1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Dead

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by ohmyliver, Aug 25, 2010.

1. andy2002

andy2002 To the Bat-poles!

I think this is complete cobblers, to be honest. The comic is paced really well - there are interludes when the action slows down for a bit but it rarely lasts more than an issue or two. I think that makes a lot of sense - let the characters catch their breaths and interact before the shit hits the fan again. And are you really complaining about a post-apocalyptic, zombie horror story being violent? What do you expect exactly?

It isn't always easy to like the characters either but it is easy to sympathise with them. It's the whole point of the book - regular people being forced into this terrible situation in which they do terrible things to survive. They are unravelling mentally, physically and morally before our very eyes and therefore frequently unlikeable. The title - The Walking Dead - describes the plight of the characters as much as it does the zombies.

The only criticism I'd have of the book is that it lacks humour. People find something to joke about in the most outrageously bleak situations and I suspect a zombie apocalypse would be no different.

2. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

hence Rick saying we are the walking dead...

TBf if you stopped at Michonnes rape then you'd probably think it was a brutal series but it's not even half way through and it's no where near ending as yet at 79 (released in about a week) with the pacing of the TV series then I'd expect Rick to find the camp and Shane to die in the next episode and have them packing ready to leave... Which to me might lose a little in it's appeal...

3. Kidblast

Kidblast Well-Known Member

Read my post again because I think you missed the part where I wrote "I ditched it". That means I am no longer reading it. It's standard etiquette to at least pretend you read a post before attributing a response to it :facepalm:

The story is just fantastically wack and it is poorly written. Simple as that.

Grabbed the first episode today. Will watch it later.

4. GarfieldLeChat

You're an illiterate ignoramus...

that's clear...

5. The Rural Juror

The Rural Juror Banned Banned

no idea about the comic but the opening episode of the show was pretty poor: well made, decent effects, but riddled with cliches.

6. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

I also noticed there wasn't a single advert during it at all. :eek:

7. TrippyLondoner

I strongly disagree.

8. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

FX showed the "director's cut" version of the first episode, which runs at about 70 minutes instead of 44.

9. TrippyLondoner

Ah that explains it.

10. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

Pretty good for starters - Egg made a decent fist of it - not familiar with the books and I'm not expecting anything wildly original, so I'll probably enjoy it. And there's bugger all on TV on Fridays anyway.

11. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

Honestly, anybody thinking Walking Dead is some sort of horribly violent and disgusting zombie comic book has clearly never read Crossed.

12. mentalchik

mentalchik far too big for her boots

I concur with this

13. janeb

janeb WW Tyrion do?

Thought that was really good :)

14. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Apart from the blatant 28 days rip off with the wake up in hospital though it was promising. Well paced and at least we knew why he was in hospital and what was happening over the course of the first episode.

One thing though, how long was he in a 'coma'/sedated given the obvious relationship between his wife and his oppo? Oras i'm thinking was his wife was already having an affair with his mate?

15. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

With luck should have episode 2 by the end of the day. :mad: @ BT

And it's a zombie series....of course there will be cliche's a plenty....it's zombies FFS!

16. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

I believe its already been pointed out the comics came before 28 Days, and if anything is being ripped off it's probably the opening sequence of the Day of the Triffids.

Episode 2 is now available for download.

17. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Fair enough. Aye it would appear than that both took a wee bit from DotT.

18. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

19. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

FWIW, it would seem that 28 Days Later was 2002 and the comic series started in 2003.

Still, you are right about the Triffids.

:)

20. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Is that the same kid that got eaten by vamps in 'Dusk till Dawn'?

21. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

That's what happens when one doesn't check before typing :oops: .... Those comics must've been banged out monthly, quite a feat.

Episode two: they seem to be diverging from the Comic already, which is good.

22. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

Is this scary?

23. mentalchik

mentalchik far too big for her boots

well i managed it and i'm a big wuss especially when it comes to zombies.......tiny bit but nothing major

24. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Kirkman on 28 Days Later similarities

"Welcome to my life seven years ago. It was complete coincidence. I saw 28 Days Later shortly before the first issue of Walking Dead was released. That first issue came out in October of 2003 and 28 Days Later was released in the States in June of 2003. So we were working on our second issue by the time I saw it. It was going to be a matter of somehow trying to restage the entire first issue, because it was a very similar coma opening. I made a decision—which I pretty much regret at this point—I said, “You know what? It’s so different [from that point on], I will probably never hear anything about this.” And I was wrong. It was a little annoying. But great minds think alike, right?

Source

25. GarfieldLeChat

sorry what the fuck are they all doing in the city that doesn't happen til much later, ditto the smearing themselves in zombie gunk...

why didn't rick and glenn leap from roof to roof...

why was a charcter which only appears way after the farm and the prison appeared shakelled to the roof now...

Lori and Shane WTF, seriously they fucked twice early on as lori reveals at the prison then nothing she hated him cos of her guilt she wasn't some sex starved nymph temptress waiting for a banging....

seriously played that all wrong...

man this is going down hill straight away...

26. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw No Gravitas Allowed

Fuck off with the spoilers from the comics, dude!

27. TrippyLondoner

Haven't read the comics but it would be abit crap if they were both exactly the same wouldn't it?

28. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

You realise Kirkmans been very involved in this and announced several times that there will be differences, some major, to the comics right?

For one thing an exact match to the comic would probably reach the end of issue 78 by the end of the first season

29. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

Not familiar with the comics but I like an 'adaptation' rather than a slavish reproduction, myself.....if I wanted a totally true to the book experience, I'd read the book. There's an advantage I think in not knowing exactly what will happen.

30. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw No Gravitas Allowed

And hopefully people who have read the comics refrain from making any comments about them in the TV show thread.