1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

These newfangled mobiles that do the internet - clue me in.

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by spanglechick, Oct 20, 2009.

1. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

So, my current mobile contract is about to expire. I'm on a very cheap (sub £20 a month) contract - but don't use the internet at all. However, while I wasn't looking, people seem to be getting phones where you can access the internet.

I phones seem quite smart. What are my other options? what's the difference between an iphone and a blackberry?

am i right in thinking a phone won't be able to handle all websites and web functions?

I can't really afford to pay much if anything for the phone itself, and wouldn't want to pay more than £30 - £35 a month, for which i'd want more or less unlimited browsing, but wouldn't need many minutes or texts. Is that realistic?

2. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

3. spanglechick

an 8gb one would do me, though, i reckon.

anyway - so what's the difference between an iphone and a blackberry and other internet phones?

4. spanglechick

bump for day people

5. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

That's the old one. You'd want the 3GS.. honest! :)

6. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

So, I'm not even allowed to see what you fucking sell anymore then??:mad:

Sorry to go off topic, But if this starts to become popular with shopping sites as well as iplayer stuff etc, etc, I'm going to start getting well fucked off.

<as you were>

7. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

if your in france orange hold the licensee for iphones so go through their site.

if your somewhere else ummm...

dave

8. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I'm focusing more on the camera for my next phone, but it does have a good web browser too - Samsung Pixon 12. Dial-a-Phone have it for £30pm on Orange (proper £30 too, not blooming redemptions) with 600 minutes and unlimited texts and internet. That's way more texts and minutes than I need, but it's the only way to get free internet and that particular phone. I do like the iphone, but there are tons of other phones out there now with the same size screen, a fast web browser and wifi connection and qwerty keyboards if you like.

Here's a Nokia internet phone too, for example.

9. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

That's what you get for living in foreign parts. :p

spangles - I can use the net on my blackberry but it's painfully slow. I can't access facebook (too much bandwidth) but I can get onto urban and my mail. I only use it if I'm really bored though because it's so slow. I think the new fangled stuff like kandakid's got are probably much better but £££

10. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Not the point.

11. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

I could just say at this point that I think my iPhone is terrific, but that gets repetitive after a while. If you're mostly interested in the web and not in applications, and don't mind paying for a posh phone, you could also take a look at the Palm Pre - it's still new on the market so doesn't have as many apps as the iPhone, but the browser should be great.

Don't get a blackberry to go on the net. Even big blackberry fans say the browser is mediocre at best.

12. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Blackberry users are marginally less insufferable than iphone users.

And their batteries last longer.

13. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

iPhone is probably the best gadget I've ever bought. I don't need to carry multiple things around anymore (Phone/MP3/Laptop).

Battery life isn't great.

14. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

There's some great phones out there that will surf the web really well. I suggest you take a look at the HTC Hero, the Palm Pre (my favourite by miles) and the iPhone 3GS/3G.

A lot of people swear by Blackberries - they've got one of the best keyboards out there.

I'd also look at some of the Nokias is you don't fancy charging your battery every night (all of the top three suffer poor battery lives compared to 'regular' phones.) The Nokia E71 is a popular contender that manages a decent battery life. What else matters to you? Camera? Video? Size?

15. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

I've just upgraded to an HTC touch which means I have a spare smartphone although it's orange - can be unlocked. You're more than welcome if does the job for you.
    *goes off to hunt*

16. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Not saying I'm recommending it but I access the internet from a samsung G600 or something on a t-mobile contract. The contract was £15 a month and I pay £7.50 a month on top for, I believe, unlimited access.

Reading is fine. typing is a pain so I don't much from the phone.

17. marty21

marty21 insidious agendas everywhere

htc magic does the job for me

[​IMG]

nice big screen, a load of android apps, urban looks good on it, twitter too, facebook is ok, web search is pretty good, easy to use, touch screen, camera is ok, but you can download camera apps as well if you want more bells and whistles like

18. Cribynkle

Cribynkle squawk

Does the camera on the Palm Pre have a flash?

19. spanglechick

what matters to me: getting on urban and facebook, maybe blogger - as smoothly and as much like i would at home as possible. I take about one photo every three months and never take video. I don't use an mp3 player either, but i suppose i might. I used to. i dunno about apps - that's a whole new world to me.

what is the benefit og having more gb? other than storage - will it make it go faster?

so i should look at the htc hero, the palm pre, the iphone and the nokia e71.

apart from battery life, what am i looking for? what makes a phone like this 'good' or 'bad'. Editor - why is the palm pre your favourite?

edit - oh - and if i pay £100 i can get the iphone 8gb on an 18 mth contract for £30. How do the others compare in price for initial outlay?

20. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

If you wanted to be fairly cheap, you could get a fairly bog standard phone, put a 3uk pay as you go sim in, and pay for their 5 quid a month unlimited* internet deal, and use opera mini to surf from your phone.

I use opera mini on my 3 year old 6233 to access the internet, and whilst I seem to be developing a freakishly muscular thumb, it does the job adequately. My other half uses a k800 with opera mini also.

*note 'unlimited' clearly is a different word to that in the dictionary when used by mobile networkds and is actually 2 gig

21. editor

Yes. It's also the fastest camera I have ever, ever used on a mobile. Quality isn't too bad, all things considered either.

Hang on, I'll post up an example taken in low light.
    [​IMG]

Most phones would still be focusing after the train had sped by - my G1 would never have caught the scene.

A flash is pretty much essential if you're buying a phone to use as a camera too.

22. untethered

untethered For industry & decency

The iPhone 3GS (16 & 32GB) have a much better battery life than the old 3G (8GB) model. The 3GS also has a built-in compass which makes various new applications possible that simply can't be done on the old 3G which doesn't have a compass.

23. spanglechick

is the difference worth an extra fiver a month and a 24mth contract, though?

24. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

Useful thread spanglechick - I need a new phone at some point and my requirements are pretty much identical to yours.

25. editor

The Palm Pre does it for me because of its wee size, its hardware keyboard, the very fast camera and flash, and the loveliest operating system I've ever seen on a phone. The browser is the same as the iPhone's (except you can have three or four browser windows open at the same time).

Battery life on all these smartphones is pretty much shit compared to 'standard' phones, although the Nokia's tend to keep on going longer.

Is battery life an going to be an issue for you? Most phones (not iPhones) have batteries you can change yourself so you can just bung them in your bag.

26. untethered

In my opinion, yes. It depends whether you want to be able to use the phone to show you not just where you are on the map but which direction you're facing. If you want to do things like satellite navigation and augmented reality (overlaying a live camera view with information labels and other graphics).

The 3GS is faster, too.

27. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Difference between the 3G and 3GS is quite large imo.

28. untethered

I've read reviews which say that the Pre's keyboard is impossibly fiddly and overall is far too slow. How do you find it?

That's clearly a benefit over the iPhone but there are backup power supplies you can get for them if you really need it. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.

29. editor

My G1 has a compass and more augmented reality apps than you can shake a stick at and, to be honest, most have little more than novelty value.

30. marty21

marty21 insidious agendas everywhere

i think vodafone are offering the HTC magic at about £25 a month for new customers, probably an 18 month contract, phone comes free