1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top boy: stories of Hackney's young drug dealers. Channel 4.

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Rutita1, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yeah they fucked that up
    Kano even tweeted during episode 2 or 3 that the "timeline was fucked"

2. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

yeah, the timeline was fucked up, really badly shown and if I was going to watch it again I might see if there were even any indications in the dealer timeline or the young teenagers timelines to indicate how much time was supposed to have passed.
    It was just one line in the opening episode when the vietnamese guy said how long the crop would take that gave a concrete indication of how much time is meant to be covered by the drama.
    None of it felt like 13 weeks had gone by, more like a few days or a week maybe..

3. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I gave it a go because I've liked a couple of the novels Ronan Bennett's done ( The Catastrophist and Havoc in its Third Year) and as I recall his scripts for Face and The Hamburg Cell were OK. Saw Public Enemies and that was a bit by the numbers, and so was this despite all the research, as has been said. One of them things where you've got a lot of talent involved for less than the sum of its parts.

4. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

I don't know what you lot are moaning about that was a fucking excellent drama.

Reno, marty21 and Edie like this.
  5. Stoat Boy

Stoat Boy Banned Banned

Enjoyed it although found the ending far to contrived.

However the time line point is an interesting one and got me thinking that a show set over 13 weeks with the centre of it being the cultivation of a drugs 'crop' could be an interesting one with all the ins and outs that could be weaved into it.

Not my world so could not even begin to formulate a plot line but as a backdrop to a drama, well I reckon it would work.

6. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

when there is a murder in Hackney, the Hackney Gazette tends to sell out on Thursday when it comes out.

7. articul8

articul8 Guilty of Idealism

No I really disagree - it'd didn't glamourise anything. If anything it was a bit to heavy with the family morality stuff, but not in a way that undermined the plot. I'm not saying it was strictly realistic but it was a good drama, well-scripted, for the most part well-acted.

8. articul8

articul8 Guilty of Idealism

true

he wanted to get involved with the gang but Leon warned him off. Not too far fetched to see him roped in with the mj 'farm' etc.

9. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Anyone know if it's going to be a one-off, or if a second series or mini-series has been commissioned?

10. marty21

the ending suggested a second series - he's still standing, got away with it and that.

11. stavros

Whoever said the Eno soundtrack was good was OTM. Fine use of Fuck Buttons twice too. :cool:

12. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Breaking in my bra

I did. What is OTM?

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

On The Money

14. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Owed Twenty Margaritas

kalidarkone likes this.
  15. Psychonaut

Psychonaut Well-Known Member

Hes ripping them off.

16. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

i agree that the acting was generally good, but the plotting was poor and the claims to represent "real life", whatever that is, were misleading and in danger of glamourising something which is usually much more mundane tbf.

17. Edie

Edie Banned Banned

I thought this was really good. I mean it's drama right, it's gotta have a good story at the risk of being a bit implausible. best thing I've seen for ages!

18. Paulie Tandoori

then why trailer the thing as being the result of "2 years research"? i have no problem with it as a complete work of fiction.

19. Edie

Edie Banned Banned

Well research could be just to get a feel of it, pick up the jargon, find out how drug dealing gangs operate etc. I mean I'd kinda know fuck all about it, and I'm not exactly without experience of drugs and London estates. It don't mean it's a 'true story' does it?

20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Tippa Irie Top Boy vid

21. stavros

I think it was on the Grauniad website the other, they'd played it to a load of young males from Hackney and the area and they said the main gripe was that there was no sign whatsoever of the police.

22. stavros

Did anyone watch the start of the new series last night? Very good stuff.

Channel 4 is having a bit of a golden summer with drama; first The Returned, then Souythcliffe, and now this. :cool:

poptyping and Fozzie Bear like this.
  23. marty21

:cool:

haven't watched the first episode of the SECOND series yet, but will do.

24. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

To my surprise I started this thread and don't remember watching even one episode :hmm:

25. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Not seen the new one yet, but this is a quality thread bump.

26. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Pretty good, better than the 1st series I reckon. The little homeless lad is a good character, acted well too. Things will not go well for him, I predict.

stethoscope, poptyping and plurker like this.
  27. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

So the shadey solitictor wants to do Ashley Walters's laundry and not his socks. With the gentrification sub-plot going on I think can see where this is leading. Still streets ahead of most British gangster stuff.

poptyping likes this.
  28. Paulie Tandoori

29. stavros

A good score too, selected and/or composed by Eno I think.

30. bmd

bmd and you will see me

Solicitor turns up to a murder case and agrees to a drink with the suspect. Fuck off! It looks like she's setting him up for something but even so, there are bounds to believability.