1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Union of the Unemployed?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Awesome Wells, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment

Why not a nationwide union for claimants and their rights? I know there are a few groups in certain areas, and that there are opportunities for the unemployed to join existing unions (not sure what that achieves). But there doesn't seem much at all that really represents those of us under the cosh of the DWP.

Jeff Robinson and J Ed like this.
  2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

Unite do a community union. There was a thing (don't know if its still extant), Politically Active Not Seeking Employment. Used to stop the money of claimants deemed too bolshy

BigTom, Awesome Wells and Greebo like this.
  3. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Funding would be an issue I imagine.

BigTom, Awesome Wells and Greebo like this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for an independent feline republic of catford

As Fez has said, funding is going to be an issue - if the subs were enough to keep such a union functioning, then most unemployed people wouldn't be able to afford them.

I'd like to see more unions do a heck of a lot more to reach out to people who are unemployed and /or in the cycle of unemployment / workfare / casual jobs.

Quite apart from the obvious benefits, it would make it a damn sight harder for the tories and their chums who own the press to try and portray unions as an 'other'

5. Awesome Wells

It would at least give a face or hopefully just some support to those of us stuck in Toryshire and similar parts of the UK.

Greebo likes this.
  6. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Unite community membership is 50p a week afaik but they have been trying to get larger organisation branches to pay for community subs and should in the future be putting a tick box on joining forms to ask people if they would like to pay for a community member's subs.

I'm told they debated whether to charge a sub or not and decided on charging a small amount as this would make people feel more memberly to be contributing while recognising that even a couple of quid a month is a lot for people hence trying to get other members to fund it.

ska invita, Greebo and Awesome Wells like this.
  7. Awesome Wells

What does Unite offer?

8. J Ed

J Ed this machine winds up fabians on twitter

An equivalent existed in the 1930s, a lot of British International Brigaders in the Spanish Civil War were members.

nino_savatte and Greebo like this.
  9. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah where's your ladders?

that would be an awesome thing. why not start it up Awesome Wells ?

10. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

The NUWM was a great initiative, largely tied to the CPGB and the good tactical sense of Wal Hannington - but it was a) immediately militant and b) supported by a much larger parent body with serious funding. Today we're more like in the situation of the early 70s claimant unions, but in a position of a more developed social atomisation, where the unemployed are rewarded for seeing fellow scroungers a competitors - and, crucially, without the state being politically prepared to make the adjustments that it could at that point without the sort of NUWM type militancy that has now all but disappeared - in the 70s you could still allow the state to buy you off (in a good way if you see what i mean). That situation is years and years away today. This stuff, is real real hard slog.

11. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

12. IWW has reduced membership subs for unemployed workers - we're just getting a branch going in my town and one of the things I'd like to see us do as a union is offer support and advice to people dealing with the benefits agencies.

nino_savatte, BigTom and Greebo like this.
  13. 8ball

8ball We are ALL Silent Whisper

How does the union react when negotiations fail?

Greebo likes this.
  14. Awesome Wells

That's interesting, their jobs website might be a suitable alternative for Universal Jobmatch. I wonder what the DWP would think of that.

Greebo likes this.
  15. butchersapron

What do you want this proposed union to do?

Greebo likes this.
  16. Awesome Wells

Would be great if the PCS could do that, sa they are the union of the JC+ advisers.

Greebo likes this.
  17. Awesome Wells

heh, I wouldn't know how. I don't think i'd be very good at that sort of thing anyway.

18. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

Strike.

19. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Stop calling them cogs.

The members get jobs until their demands are met. In full.

BigTom, Fez909, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  20. Awesome Wells

Whatever it can I suppose. Try and build solidarity with other unions and engage in peaceful protest. Strength in numbers. I don't really know. I wish I did.

Greebo likes this.
  21. butchersapron

Negotiations with who?

Greebo likes this.
  22. 8ball

8ball We are ALL Silent Whisper

You're right - I just haven't thought this one through.

Greebo and phildwyer like this.
  23. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

If a union was formed and an administration created - business officers, etc - those admin people would now have a job. Would they still be eligible to be members of the Union?

Greebo likes this.
  24. butchersapron

Why would they require a paid job to fulfill these functions?

BigTom and Greebo like this.
  25. butchersapron

Can i ask you a genuine question, why did you post that? What motivated you to post such pointless shit stirring?

J Ed likes this.
  26. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

The day that you ask a genuine question, will be the same day that turds emit from the back end of the Shroud of Turin.

27. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

[​IMG]

28. J Ed

I just want those in charge of businesses that think it is ok to use workfare to have to worry about fires, I want them to worry about their futures and their children's futures as much as most people have to.

8ball, The Pale King and Greebo like this.
  29. Fez909

Fez909 um...

How about protesting at the homes of the managers of these companies, as Unite did to the Grangemouth refinery managers?

Greebo and J Ed like this.
  30. J Ed

I wouldn't want to upset Helen Lewis