1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three mobile sim used in dongle

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Mikey77, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Mikey77

Mikey77 Banned Banned

Is anyone else doing the same as me? For the last 6 months or so I have been using a Three mobile phone SIM in a dongle, which gives me internet access with a 1gb allowance for £5 a month. Since I started doing this I have had problems with certain sites like TFL Journey Planner and some Microsoft support pages, which just will not load on my PC no matter what browser I use.

I had been speculating in my mind that Three must set certain sites to be read in mobile phone browsers, and that is why they would not load on my PC. Do any of you HTML people think this is probably the reason? I wasn't too bothered until Facebook stopped loading the other day.

This is about a month after Three announced some free Facebook browsing service on their mobile phones, so I am thinking they might have tweaked Facebook as well so it doesn't load on normal browsers like Firefox (I also tried IE and Opera). :confused:

I doubt anyone will care for my cheapskate ways, but I cannot get a phone line installed because I am on the housing register and may have to move within a year. My cheapo internet dongle is a lifeline for me. What I would give to have a phoneline and plusnet or something :(
  2. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

I take it you are buying the "internet" add-on (meant for use on phones only) instead of the "mobile broadband" add-on (that you are supposed to be using with a dongle)

Have you tried changing the APN from "three.co.uk" to just "3internet" ? ;)

I've had the same problem. Clearing the cookies for the site that wont load cures the problem temporarily.
  3. Mikey77

Mikey77 Banned Banned

Cheers, Raver. You're right. I'm using the internet add on. The APN was already set to 3internet because it was my sister's old dongle that she had mobile broadband with. So I set it to "three.co.uk" and Facebook worked straight away. Even TFL journey planner works, although Microsoft sites don't. Am I more likely to get rumbled using "three.co.uk"??
  4. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

I've used a three sim in a tethered mobile to do this when our broadband wasn't working...I did eventually get a message saying that I was approaching my fair use limit and that it was liable to be blocked though.

(this is with internet add-on for mobiles)
  5. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

I doubt it, I got away with it (using a tethered phone, not a dongle) for over a year and that was before they capped it at 1gb and truly was "unlimited" :cool:

You won't be able to access any sites that 3 class as "adult" which unfortunately includes pretty innocent sites such as b3ta etc. To get round this just change your APN back to 3internet. ;)
  6. Mikey77

Mikey77 Banned Banned

Yep, you're spot on. I just tried an adult site and it was blocked. So now I've got a wanking APN and an APN for browsing. You've been a lot of help. Thanks chap.