1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University Challenge 2011/12

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by London_Calling, Aug 2, 2011.

1. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

It's a fucking game show, people :D
  2. sojourner

sojourner Lord of the Ponce

Exactly! :cool: I lay into the teams soon as they're mentioned, BEFORE actually if I check the telly info, and I'm afraid my southern prejudice DOES come into it :D If there's a Northern team playing, they're the ones I want to win. If it's two southern teams, then points are awarded for intelligence, geekery (did you notice that Moz from the IT crowd was on the team this week? hehe), general oddjobness, and points deducted for smug pretentious wankers with stupid hair and punchable faces :) It's a pure scientific logic, I'm sure you'll agree Maggot :p

I do exactly the same with contestants on Mastermind too - Northerners are automatically voted for
  3. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

But not always middle class. I had free dinners in school and I went to uni :)
  4. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

I do the same, but with a bias against Oxbridge and towards Southern teams and teams with fit burds on!
    sojourner likes this.
  5. sojourner

Well, I wasn't going to mention the fit chicks, but seeing as you have, yeh - that does come into it on occasion :D
  6. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

Not far off the correct method of choosing, but it is actually:
    Alma mater Number 1 choice
    Oxbridge teams disregarded on sight- (inc Durham and that posh Scotty one)
    Northern teams - good
    All male teams - bad (bonus points for women doing subjects such as Engineering)
    All white teams - bad
    Generally posh sounding - bad
    Teams that are 'doing' a subject - good
    Wearers of Hawkwind t-shirts - double plus good

For 'Hawkwind t-shirt' one may substitute 'generally groovy looking dude/dudess'
    frogwoman likes this.
  7. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Cat Herder

what if there both teams are oxbridge? i always pick cambridge over oxford.
  8. sojourner

You forgot one - if they 'read' rather than 'study' they're disqualified under the Complete Fucking Wankers Act
  9. sojourner

Hah - I always pick Oxford cos 1) I really like the place, and 2) one of my favourite writers, Jeanette Winterson, went there

Cutting edge of precision logic, right there ^^
  10. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Cat Herder

the only reason i pick the cantabrigians is because my grandfather is one.
  11. sojourner

:D Fucking bunch of weirdos we are
  12. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

I just hope Paxo sneers a lot. The other rules come to the fore, but the important thing is that the loser does really shit, so they cant get a best runners up spot.
    They are allowed to say 'I'm reading Film', but otherwise, you are correct
  13. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Looking forward to the final tonight. There's a documentary about UC on before it at 7pm.
  14. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

But they still wont have found the footage of that other Manchester team who answered 'Trotsky' to every question, the buggers
  15. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Why is BBC2 showing an episode of Coast when it's supposed to be a University Challenge documentary? :confused:
  16. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

cracking final, got a bit tense towards the end, but the wonderous northerners held out.

Wonder if Burke knows Tom (Masterchef runner-up), both about the same age n from the same town...
    sojourner and Maggot like this.
  17. starfish

starfish Aloof but effective.

Thought Pembroke might have caught them at one point. The presentation was quite painful to watch.
  18. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

We turned off as soon as the parasite turned up. Lazy shit couldn't even be bothered to go to Manchester for the presentation
  19. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Manchester had the stronger team, four brains against two for Pembroke College. They really needed another Pugh in the team. Not to mention a Barney McGrew.
    Maggot likes this.
  20. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Well done Manchester! Deserved winners.

I know a Tom Burke.
    sojourner likes this.
  21. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Almost got tense for a bit but not really. Entertaining enough.

That was a wonderfully awkward presentation. Who was the bloke in the platinum wig?
  22. sojourner

Well we were on the edge of our couch - and I did actually scream at the end :D Fuckin GERRIN Manchester!!!
  23. barney_pig

barney_pig Po-cha-na-quar-hip

Was the final shorter than a normal heat? So that parasitic worm who couldn't even be arsed to attend could be wheeled in.
    What a sycophantic. Wanker paxo is.
    The right team won tho. Yay mancs!
    sojourner likes this.
  24. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Makes yer feel proud. Fuck off Oxbridge. :)
    King Biscuit Time and sojourner like this.
  25. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

up the mancs etc!
  26. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Wasn't it Marx? I looked and can't find it either.

(apparently it was "Che Guevara", "Marx", "Trotsky" or "Lenin", I laughed my arse off when I watched that).
    frogwoman likes this.
  27. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

28. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail No English, Straight Patois.

I've just come second in a pub quiz to the Mckenna guy from this years M'cr team, only beat us by half a point!
  29. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

ooh, he was the one who actually looked like a normal person!
  30. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail No English, Straight Patois.

I was looking at him thinking I knew him from somewhere, but couldn't place it until my mate spotted him too. Still got a bottle of red though.