1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unemployed londoners get half price bus and tram oyster fares from 2nd April

Discussion in 'transport' started by tufty79, Apr 6, 2009.

1. tufty79

tufty79 Well-Known Member

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=21618
    sorry for the cut and paste...
    and if it's a duplication (did a search and couldn't find anything about this...)

50p bus fares - :cool:
  2. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually successfully got the Oystercard ? I asked when signing last week and my Back to Work Adviser said that they hadnt had the forms or any further information on the scheme.
  3. BEARBOT

BEARBOT robo-osita

ASAIK get the forms from the post office.

im on income support so ive gotten the photocard quite a few times now(each one is valid for 6 months)and each time i got the form from the post office, you need 2 small photos each time you apply as well..this discount photocard scheme came in under ken! shocked that BORIS is expanding it to include jobseekers:eek:..esp cos the logos on the back of the card read; mayor of london, bolivarian government of venezuela(!!!),transport for london.

is boris mates with chavez then?:eek::D
  4. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Sort of like a real Bohemian. Sort of.

Something to do with a fuel subsidy? How bizarre :confused:
  5. tufty79

tufty79 Well-Known Member

i just picked up the application form from the post office at ferndale road..
    when i can afford to get passport photos taken next week, i take the form to the tube station - they only need my proof of benefits and ID (i think), and they can use my existing oystercard to apply the discounty thing to :)

aces - watch out london, i will be transportable again soon :cool:
  6. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Yep, my b/f got sent the form months ago, but as he has his Freedom Pass I gave it to an unemployed friend. He'd never heard of it. I told him to just fill it in and apply and see what happened. He's had the card for a few weeks now and is well happy. People in the dole office never knew anything about it
  7. Minnie_the_Minx

Don't you know anyone with a camera and printer who will do it free?
  8. BEARBOT

BEARBOT robo-osita

tufty
    the times ive gottten the card ive taken the completed form and photos to the post office.they then give you the discount card..(which is 1/2 off bus and tram NOT tube sadly)which you take to a tube station to have the discount applied to yr oyster.
    im not sure a tube stations will do more than activate cards..im not sure they issue them IYSWIM.for certain the post office will:D

im just telling you this to save you any hassle..but hey i could be wrong.;)
  9. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

The job centre seem remarkably inept at anything bar asking if you've worked and getting you to sign a form whilst making daft suggestions and seeming surprised when you tell them that infact no that 6 day a week for 2 hours a day job isn't actually much help as all it will do is wipe out jsa and gain you the sum total of £2 a week. Also that the three jobs they flagged up that are full time that mean you to have qualifications you dont have as an essential requirement listed arent actually useful, for that exact reason. Then when its something fairly simple thats required that wont take long but will cost, they will then have no clue about funding, suggest they cant do anything until you have been out of work for 6 months and refer you to a charity instead who will then fail to ring you after leaving repeated messages.
  10. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I signed on temporarily last week, and knew I was eligible for this card, but it took three post offices before I found someone who believed me, because my letter said ESA rather than Income Support. They also rejected someone else on Jobseeker's Allowance. They were really ANGRY about their rebuttals, too.
  11. Minnie_the_Minx

You don't need to explain to me, I have plenty of experience of Job Centres :mad:
  12. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

In my experience the rest of the sentence is redundant.
  13. Minnie_the_Minx

You only have to take it to the tube station the 1st time though so they can register it. After that you can use any shop that tops up cards
  14. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Yay Ive got it!

At my most recent signing appointment after my little chat about job searching (Advisor: "So what have you done to search for jobs this week?" Me:"Well Ive looked for vacancies on the web, read the newspaper and phoned up my agency", Advisor: "OK, see you next time") I asked about the scheme and the advisor instead of looking blank actually had the forms available and so stamped, signed and gave it to me to take to the post office and then on to the tube station. Best thing is that the concession continues for six months after finding work
  15. tar1984

tar1984 write a song, i'll sing along

Thats a good idea.
  16. Maca

Maca New Member

17. mark dodds

mark dodds J Mark Dodds

Catford / Lewisham Jobcentre know NOTHING about this scheme. Or are just lying.

Incidentally people who've been on Jobseekers for three months have been entitled to a bus, tram and train discount card and, after six months, a card which discounts tube journeys as well. The first card must be renewed every six months the latter every three months. I found this out last year by drilling home the point that I was spending £25 a week in my work seeking. The Jobecentre staff, quiet clearly were under instruction NOT to tell claimants anything about these concessions.

just notice this in Maca's link above
  18. Minnie_the_Minx