, apart from the Albert, SW9 is awash with a much higher density of "bahs" than SW2.

In fact, SW2 is SO hard I'm surprised SW9-ers dare to venture into its sceptred precincts.
  15. clandestino

well if that's your attitude, the quicker we put up a wall between the two, the better!

:p
  16. Blunders500

Blunders500 Singing the Absurd

I am by Fiveways where Loughbrough Rd bends.
    I am SW9 and consider myself Brixton
    However when I had my bike removed from my hallway overnight ( most annoying as i cycle to work ) some time ago, I phoned Brixton OB as my local station. They redirected me to Stockwell coppers who I was told should be my first port of call and were in fact my 'local' station.
  17. isvicthere?

Oooops! I've shot myself in the foot above, haven't I?
  18. editor

The Windmill? That's practically Streatham!

Tulse Hill?! Do me a favour! That's a garden suburb for gentrifiers fleeing the crack trade of Coldharbour Lane!
  19. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Oi, watch it you :p

Me, posh? :D :D :D
  20. isvicthere?

Not the station, but the estate, which practically borders on the Hob and is WELL skanky inna inner-city-decaying stylee.
  21. Minnie_the_Minx

Not to mention the lovely Rush Common and a tree lined Hill. Oh, and the Housing and Council Tax offices are in Brixton Hill. If SW9 were the true Brixton they'd be stuck down there :D Oh, and then of course, there's Brixton Prison :D

Definitely SW2. We offer all the valuable services to you SW9ers
  22. Minnie_the_Minx

Well we've got the Windmill :oops:

As for the cop shop, where do people go after that? Brixton Prison :D
  23. Minnie_the_Minx

Oh, I must remember that one :D
  24. editor

Yes. But it's called Tulse Hill. Not Brixton! And it's in SE24!

And - get this - it's got a toff-tastic hockey club!

Ra! Ra! Ra!
  25. Minnie_the_Minx

Yes, but where did Vic hold his Comedy nights? The Windmill of course :p
  26. Minnie_the_Minx

We've already created a boundary in Brixton Water Lane. That's the imaginary river dividing SW2 and SW9
  27. clandestino

no it isn't. i lived on the estate just by the tesco garage last year and it was in sw2. tulse hill - the hill - starts just by the hob.
  28. clandestino

i know that, but is an imaginary boundary enough any more? maybe more drastic steps need to be taken.
  29. editor

Part of Tulse Hill most certainly is SE24. Look it up!

And it's still got a ra ra hockey club!
  30. Minnie_the_Minx

I think you may be right. Our own Brixton Wall

Plus it will give all the SW9 ragamuffins something to grafitti

[​IMG] :D

[​IMG]