1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TK maxx or Primark?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by rennie, Apr 3, 2006.

1. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

I wanna go shopping on saturday before I go on holiday... a few tops n dresses for the sun... I have a choice to make: Do I go to TK Maxx or Primark? what would you reccommend?
  2. LilMissHissyFit

LilMissHissyFit Disturbed in a pink bra

Primark definitely
  3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

primark
  4. marco mark

marco mark New Member R.I.P.

Primark for the girls, TK Max for the boys or better still Matalan :)

Happy Holidays
  5. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

three votes for primark then... tooting here I come! :)
  6. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

lol - i was wondering if you were going to brave the peckham one! to be fair thats the only one i've been in but it scares me :D
  7. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

is it bigger n better? I think I might stick to tooting.
  8. marco mark

& wood green :eek: :eek:
  9. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

what do people think about the ethics at shopping in these two - the prices are great, but its clearly sweatshop labour - however, is it any different in any other highstreet chainstore?

And the thing about buying clothes from these places is that you throw them away much quicker than you would other stuff.

I do buy the odd bit from primark (mainly socks), but i feel a bit guity about it too...
  10. marco mark

As you stated in your post, all high st shops, chains IS slave labour. From M&S down. ah maybe not zara, will check with my sis.
  11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i prefer tk maxx, you get all the brands there... like my current reebok trainers, and some diesel tops. i guess for ethics tk maxx is different cos they don't make their own clothes like primark, just sell other companies' clothes?
  12. marco mark

^^^ but high st. names knock out cheaper versions of their branded stuff to sell to TK Max, it's not really all last season, end of lines etc so no diff :(
  13. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

i like tk maxx - but it takes zen-like levels of patience.

That said, and impressing exactly no one on urban, i'm sure - i bought a lulu guinness handbag for £35 and an antler suitcase (it's pink!) for £40 last week.

mostly it's shit - but the do have some decent quality stuff in there.
  14. Girly Wirly

Girly Wirly Utterly Nutterly

I prefer tk maxx, primarks ok for socks and small other things but it seems 2 cheap! last time i went in a primark store was a couple of years ago..the quality of the clothes could of got better i suppose!
  15. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

and if you go with zara you then hit the minefield issue of fur. shopping ethically is hard.
  16. Cribynkle

Cribynkle squawk

TK Maxx if you've got the time and patience to rummage - Primark otherwise
  17. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

Primark aren't that unethical. This Mornings fashion woman did a feature on it and said they are able to keep their prices so low because they don't advertise etc.

eta - just googled it and found out they're very unethical :( :D @ self

eta again - just found this

from here http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/offline-shopping-misc/primark/1017553/
  18. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

unfortunately if you pay a tenner or forty or even a hudnred quid for something the person who made it got paid the same - i.e., fuck all an hour (before tax).

I think if you shop on the high street you have to be prepared that your buying sweatshop stuff.

As i said though, the other ethical issue is the turnover (waste) produced by cheap goods - at least if you fork out for a few quality items they last longer and you dont have to keep consuming and restocking you wardrobe every few weeks.

My wife has been thinking about sewing and knitting some of our own clothes (i'll believe it when i see it!), but its a joke that its goingt to cost that much more to buy material than it would to buy but it in a shop. - Any half decent material is pretty pricey these days...

Does anyone else make their own clothes??
  19. madzone

I spin wool and make jumpers, socks, hats, gloves etc. I get your point about throwaway clothes. I'd buy fairtrade clothes if I could but a) I can't afford it b) they don't go up to my size :(
  20. *Miss Daisy*

*Miss Daisy* Suck a Big Hairy....

:) I would go for Primark, just on the point that i hate looking around TK Maxx,,
    It really does my head in, Mr D can find something of interest within 5 mins, I on the other hand find it impossible, its like searching in a jumble sale which has had a hundred old grannies shifting everything everywhere,,Drives me potty :mad:
  21. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

There's actually alot of variation in salaries believe it or not - many of the factories that make unbranded value market stuff work on really tight margins so they can't pay much. Some parts of China currently have huge worker shortages so they are having to put their salaries up in order to attract workers. There can be as much as 100% difference in salaries between factories. I do know factories that won't work with value retailers - it is pretty impossible to make money, that's why - there are plenty out there that won't work with Walmart now,they all want to work with brands - because they can charge more and there is usually more loyalty between factory and customer.

Regarding ethics - if you are unable to visit the factory yourself and spend a few weeks there there really is no way of knowing. There is a massive difference in factories, they are all so different, can be run in different ways, different salaries, not all have dorms, some are constantly supervised,some are not, some have decent owners (I used to use a sneaker factory in Chang An which was run by Buddhists as a co-op), some have shitty owners. Also retailers can be quite crafty, getting the auditing done by a third party - that way if they get found out doing something nasty, they can blame the auditor. You can't even go by the country of origin on the label - it may have only been 'finished' in that country.

It's also more than a bit hypocritical for the auditor to tell the factory they're not paying their staff enough and then the following week, they get a visit from the customer who tells them their prices are too high!

The fashion business is cut throat at the moment, I've never experienced price deflation like it - but as long as the consumer demands cheaper and cheaper prices, ethical manufacturing is a bit of a tall order.
  22. miss giggles

miss giggles an unknown quantity...

TK Max = I can't find anything in my size. :(

Primark = I feel almost skinny :cool:

No contest :D
  23. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

I'm currently considering buying a sewing machine, with a view to make clothes for myself and my daughter, but the cost of the machine + fabric + patterns + sewing lessons is putting me off.
  24. Chip Barm

Chip Barm bizarre wanking accident

I can scan TKMaxx and see if there's stuff I want in about 10 minutes max, that includes trainer hunting for my son.

I've been meaning to start a thread on here about where they get their stuff from. Recently they have loads of DCShoes in, definitely not all last seasons either. I love it how in Manchester there's always a pair of homeless persons trainers sat on the shelf where someone must've been in and swapped footwear. :D

Primark and TKMaxx are in the same shop here which makes things easy too. :)
  25. madzone

Lidls occasionally have sewing machines for well uinder £50. It might be worth waiting for that. Or try freecycle? I get lovely fabrics at car boots and charity shops. I've got 3 metres of beautiful cotton in a wicked 50's print that I got for 50p waiting to be made into something for the summer. Keep your eyes peeled and ask others to look out for it as well.
  26. Stobart Stopper

Stobart Stopper Well-Known Member

You can find some great bargains in Primark, but the place drives me nuts. We walked through the Romford store yesterday to get to the shopping centre and it was mayhem, and it doesn't matter what time of the day you go, even early morning it's really busy. I can't stand chaotic shops, and this one really is too busy.
  27. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

Primark don't go big enough for me :(

TKMaxx and I get on well :D esp for kitchen stuff
  28. Stobart Stopper

Stobart Stopper Well-Known Member

I like Matalan, they have some lovely things in there this year. And they do bigger sizes if you need it.
  29. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

:eek: matalan is bloody awful, their clothes, the fabrics, the cut

blurgh
  30. butterfly child

butterfly child Well-Known Member

Ooh, jammy.. which handbag was it?

I saw an Anna Scholtz (not sure that's spelt right) t-shirt in TKMaxx in Bristol the other week - they retail at £75 in other shops.