1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Out's best three Brixton pubs

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Winot

Winot BrixtonIan

Extremely annoying. I'm a Dad that has taken my kids to the Florence loads of times on my own - I demand equal rights to get pissed while they watch CBeebies.
  2. None of that sounds like the pubs fault. I was there wit ha 4 year old and she managed to open the door and run in and out no probs. Children can at times play rough, and if not one parent out of all of them is keeping an eye thats up to the parents. I dont think the pub should have to provide a supervisor (though theres a business idea there!)

Kind of fair enough, but again, a padded dedicated playroom isn't in itself a bad thing IMO, certainly not worse than a beer garden, and definitely better than a pub with 'no children' written on the door.
  3. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I'm all for dogs and kids, it's the yummy-mummies they need to ban...

/maynotbeentirelytrue
    Minnie_the_Minx and Badgers like this.
  4. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Never seen such a shit list
    Brixton Hatter and Belushi like this.
  5. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

I was fine with the Regent till they ran out of beer the one time I took my dad there. And fine with the Florence till it took an hour and a half to serve a hamburger. What was the other one? I expect it found a way to let me down too.

Now even the Trinity has been painted grey and become attractive to younger less discriminating people who don't object to bad service. The Elm Park Tavern though I have to say is good for both booze and service and an absolute riot. So see you there Leanderpeople! (And hello to the knitting lady.)
  6. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

White Horse was in top 3. It's alright for an early evening drink before it starts filling up with the professional crowd. Elm Park is fine, but hope refurb doesn't drive all the regulars away and turn it into a yuppy pub
  7. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

It's stupid, why pick 2 pubs on the same fucking road when there is another pub just round the corner thats better than both of them, I practically lived opposite the Regent but would still choose to go to the Commercial.
  8. London_Calling

I suppose it's more diff to deny the Commercial is in HH and not 'Brixton' - even if it's about 50 yards further.
  9. Termite Man

if they say the Florence is Brixton then so is The Commercial, they are separated by a tiny alley.
  10. London_Calling

11. Termite Man

I've walked down that alley enough times.
  12. London_Calling

Don't tell anyone but we're almost neighbours.
  13. Termite Man

We aren't because I don't live in London any more.
  14. fogbat

fogbat Pervy Sex Gang

Kids shouldn't be allowed in pubs. Simple.
  15. boohoo

boohoo Crazy Tired Lady

wait til you have mini fogbats...:D
  16. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

Funny how Tony Elliot started Time Out for "us" and now it's for "them".
    Shame.
  17. fogbat

fogbat Pervy Sex Gang

Never going to happen :D

Unless I acquire a house with a cellar.
    Maggot and ethel like this.
  18. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

It all went downhill when Time Out launched their 'Consume' section.
    yardbird likes this.
  19. Onket

Onket Gertcha

That'd be a good name for the 'Drugs' forum.
    19sixtysix likes this.
  20. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

All the Urbanites with ankle-biters will be putting your name down on their lists for liquidation CTR. :D
  21. boohoo

boohoo Crazy Tired Lady

That's what they all say...;)
  22. boohoo

boohoo Crazy Tired Lady

I went to Florence on Friday with ladies from antenatal class and our collection of babies and buggies. - can't get through the door easily with pushchair, every mother in the area had bought their child to that pub so was a bit overcrowded.

I really wouldn't rate it as a top Brixton pub mainly because it's in Herne Hill. It's not really my kind of pub.
  23. Greebo

Greebo Czekałam na Ciebie

That's what some of them also mean when they say it. :p
    fogbat likes this.
  24. fogbat

fogbat Pervy Sex Gang

Damn right.
  25. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

that's probably because on Fridays there are two baby classes held in the playroom and many stay for lunch afterwards - it's by far the busiest weekday for mums and kids.

It is basically a crap pub imo but it does have things going for it (a couple of decent ciders help) which do mean occasional visits.
  26. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Check, check, check. :p
  27. leanderman

leanderman Tired

I went off it when they stopped serving Erdinger.

The 25pc off deal is great though.
  28. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

Really, anything interesting?
  29. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

I actually went to a restaurant a few days ago that has a play area WITH minders. It was in Johannesburg however.
  30. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

It's one of our favs but we rarely go because it costs a fiver. I used to go with a friend in another location from time to time. High days and holidays! :D There are now 2 classes on Fri morning I believe (according to mail out).

Recommended by another urbanite in North London - the lady who runs it is absolutely excellent. Possibly our two are getting a bit old for it now tbh but I can see me going again with no. 2...

http://www.beasbabybop.com/Home.html