1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do posh perfumes smell like ?

Discussion in 'Wintervaltide - Xmas and Year Review 2011' started by gentlegreen, Dec 18, 2011.

1. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

One thing I cannot abide is fake fruit smells in toiletries. They're fucking rank. My mother insists on buying me shitty fruit scented soap and shower gel for christmas every year and it goes straight to the charity shop every year.
  2. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Ezekiel 23:20

But Body Shop toiletries are like fruit smoothies - not synthetic at all... the grapefruit one is very subtle.

I'll have a refreshing citrus wash and get back to the office ready for my toast and tea - though I haven't been spreading marmalade recently - but I do have a fizzy vitamin pill dissolved in grapefruit juice.

I can't even cope with mint toothpaste these days - I have apricot instead.
  3. madzone

It's body shop shit my mum buys me.
  4. spanglechick

spanglechick Only bad witches are ugly... Are you a bad witch?

yeah - i used to work for body shop, their fruity stuff is no less fake than anything else that heavily perfumed. i guess, gentlegreen, that you just like the sweet fruity stuff and not more complex scents.

fwiw, expensive perfumes are more likely to use essential oils and absolutes, and are therefore less 'fake'.
  5. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

Body Shop do a good musk (White Musk). Can't you tell your mum you like that one instead?

(I'm a bloke and I've bought some for myself in the past :) ).
  6. madzone

God no. I wore White Musk in my 20's. I'm not going there again.
  7. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

OK, fair dos.
  8. madzone

My mother has zero idea of what I like. I just grin and bear it and give it away.
  9. mrfusion

mrfusion Is nice to idiots

Does anyone think they could accurately gauge whether a perfume is expensive or cheap based on the smell?
  10. madzone

I dunno but in the Summer when Lidl were touting that £5 stuff as an alternative to Chanel I smelt it and it literally made me want to vomit. I reckon cheap perfumes smell very different from expensive ones after a couple of hours of wearing them.
  11. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

There's a definite difference between some or 'celebrity' stuff and something more expensive. The cheap stuff doesn't last, change or have any depth to it.
  12. Bassbitch

Bassbitch Follow the yellow brick road

they're doing that again on their christmas leaflet i saw it this morning and just thought ye right, pull the other one it has bells on :rolleyes: :D
  13. wayward bob

wayward bob official sideboard pervert

how did i do? :hmm:

i knew what you wear but in the end i had to pick the one i liked the best :facepalm:
  14. moose

moose with the voice of Roger Tilling

Just get in there, gg. :D In a busy department store, you can sniff away without any hassle.
    Top tip: take an envelope of coffee beans with you and sniff them in between, to stop your nose getting confused.
  15. madzone

It fucking STINKS.
    Basswhore likes this.
  16. madzone

Absolutely spot on. I love it :cool:
  17. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

I went on a perfume website recently to look at reviews of a perfume and couldn't believe the way women were talking about perfume. You'd think they were wine connoisseurs or something :D
  18. wayward bob

wayward bob official sideboard pervert

you don't have to say that but i'm glad you did :D

they have a huge reference book in jo malone, so you go in and say what your recipients favourite scent is and they narrow it down to a category. yours came up as citrus, but i reckoned it was light floral too. as it was i couldn't stand any of the floral ones so i went with the citrus instead, cos i liked it :D
  19. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I couldn't but there are definetly people that can. There are different strengths of perfume. Eau de toilette is the cheap, watered down version, the perfume will not last, iirc there is something between this and eau de parfum but it is a long time since I found out about it and can't remember. Eau de parfum is the more concentrated version and the perfume will linger, often til the next day.

GG, if you are buying perfume for someone else be very careful. Perfume is a very individual thing because everyone's body scent is different and how each of us mixes with a perfume is greatly variable. Eg, on me Joop smells (imo) rancid, but on a friend it smells lovely. I had to ask her what it was and was very surprised when she told me!
  20. mentalchik

mentalchik far too big for her boots

Don't like that many 'ladies' perfumes, they smell far too 'sweet' and cloying to me......

fav smells for me are jasmine, sandalwood, patchouli etc
  21. such and such

such and such Scones then fucking.

I just buy men's fragrances. So far no one has run down the street wielding a pitchfork calling me a deceitful hussy. Though maybe due to my appearance they really do think I'm a bloke :cool:
    To be honest a lot of perfumes/scents are unisex or verging on doing so I don't think you have to wear something just because it's marketed as being for women. I hate really sweet cloying things as well (especially things like Babydoll)
  22. such and such

Oh, a while ago I read a book called "Perfumes: The Guide". Sounds like it would be boring as fuck but the writing was so entertaining that I really loved reading it.
  23. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat Tony Chestnut knows

24. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

That's because they're a lot nicer. I used to wear Paco Rabanne and another one whose name escapes me
  25. such and such

I wear Gucci Envy for blokes. I love spicy/warm kind of things.
  26. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti frixy

Yeah absolutely. Cheap perfume basically smells like one of the Lynx range, and tends to diffuse really quickly - i.e. there is no subtlety in terms of how it changes based on how long it is on your skin.
  27. such and such

Oh yeah, to answer the first question. Posh perfume smells like burning money and the tears of orphans.
  28. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat Tony Chestnut knows

they are better, but why? why do they assume we (women) want to smell like douche?
  29. such and such

Because ALL women love flowers and rainbows and glitter and strawberry lollipops and unicorn and that sort of thing.
    twentythreedom likes this.