1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Greebo

Greebo All the personality of your own plastic copy.

Finally got around to watching Perfume. Not nearly as good as the book.

Reno likes this.
  2. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

Winter's Bone. Moving, tense, very, very well-acted, gripping. Surprised at how good (great?) this was. A young girl needs to find her father, or his body if he's dead, to stop the courts taking her family's house.

Strongly recommended.

Belushi and Idris2002 like this.
  3. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

wonderful film that, the tone of the whole thing is bleak, but never wholly depressing. Beautifully shot, and Jennifer Lawrence is superb.

On a rather different note....watched Sarah Millican’s Chatterbox last night. Very funny indeed, we laughed lots.

4. Dr Alimantado

Dr Alimantado Balmed

Very stylish film. What ruins it is the website selling a perfume coffret, whatever that is when it's at home:
    http://www.perfumemovie.com/

5. Greebo

Haven't seen the website, but the book's language is extremely sensual (even in translation), in a way which just wasn't adapted well to film this time.

6. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

The film of The Perfume had a self-conscious and artificial look to it, all the grubbiness looked carefully art directed and looked like movie squalor rather than the real thing. Like many big budget European co-productions it felt like a film that had little personality and most of it faded from my memory soon after I saw it. I read the book in the 80s and remember enjoying it a lot more.

7. redsquirrel

redsquirrel Exterminate Russell Davis

Bob le Flambeur - Continuing to work through Melville's films. Absolutely brilliant, like all the Melville films I've seen it looks fantastic and manages to keep the main plot going while still giving proper character backgrounds. I saw the Neil Jordan remake before this version but that doesn't come close to this.

Plus Isabella Corey is insanely good looking.

8. andy2002

andy2002 To the Bat-poles!

Contagion: Steven Soderbergh's 'killer epidemic' film. It was OK but felt a bit flat somehow - the characters weren't terribly interesting and, for a disaster movie, it was very low-key, which I'm guessing was the point. But still...

9. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Damn right.

10. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

Batman Under the Red Hood. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1569923/

Quite a cool, gothic film, which seems to be available on youtube and is well worth 75 minutes, especially if you're into the novels or have played the recent games.

11. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

Watched Inception for the 2nd time (first time at the flicks) and now I finally understand all the dream layers.

12. Greebo

The Crucible, tonight, that's how little there is worth watching or listening to as far as I'm concerned.

13. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever dumber than i appear on paper

One Day

I didnt want to watch this, but the mrs got it

Today I feel slighty soiled by the mawkish emotional triggers employed thoughout the film. Didnt connect with any of the charachters, didnt like the hybrid scouse/ Daphney from Frasier/ American accent used. Truly rotten film

14. Finished watching Strumpet City this afternoon. Fairly engrossing, if a bit pedestrian by today's standards. Wonder how much Ustinov got paid for his cameo :)

15. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

We started watching Your Highness but it was such a load of utter toss we went to bed instead.

16. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Tinker Tailor -atmospheric chain smoking bunch of secret service toffs who are all sexually or emotionally disfunctional hang about in dark rooms seeking information or misinformation.. It was ok but not as good as the TV series and the who dunnit part was so vague I lost interest and just admired Smiley.

17. Sometimes there's too much tossing in bed and I have to watch telly instead

18. Idris2002

Idris2002 The Wing of Zock, representing HOPE

Little Caesar. The rise and fall of a thirties' gang boss, played by Edward G. Robinson. What struck me as interesting was that some of the shots were set up in the same way that the old silent movies would have been, even though this is from 1931, and is mainly a talkie.

Worth watching, even after eight decades.

discokermit likes this.
  19. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

One of the best films of recent years, and Jennifer Lawrence should have got the Oscar.

20. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

Watched La Haine again the other evening, still great.

21. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

I also loved Winter's Bone - was almost a film noir really, plotwise. Hillbilly noir.

22. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

I'll be going to see Hunger Games next week on the strength of Lawrence's performance.

/dex mutates into a twihard

23. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

The Help. Simplistic and manipulative and the type of film engineered to appeal to Oscar voters. I probably should have hated it and yet it was rather watchable thanks to a great cast. Octavia Spencer absolutely deserved her Oscar for best supporting performance.

24. butchersapron

Never great.

25. Orang Utan

You not a fan then?

26. butchersapron

27. Orang Utan

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Big Lebowski

29. Greebo

Hot Tub Time Machine

30. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

c'mon. not even this?

Jeff Robinson likes this.