1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does this load of big words mean? (BBC website)

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Oswaldtwistle, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle Banned

From a link from the BBC homepage...

"The BBC Executive has asked the BBC Trust for permission to develop a joint venture to promote a standards based open environment for internet connected television devices, otherwise known as ‘Project Canvas’. For consumers this would enable subscription-free access to on-demand television services and other internet-based content, through a broadband connected digital device.

The Trust has determined that Canvas is a non-service activity. Whilst a full Public Value Test is not appropriate, a rigorous evidence-based assessment, including an analysis of public value and market impact will be undertaken. This will involve public consultation, where we invite industry stakeholders, audience groups and licence fee payers to comment on proposals."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/open_consultations/canvas.html

In very plain English, what is this and what will it do?
  2. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

The BBC want to build a way to watch TV online.
  3. rich!

rich! stalin tache

that you can use on any operating system - phone, PDA, netbook, desktop, OpenBSD, VMS, MVS, whatever.

Interesting...
  4. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

And seemingly not a proprietary one, or at least not just beeb, too.
  5. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Nadie espera a la inquisicion española.

And they're under attack for unfair commercial advantage so I think the whole thing is trying to avoid that.
  6. subversplat

subversplat writer of wrongs

"Non-service activity" anyone? Is that a licence fee issue?
  7. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

That would be my guess.

If it is outside the license fee, there has to be money in it somewhere?
  8. gsv

gsv cultured

This is not a new service - ie not a new telly station or similar. It's a new way of delivering existing services.
    I think new services require a greater level of scrutiny, and possibly legislation.

GS(v)