1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those we have lost in 2011

Discussion in 'Wintervaltide - Xmas and Year Review 2011' started by Maggot, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

This is a thread to reminds ourselves of those we have loved and lost this year, famous or personal.

I have a terrible memory and the only deaths I can remember being affected by are Gil Scot Heron, Poly Styrene and Ari Up. I'm hoping someone will remind us of others. Sunspots used to be good at remembering but AFAIK he doesn't post anymore.

The first person to mention Osama, Gadaffi or Kim Jong Il as a 'joke' will get a swift boot up the arse!
  2. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

Jimmy Savile :(
  3. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Cesaria Evora

krtek a houby likes this.
  4. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

Reggae producer Phillip Burrell was the most shocking for me - still had so much to give, and only fifty odd years young.

Bad year for reggae: looking back over the RIP threads from this year there was Jah Woosh, Leonard Dillon (The Ethiopians), Barry Lewellyn (Heptones) and don drummer Lloyd Knibb.

Then of course there was Smiley Culture, and a number of others killed by police, Mark Duggan the most prominent, but not only

Amy Winehouse was way too young...
  5. sojourner

sojourner Lord of the Ponce

Jinks - my mate of nearly 30 years, I fucking really miss him. Every single time I go into the village, I start to think 'oh, I wonder if I'll see...' and then remember. Thanks for being there for me all those times fella, for looking after me in a way that would have shamed my mother, and for spending one precious hazy afternoon back in the summer of '83 teaching me how to skin up - valuable life skillz :cool:

Peter - the mate I desperately wanted to turn up to Jinks's funeral and DID :cool: We had some massive hugs and shared our grief. He told me not to cry cos Jinks wouldn't have wanted it, and then spent the whole time snivelling in the seat behind me :D Then went and fucking died on me too, only a week later. See you too fella - hope you claimed your five bob off Jinks (they had a long-standing bet on who would go first :))

And Bert - me Da-in-law, a lovely gentle soul, who used to get the terrible giggles whenever I visited cos I would inadvertently swear and it WASN'T ALLOWED in their house :D. The 'man who taught us how to love' is the inscription me fella and his brothers put on their album, dedicated to him :cool:
  6. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Shit year for reggae stars, still seems like only last week that Gregory Isaacs passed too, although it seems that was October 2010 :(
  7. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

So sad that you lost all these people, but at least you have some great memories.
  8. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

Bloody ace singer. Will be sadly missed Chez Eric. Best surviving misery voice ever. Apart from Billie Holiday I guess.
    toblerone3 likes this.
  9. sojourner

sojourner Lord of the Ponce

:) Cheers chuck, aye, well, exactly. No one can take those away from me, I'll never forget any of them - 3 of the best men I've ever met
  10. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Vaclav Havel
    Socrates
    Kim Jong-il
    Ken Russell
    Gary Speed
    Sir Jimmy Saville
    Muammar Gaddafi
    Bert Jansch
    Fred Shuttlesworth
    Steve Jobs
    Ginger McCain
    Amy Winehouse
    Gil Scott Heron
    Seve Ballesteros
    Osama Bin Laden
    Sir Henry Cooper
    Ted Lowe
    Lolleata Holloway
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Smiley Culture
    Nat Lofthouse
    Susannah York
    Pete Posthlethwaite
  11. souljacker

souljacker Eggs Bread Cigs Milk

2 old (but not close) friends lost to to skag this year.

And Darryl Pandy:

12. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

and Yabby You
  13. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

Vivian Jackson (14 August 1946–12 January 2010) ;)
  14. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

Liz Taylor, Elizabeth Sladen, Peter Falk, Poly Styrene - all very sad.

And my very dear friend Stanley - big man, bigger personality, even bigger heart. He's in my thoughts more than I thought he would be.
  15. twentythreedom

twentythreedom *waves*

Rosie - a 15 y.o girl I'm indirectly related to, who took her own life cos of bullying at school :(
  16. dessiato

dessiato Galatians 6:10

My very good friend Marcus, I think of him every day, his passing still brings tears to my eyes. Miss him all the time.
  17. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

A very good friend of mine who decided to take his own life a few weeks ago. The tragic thing is, he was getting better after a bout of depression. It was pointed out to me by my brother though, that this is the most vulnerable time for some people and the most common time for suicide.

The guy was like an older brother to me, even though I already had 2 older brothers. I joined his band when I was 16 and he was in his mid 20's. I was the kid on the block but they took me in, bought me booze at the pub and looked after me. I'm still very good friends with another band member. I was best man at his wedding this year.

Seeing people I had not seen for 10+ years was also difficult. But we gave him a bloody good send off and reminisced about old times.

RIP Glenn :(
  18. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

I can't believe I forgot Amy Winehouse.

Such a poignant video.

Great tune, but I thought it was by Farley Jackmaster Funk?
  19. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I lost my favourite Uncle and an old friend from the 70's who was a really lovely guy and a great musician :(
  20. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

Darryl Pandy did the vocals

My brother in law, Kelvin, who was taken by the bottle a couple of months ago. An empty xmas for my sister and his two young sons coming up :(
  21. fat Andy

fat Andy Well-Known Member

My mate and former heavyweight boxer Gary Mason.
  22. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

my mum :(

Im dreading xmas
  23. Thraex

Thraex Needs to posh up his pants

My mate Tubs, no one knows whether it was intentional or not; killed on an open crossing (train track) at three in the morning, it was a 'track cleaner' train. He was listening to some heavy dub and had drunk three of his brother's bottles of home made cider.

I agonised over attending the funeral (he sex offended against my Mum), eventually decided to go then got up too late as I'd been to an urban meet up the night before :facepalm:

RIP Tubby, mate.
  24. DRINK?

DRINK? bummed by karmachameleon

In my experience the dread is always worse than the reality and afterwards you kinda go, well that wasn't as bad as I thought...goes for everything birthdays, anniversaries etc. Still raw though hope it goes ok
  25. spacemonkey

spacemonkey I Love Noodles

My Dads best mate Max. Spent his whole life working with young people in some of the most disadvantaged communities in South Wales. Broke my heart that he had to spend the last few years going to Cardiff matches on his own after my Dad died (they were season ticket buddies for 10 years). Top bloke. Died too young.
  26. treefrog

treefrog Hoha

She died in 2010 but this thread prompted me to take a moment to remember one of my students, who died of an aggressive cancer at 17. Akua came from Nigeria with her father for a better life in this country. She was studying the sciences because she wanted to be a doctor and go back to Nigeria to work on the front lines there. She was a Christian and her faith meant she and I had some fascinating, intelligent debates around faith and creation (if all adults could discuss these things as rationally and respectfully as she could then the world would be a better place). She taught me a lot about the weight and value of my words and opinions as a teacher in front of a class, and not to take my responsibility lightly.

I remember she came to me one day, saying she had aches in her stomach and as a teacher did I have any advice? I thought nothing of it and suggested going to a doctor. If I'd known then what we later found out I'd have driven her to the hospital right then and there.

She died about nine months after she was diagnosed, refused to let anyone but her immediate family visit her because she didn't want us to see her weak and in pain. They sang Nigerian hymns at her funeral, and I remember feeling so angry, so lost, at seeing the coffin of a young woman who only wanted to do some good in this world.

You did some good Akua, and you are remembered.
  27. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Very moving post Treefrog. :(
  28. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

How could I forget John Barry?

29. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

no it was worse than I was expecting , even last night was awful :(
    Ceej likes this.
  30. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

A truly good man who I was lucky to have known quite well.