1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the wardrobe staples/classics?

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by smmudge, Jan 15, 2012.

1. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

wow - you're super-slim and well-proportioned, so pretty much anything you take a fancy to will flatter your body. in broader terms, then: tailoring, blouses in gorgeous fabrics, lightweight fitted sweaters and cardigans, pencil dresses... and knee boots! Have fun, though.

smmudge likes this.
  2. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Loafers are more fashionable and sturdier than ballet pumps. You can also get comfortable lowish heels from places like Clark's - Mary Janes work with most things, or wedges are a good alternative.

Gem - a Breton top is a classic stripey t-shirt or jumper, French stylee.

geminisnake likes this.
  3. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

For me its wide legged black linen trousers. Black stretchy tops. Black cardy.
    Colour from accessories, which with me a normally red.

4. smmudge

smmudge We teach life, sir.

5. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

i like the colour - and you could wear all black with purple accessories... but it's a bit studenty, no?

6. Voley

Voley "This huge hill of flesh"

Those shoes are fucking shit. That's my fashion advice, smmudge. I hope that helps.

smmudge likes this.
  7. strict machine

strict machine Less like a vampyr with each passing day

8. Voley

Voley "This huge hill of flesh"

Sorry. I haven't had a drink for a fortnight. I normally get all this stuff out on Friday night.

9. smmudge

Oh, yeah maybe a bit :facepalm: :D

10. 8115

8115 doesn't smoke

Those shoes are nice.

11. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

A great pair of jeans are a staple for any person I'd say. Get a nice fit and cut and you can dress them up or down.

Fitted shirts are great for looking sophisticated.

You can't beat a good trouser or skirt suit. Spend a decent amount on a good quality one and they'll last years.

A nice scarf / pashmena / whatever the fuck those things are called that people wear inside and outside. Get some with great patterns and paired even with a plain black top they seem to add a bit of style.

I don't have any other ideas. I dress like a student. Probably because I am one. Though everybody else on my course always seems considerably better dressed than me. I just can't bear wearing anything other than jeans / trackies, t-shirts or shirts and hoodies. I don't know how people do it with all these knee high boots and skinny flare and low cut tops.

12. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

With them you've got a choice of black, a lot of greens or/and blues. They'd be fine with leggings, jeans and a lot of skirts too imo. I'd probably go flarey type of skirt tbh :)

13. moose

moose with the voice of Roger Tilling

Never buy shoes described as 'edgy'. Or anything else for that matter.

14. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

What about a protractor?

moose likes this.
  15. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Tbf you can ignore most of the blurb on any schuh description imo/e :)

16. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Oh.....

17. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Don't forget a birthday suit! :D

18. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Flat knee high boots can be worn casually or for smarter occasions, wrap dress are a comfortable and easy way of frocking. I find cotton leggings more comfortable than tights and they don't ladder.
    Buy a good jacket. I like trench coats as they can be either smart or casual and you don't have to worry about got jacket matching the rest of your outfit or anything as its pretty much covered..

I don't accessorise, I really can't be bothered. I keep meaning to buy myself some nice jewellery but I forget.

19. smmudge

I bought quite a bit recently and did a massive clear out of all the sameysamey clothes I had so now I have to wear more interesting clothes! Includes lots of dresses and nice boots and scarves. Might post some pics at some point. Still in jeans though because it's freeeeezing :( But jeans with nice boots :)

20. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Jeans aren't warm imho. Get some thermal tights/leggings from Uniqlo and you can wear dresses with abandon.

21. smmudge

I wear tights under my jeans too :oops: :D