1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vat refunds... how long for payment?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by free spirit, Jul 8, 2010.

1. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

as in the thread title, does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes to receive a VAT refund after submitting a vat return online on vat return day?

I've not done vat before, am owed £1200 and have about £30 to cashflow me until the vat man or one customer or another pays up, so am being a bit impatient I guess (as I only did the return on 30th June).:confused:
  2. sparklefish

sparklefish Well-Known Member

From the HMRC website

3. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

oh thanks, I missed that bit:cool:
  4. sparklefish

sparklefish Well-Known Member

No worries, I know my way around the site pretty well.
  5. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I had refunds twice with VAT, neither took long to come - the second one was paid on the date they would have taken money if I owed them (iirc. it was the 19th of the month after the VAT return was due), the first one was when I reg'd the company for VAT and it was quick, but I can't remember how long it took - they called me to check it was correct though, as we were reclaiming something like £3k of VAT, and I had to scan and email them copies of the larger invoices, but I'm pretty sure they made the payment immediately once they had those invoices.
  6. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

Recipe for massive tax evasion that policy of almost automatic repayment ("process now, check later") of claimed refunds.
  7. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Yeah I was expecting to have to provide proof for the second refund but didn't. I did have to provide proof for the first one though and I assume that if anyone continually reclaimed vat or reclaimed large amounts would be checked.