1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Out's best three Brixton pubs

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 14, 2012.

1. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Guineveretoo likes this.
  2. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Does that mean they're all coupled up but child and mortgage free or still single?

Just askin' like.

3. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

:D

Bollox

4. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Fuck knows. I don't live in a Time Out world.

5. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Time out reviews are Time Out reviews, but generally the choices are all really decent pubs for a chat, decent beer and/or a bite. Glad the Effra got a mention.

Tired of doing pubs now.

6. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Prince Regent is alright for after spending time in Brockwell Park. Only ever been disappointed by the Florence. Never been to the White Horse as far as I can remember.

Interesting stuff.

7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

I have never done the White Horse either. Of the other two then Regent is the preferred.

8. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Two of those pubs aren't even in Brixton.

I prefer the Londonist's choice voted by readers- they arranged a pub crawl too. http://londonist.com/2012/03/a-z-pub-crawl-best-pubs-in-brixton.php

1. The Trinity Arms (40 votes)
    1=. The Duke of Edinburgh (40 votes)
    3. The Effra (31 votes)
    3=. The White Horse (31 votes)
    5. Hootananny
    6. The Prince Albert
    6=. Dogstar
    8. Seven
    9. Mango Landin’
    10. The Windmill

I know them all apart from Seven.

9. hmmph

hmmph Well-Known Member

I truly hate the florence with a passion :mad:

They have that crap little 'playroom' out the back so that the supposed yummy mummies can pretend they're having a child friendly afternoon with their friends when really they're just getting pissed up on wine and locking their kids in a room.

The food is horrendously expensive and half arsed. It's like a tenner for a burger (with a limp lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato) and you have to buy chips separately.

Don't even get me started on the evening punters...

Seriously, if Time Out reckons it's the best pub in Brixton they can suck someone's hairy ball sack :mad:

OK rant over... as you were :D

Griffter, mao, fogbat and 2 others like this.
  10. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

SE24??? Hardly Brixton.

boohoo likes this.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Write and complain. Do it, do it :D

12. London_Calling

Seven isn't a pub.

Dogstar - LOL.

13. killer b

killer b Cute, in a stupid-ass way

sounds pretty good to me.

leanderman and Onket like this.
  14. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

What is it? A film innit?

15. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

I know.

[​IMG]

What is it?

E2A: Damn you Badgers!

16. London_Calling

17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Mango Landin ain't a pub either, though I do rate the place. Only downside is that on some nights the music can be shite.

18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

fogbat, Guineveretoo and Badgers like this.
  19. hmmph

hmmph Well-Known Member

Oh, I've given it some stonking reviews online since it opened :D

Now I just refuse to go there. If I get invited to any 'child friendly' meet ups I tell them "if they think I'm going to that falcon place they've got another thing coming" and make them go somewhere else. I call it the falcon place (even tho it's the florence) just because I know it pisses them off

My hatred is probably a little bit irrational and over the top but hey ho :D

20. hmmph

hmmph Well-Known Member

yeah in theory, but in practice the kids start killing each other cos they're unsupervised and the mums are all pissed and don't seem to give a toss.

21. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

I hate the playroom at the Florence. It means that one parent always has to go in there and play. I prefer it when you can just take some toys and pass the kid from friend to friend for entertainment duties. And the food is definitely overpriced and half arsed.

22. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

That's a bit rubbish really. There's always parents in there with younger kids and older ones can play on their own. And parents are entitled to get pissed. But I do agree that the Florence sucks.

Onket likes this.
  23. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I really don't like the Florence myself - I think the food is rubbish and overpriced and it gets too crowded on weekends but your description of the playroom doesn't ring true with reality ime. I have been a handful of times and my toddler has used the room on those occasions. I haven't witnessed these legions of pissed up mums (what about the Dads anyway or is it just mums you have an issue with?) or murderous children.

When it is useful is midweek lunchtime when there's a 25% off discount card on food (and the portions of pasta are v. large and shareable with a 2 year old) and the playroom - that can be handy.

lighterthief, leanderman and Onket like this.
  24. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

Disagree - fair play to them with that massive play room. I dont have kids, but London (dont know about the rest of the UK) is clearly unchild friendly, and to have a kid means to stay at home with them. My experience of Europe is that children are welcome and its a civilised way to go. More not less of this kind of thing!

Remember UK scored lowest out of all western countries for child quality of life in a Unicef study, and its things like this that make a difference.

girasol, lighterthief and Onket like this.
  25. hmmph

hmmph Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with mums at all or them going to a pub. I wouldn't see half my mates if I did. I'm only saying what I saw in the pub and in that playroom.

I've been a handful of times and it was exactly how I described it. Kids were fighting over toys, hitting each other, loads of tears and it had to get to screaming point before anyone intervened. The door is too heavy so little kids can't open it themselves and there's a sign on it saying keep the door shut!

These poor little blighters are stuck in there and there definitely wasn't adults supervising - the only adults who did any playing in the room were us.

I think having that room makes some parents think "oh, there'll be some mum or other in there, they can / will keep an eye out'. On one occasion the mums weren't even sitting outside but in that conservatory bit :eek:. The mums I was with didn't like it either.

26. hmmph

hmmph Well-Known Member

I don't think it's child friendly. I'd much rather go somewhere with a pub garden where the kids can run around but be with you if they want to at the same time - not shut in a room with a big window. You can always bring toys and drawing stuff etc and then you can do that with them as a group if that's what happens. If they want to be playing with other kids they can but at least that's giving them the choice.

27. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Well it seems you've had some bad experiences then which don't seem to chime with mine - although I expect the fact that I genearlly refuse to go there at the weekend when it's zoo-like helps!

I definitely wouldn't put it up there as one of Brixton's top 3 pubs (even if it were in Brixton!) but there does often seem to be a lot of lazy stereotyping (in general not from you exclusively) re: mums in pubs (never Dads in pubs!) that gets a bit annoying frankly.

28. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

Ive been there with friends with kids and they played in there for ages and made friends in a safe environment...cant see the problem...should be encouraged.

Onket likes this.
  29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

I don't go there as the walk to the Hoot, Regent or Commercial is not enough to warrant going in there. The beer I had in there was fine and not a ludicrous price. Never eaten from the bar.

30. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I used to like The Florence when it first opened but I'm not so keen on it now, and rarely go nowadays. Having said that, if one must allow children in a pub, the layout of the place seems good to me: children are to be kept in a segregated playroom or in the 'conservatory' area, and are banned from the main part of the pub.

I do wonder if they ever get any complaints from outraged parents that dogs are welcome in the main part of the pub while children are banned :D