1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Glasgow.

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by YouSir, Aug 15, 2005.

1. starfish

starfish Aloof but effective.

2. Pieface

Pieface New Member

No - that's in an old tram depot and was the venue for my weirdest ever theatre visit. Went to see some cult company called La Fura del Baus and spent the evening running away from performers who were freaking the crowd right out. It involved a man masturbating with a raw chicken, copious nudity, cigar smoking :confused: , spitting white stuff all over each other/the crowd etc etc :)

Bit like seeing Vulva and Hoover in Spaced, except these guys were well serious about it.

The Arches now uses most of the spaces pretty regularly - they have a bar/exhibition space that you get into from the Argyle street side.

The clubbing is good but if the galleries are shut then wandering in the west end is probably the best bet or you'll just end up shopping in town and haemorrhaging cash ;)

You can walk from Buchanan street station up Sauchiehall st and along the Great Western Road to the west end - I used to quite like that wander myself and I did it a lot in varying states of mind...

3. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

There's still kulchah in Glasgae!

Surprised no one has mentioned the People's Palace or were you all scarred for life by compulsory visits as schoolkids?

Kelvingrove is closed til next year, but they've got 120 paintings* on
    temporary show at the McLellan Galleries
    in Sauchiehall Street - well worth a look if you're stuck in Glasgae on a wet day.

* The most famous French impressionist pics from the collection are exiled in Kirkcudbright until the end of August following their American tour, and won't be on show again until Kelvingrove reopens

And as mentioned, even closer to the centre of town there is the Gallery of Modern Art in Royal Exchange Square off Buchanan Street - IMHO the permanent collection is utter crap - but others may disagree. Temporary exhibitions have been hit and miss.

4. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

In Glasgow now, friend has, apparently, stood me up, going to start wandering down Sauchihall (spl?) Street until it 'looks nice' then I'm going to find somewhere to get serenely drunk. Any suggestions?

:( So alone.

5. neilh

neilh └┴┬─├┼╔╩╣

aw shit; didnt see this thread till now and i'm heading to work now;

if you're in the area of charing cross, which is at the end of the main bit of sauchihall st, the pakora shop on woodlands road is imo well worth a visit, specially for the broccoli and spinach stuff.

the parks are nice enough; i like the river too though youre prob heading away from the clyde; queens park's nice enough too but over the other side from the west end; i'm sure you'll find something decent to do.

6. neilh

neilh └┴┬─├┼╔╩╣

as for gettin pissed - sleazy's on sauchihall street's one of my favourites; the halt on woodlands road isn't bad either;

7. Pieface

Pieface New Member

Uisge Beatha on woodlands as well with its random stuffed animals all over the wall.

The moose above the bar is colossal.

As is the whisky selection.

8. neilh

neilh └┴┬─├┼╔╩╣

yeah, i suppose that's nice enough; nice and warm in the winter. i like the big tables.
    there's also the doublet at the end of woodlands road, come to think of it i probably prefer that to either of the others.

9. Pieface

Pieface New Member

I think they've painted it purple or something now - I liked it's moth eaten edge personally. The Doublet's quite good too - not a patch on Clatty Patty's though ;)

10. starfish

starfish Aloof but effective.

The Bon Accord. Bottom of Sauchiehall Street & turn left. Its on the other side of the motorway. Probably Scotlands greatest collection/selection of real ales.

11. mrskp

mrskp New Member

If I wasn't running a million hours late, you could pop past mine for a roll and sausage.

:)