1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The transcendent unity of all religions

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by max_freakout, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Aldebaran

Aldebaran TheMadArab.IslamicFascist

It doesn't make sense at all but in the warped outlook on religion in the Alien World called Max Freakout.

I could amuse myself with listing all the references in Al Qur'an where Max could find texts to compare them with what is said in the Bible, or vice versa.
    I could write lectures on what can be traced back in other religious texts and dogma that in essence refers to similar ideas or dogma.
    But I don't think so.

:)

salaam.
  2. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 memory & guillotines

:D

*speechless*
  3. i-am-your-idea

i-am-your-idea pretty vacant

4. Aldebaran

I see you "overlooked" conveniently where I linked to what you actually posted in this very thread.

See my former posts. Attempt to distract from what I said isn't going to help you one step further.

:):)
    Good jokes are never far away when I read your posts, but this is the best one to date.
    In any case, I'm glad you finally admit openly you have absolutely no clue what your are trying to talk about as if you have.

salaam.
  5. max_freakout

max_freakout Nothing matters

i already clearly acknowledged, much earlier in this thread before you had even posted in it, that the koran and the bible share a great deal of stories with each other

but this does not change the fact, that the literalist reading of different religions tell different stories about different people

to prove this, consider the fact that Muhammed is not mentioned once in the bible, just as Janaka is not mentioned once in the koran

this is an example of different religions, when read literally, telling different stories about different people, a fact which you wrongly denied earlier
  6. i-am-your-idea

i think you have misunderstood each other.

they are comparable, some stories very comparable- but you'ld notice if you put one story in the place of another- eg the names are different and they are about different people, from different places etc.
  7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

I wouldn't if I were you

[​IMG]
  8. max_freakout

do you deny the fact, yes or no, that the koran does not tell any stories about king Janaka from the upanishads?

if the answer is yes, then you need to study religion much more carefully

if the answer is no, then you were wrong all along, because different religions do, in fact, tell different stories about different people
  9. cesare

cesare silence is violence, violence

Yes
  10. max_freakout

speaking in terms of mythic metaphor, they are all 100% comparable, they are more than comparable, they are exactly the same
    , which is what this whole thread was about

however that isnt what i said, i said that they are different when read LITERALLY, and aldebaran denied that, perhaps he misunderstood, but if he did, he now refuses to admit it
  11. the button

the button antagonistic but good value

[​IMG]

12. i-am-your-idea

i see.

does he know what literally means?
  13. max_freakout

i hope so :eek:
  14. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Here's the thing Max... At no point has anyone suggested a close link between the Hindu and Christian faiths. They are from different regions and, while there may be some links in the very distant past, evolved in different ways.

On the other hand the links between the Abrahamic religions are very strong. There's a clue in that name... Abrahamic. Think about it.
  15. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Every fucker else calls it tripping and what is revealed should NOT be taken literally but as allegory, deaths and madness lie in that direction if you do see it as the truth.

Fool. :mad:

idiots like you give drug takers a bad name.
  16. Y_I_Otter

Y_I_Otter Dangerous Terroirist

Answer the many questions I posed to you previously, questions you assiduously avoided answering, and I might even tell you. :)
  17. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Why do you think no-one will notice your complete lack of honesty? Time and time again people have quoted what they said, quoted what you said and proven that you are a weasely little fuck who twists words to suit his own purposes. No-one is convinced.

What Alde said is that there are a small number of scholars (of which he is not one) who say that the bible anticipates Muhammed. The rest of us might see this as unlikely because he was born 570 years after Jesus (if you accept the dates and the people).
  18. i-am-your-idea

i think its weasley to concentrate on a detail that is irrelevant to the overall point! if muhammed might be in the bible, so what? the literal stories are still different.
  19. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Muhammed isn't in the bible... The point is that Jesus is recognised as a prophet in Islam, Abraham is recognised as a father figure in all three abrahamic religions, they share many of the same myths including many of the same figures. That's why they're called Abrahamic religions; they share the same roots. They diverge slightly as they separate (ie Christianity acknowledges Jesus as the messiah, Islam re-writes the old texts a bit etc), but they are very similar.
  20. i-am-your-idea

how does that contradict what max is saying?
  21. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

That is just Max being weasely, here is his original statement:

He has latched onto the Upanishads thing because, for fairly obvious reasons, no-one is going to say it's wrong. But no-one has even hinted they might think that the Upanishads have the same stories as the Qu'ran... What Max has claimed is that there is no common ground between any religions, which any idiot can tell you is a load of bollocks.
  22. i-am-your-idea

sorry, still don't see that in the quote.
  23. Aldebaran

No they are not. I can list here how many times Jesus, Mary , Abraham, Joseph, and all of the others mentioned in the Bible are mentioned in Al Qur'an. I can give all the references but why would I ?
    Mr. Max should read texts before discussing them acting as if he has.

salaam.
  24. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

well open your eyes, everyone else can, you just seem to be Max's ego conformation. :hmm:

The pair of you are dishonest.
  25. Aldebaran

I didn't say they are scholars. I said Muslims ;)

Max still denies he claimed that all prophets are purely mythical figures, that religious texts handle about persons and that they all handle about different persons etc.. etc...
    Maybe it's the mushrooms.

salaam.
  26. i-am-your-idea

saying religious texts have different literal stories about different literal people- is not the same as saying all people in all religious texts are seperate, with no cross over.

and even if occasionally the same names appear in other religious texts, the literal stories will still be different.
  27. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Fail.
  28. Aldebaran

He said they handle about different persons and for your information: discrepancies in details of texts do not result in different stories.
    There is however a difference in context between Christian and a Muslim reading and I'm sure there is such difference between Jewish, Christian and Muslim reading (I'm not much informed on Judaism).

salaam.
  29. Aldebaran

Oh well, I shall start to deliberately misquote you, making you look like an idiot who got his degrees for free (maybe I bought them? I didn't see that suggestion made yet) and see how you react.
    For the rest: see my post above.

salaam.
  30. i-am-your-idea

what do you mean by a different context? that they are different literal stories, eg, different setting, time etc?