1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Mrs Magpie, Mar 6, 2005.

1. BoatieBird

BoatieBird You can call me cupcake

Do you know what type they are?

Most will start to flower lower down, while still growing at the top so I don't think you'll have anything to worry about :)

2. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Sun gold. They just don't seem to be very tall considering they were planted in april. :D

3. BoatieBird

We're growing sungold (in a greenhouse) this year too. They're probably about 4 foot tall, but still going.

Everything seems to be lagging behind this year :(

4. Citizen66

Well. Ine aren't four foot! Think I need a greenhouse then.

5. BoatieBird

Yes, the greenhouse makes a lot of difference (especially in years like this).
    But hopefully we'll get some warmer weather at some point and they'll have chance to ripen.

6. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

Lost a lettuce to the slimy ones! I hate them so much. Why do they exist?

7. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

I lost all my lettuces to them in this rain. I've pretty much given up for the year tbh.

8. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

First Nagas of the season!

[​IMG]

fogbat, BoatieBird, Me76 and 2 others like this.
  9. Citizen66

They are now :cool: and starting to fruit. I'm sure it all seems to be a bit late, shouldn't they have been producing fruit all summer?

10. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

wow, are they all from one plant? :eek:

11. seeformiles

It's a plant that I started last year and over-wintered successfully. Last year it produced one miserable specimen but this year it's come into its own. What's in the photo is only the ripe ones - there's about three times as many still on the plant waiting to ripen and by God are they hot!

(If anybody wants some seeds, let me know!)

12. Biddlybee

How big it the plant?

I've had about 30 off the only plant that survived over-wintering, but it's not a huge plant. I like the colour of your chillis :)

13. seeformiles

Here it is (when I had to take it out of the rain a few weeks ago):

[​IMG]

Biddlybee likes this.
  14. Biddlybee

ooh wow, lovely plant :)

15. seeformiles

Why thank you! :) I put it on the windowsill to stop the neighbours looking in.

Biddlybee likes this.
  16. Me76

Wow - very impressive. Are they hard to grow? I would love some seeds but would probably need instructions too :oops:

17. seeformiles

Chillis are easy - PM me with your address and I'll pop a pepper in the post

There's plenty of good chilli growing sites on the web that give good advice. :)

Me76 likes this.
  18. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Good plant seeformiles. albeit you may want to pluck a few of the smaller fruit earlier and repot to encourage a higher proportion of 'full size' chillies. On the plus side, the smaller ones are nowhere near as offensive in the heat stakes. My nagas and superhots are much bigger plants (greenhouses and octogrow self watering pots!) but only a couple have as many chillis as that, so far he said hopefully.

I'm lagging a little behind this year, but I have plenty of chillies and just about enough time to raise a bigger crop of the habaneros and other hotter types if things keep growing. Must take some photos soon

19. seeformiles

Your crop last year was great looking! Ta for the tip - I've been picking the little ones since they were starting to wrinkle a bit but it seems to have done the trick re: the larger ones.

Would you recommend cutting it back at the end of the season?

20. tendril

tendril Hasa Diga Eebowai!

Well that's me sorted for potatoes for a while: Desiree and Pink Fur Apple

[​IMG]

21. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Yes I'd cut away at the end of the season - growth from old stems tends to be straggly at best, so you'll tend to get a neater and more productive plant if you trim down things when the season's over. A lot of folks recommend cutting the root ball down and repotting during winter too, but I've rarely been that dedicated, being more likely to dump into a larger pot with new compost at the first signs of spring.

TBH, I've never been convinced by the need for overwintering for most plants, preferring to clear the windowsills/greenhouses/every available space and have a little time off chillis for a tiny portion of the year, but this year's crappy growing season has made me reconsider. Last year and everything grew so rapidly, even the habanero/superhots, that it seemed unnecessary - I just carried forward a handful of plants and a rococo. This year I'm regretting that decision as the larger, slower growing plants are struggling to reach full maturity in good time. The few overwintered plants have largely prospered as well. Bah, you live and learn I guess.

Off to the allotment today - will try and take some shots down there if I remember. I may take the first first big crop off there and the other greenhouse - well behind schedule, but I reckon I should have a kilo or two to crop and make into sauce.

22. Me76

Currently my strawberry plants are in a hanging basket thing with holes in the side. There were only 4 small strawberries this year (that the bloody snails climbed up the wall and got). There are lots of brown stalks. I am thinking about taking them out, cutting the dead stuff off and sticking in pots in the plastic greenhouse over winter and seeing if they survive. What do people reckon?

23. seeformiles

That's my plan for the end of the season - everything goes into the sauce! Have nearly 2 lb of assorted chillis with much more to crop so should be a good batch. Repotted the Naga at the weekend and it's perked up no end! Looking forward to your pics. :)

24. BoatieBird

Yep, should be fine.
    Monty Don on Gardener's World last week was saying to cut the dead bits off your strawbs to allow for new growth.

Right, here's a report on what worked well for us this year (and what didn't).

Tomatoes:
    Orange sungold (cherry toms), grown in the greenhouse and a real sucess. Lots of lovely sweet fruit with thin skins. Will deffo do these again next year.
    Maskotka (cherry toms) grown outside as tumblers in hanging baskets. Again, lots of fruit, fairly sweet. Slightly tougher skins but delish roasted whole with a bit of olive oil and garlic.
    San Marzano (plum), grown in the greenhouse after being recommended by Monty Don. Disaster. Hardly any fruit and we lost most of the crop to blossom end rot :mad::(

Shallots:
    Orange sun and red something or other - really disappointing yield this year, much less than the 2 previous years. Victims of the weather I think.

Garlic:
    We have produced a very small amount of the tiniest garlic bulbs you've ever seen :D. The taste is great, but they really are tiny.

Chillis:
    Padron (large tapas variety), only 2/3 fruits per plant. Quite disappointing as the ones we have harvested have been lovely.
    Pyramid - loads of fruit but hardly any ripe yet, I'm hoping for a few more days of sun to finish them off (but I'm not that hopeful).

Runner beans have been abundant - they really do seem to be one of the most reliable crops.

So in summary - it's been a bit of a shit year for gardening.
    *shakes fist at sky*

25. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Bizarrely my padrons have done pretty well this year - about 15 chillies on each of the 3 plants, with another crop forming now - although I managed to keep them in until after the worst of the weather had passed. They're prospering outside now really. I wouldn't worry too much about the ripeness of the Pyramids too much either - they'll change eventually, but they're not renown for flavour on the mature fruit. As long as they're fully sized, it's more likely you'll sacrifice a little heat, if that,

With you on the 'shit year for gardening' sentiment mind. Everything's largely been waterlogged or slug-ravaged - a few beetroots, berries, onions and spuds to show but precious little otherwise. On the plus side we finally caught up with the allotment backlog this week, returning it to some kind of order. Have high hopes for the towering (bantam) corn, which we've netted off in the forlorn hope of stopping the mice/squirrels decimating the lot, and the courgette/squash plants, which have taken on a second breath of frantic flowering. Not good, but I suppose we've done a little more ground work and a few plants are better established

The more sheltered of the two greenhouses has done much better than the sunnier, more open allotment greenhouse mind. A little disappointed with many of the plants there tbh, although I'm hoping that I can salvage a respectable crop if the weather holds together for a month or two more.

26. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

A few shots from this weekend:

[​IMG]
    Antillias (a kind of scotch bonnet/hab cross)

[​IMG]
    Maules Red (and a hand for scale)

Biddlybee and seeformiles like this.
  27. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

[​IMG]
    Pimenta Da Neyda (as tall as the greenhouse now - the only chilli I know that stays entirely purple, even when ripe)

[​IMG]
    Mutant Yellow Wiri Wiri from Pomeroon
    [​IMG]
    The world's current hottest pepper - the feared Moruga Scorpion. This thing even looks evil. Scared to try later in the year

tendril, Biddlybee and seeformiles like this.
  28. Citizen66

I've got a wealth of tomatoes. Which are all green. :mad: :D

29. May Kasahara

May Kasahara no such thing as the softest squid

[​IMG]

seeformiles likes this.
  30. tombowler

tombowler still missing the point

my kitchen garden is mostly green tomatoes and orange pumpkin like things, we did find a cucumber yesterday. to ashamed to post pictures but i should say the harvest of nettles is substantial this autumn. The Spinach beet is still giving us a meal every two weeks, the Brussels Sprouts look like we might get a meal or two but will need moving along with the Spinach before the mini digger arrives to sort this hill out we live on. Hoping the leeks are under the tomatoes still.