1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The transcendent unity of all religions

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by max_freakout, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Twisting words again Max... The similarities between abrahamic religions are pretty bloody obvious, and the similarities between religions with their roots in India are pretty obvious.
  2. max_freakout

max_freakout Nothing matters

ok look i wll do what you refuse to do, and actually quote you, i said this:
    and then you said this in response:
    and that is wrong, as i just showed, there are no stories about Muhammed in the Upanishads etc etc

therefore, different religions DO in fact tell different stories, about different people
  3. Aldebaran

Aldebaran TheMadArab.IslamicFascist

My first post in this thread

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=7787127&postcount=507

Answer of Max

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=7787435&postcount=510
    and by the way, discussing with a Christian priest and concluding what I did doesn't mean to say what you try to make of it. It was in context of your question if I was always Muslim and if I would have been raised Christian, that would have made me Christian. If you quote me next time, I would appreciate you give the proper link to the post/thread.

salaam.
  4. Aldebaran

Thanks. Now it is clear
    a) that you said "they all tell different stories, about different people"
    b) that I said: "No they don't" (all)

salaam.
  5. max_freakout

and (b) is wrong, every religion tells different stories about different people
  6. Aldebaran

Please, do read the Bible and Al Qur'an. You'll laugh at yourself. You are so stubbornly arguing against someone who actually studied religion that it entered the stage of beyond amusing.

salaam.
  7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

#

religions being syncretic, they all tell differing versions of the same things.
  8. max_freakout

yes, they have a transcendent, mythic unity

but taken literally, they are all telling different stories about different people
  9. max_freakout

i have made my point clearly enough

Muhammed is not mentioned once in the bible, there are no stories about muhammed in the bible, therefore, the bible tells different stories, about different people, from the koran. You denied this, and you were wrong

QED

you should maybe have studied religion in a bit more depth if you didnt realise such an obvious point
  10. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma

Such arrogance.

:D
  11. Dillinger4

Max = everything can be wrong - except for anything that I say.
  12. cesare

cesare silence is violence, violence

I'm not entirely convinced that a philosophy graduate lecturing a theology doctor about theology is off to a good start tbh.
  13. i-am-your-idea

i-am-your-idea pretty vacant

cheeky cheeky!

(sorry :p)
  14. cesare

Go cheeky :cool:
  15. Aldebaran

Dear Max,

a) Religious texts like the Bible and Al Qur'an are not about people, they are about God's Message.
    b) Al Qur'an does not claim the be a "new" Message of God. It claims to be the renewal of the Message of God as was previously told to humanity by means of the Prophets of God and as such recorded (hint: such as: in the Bible)
    c) I can always use more study on everything I ever studied but nevertheless I managed to get two doctorates so far, a few Masters in related and non-related subjects and one post-Masters degree in one of them. You on the other hand still need to start your first post graduate study. Maybe there is a tiny discrepancy in available background at stake here.

salaam.
  16. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Yeah, stupid bible writers, not taking into account a prophet born hundreds of years after it was written. Eejits... :rolleyes:
  17. Aldebaran

And to the joy of Max it should not go unmentioned that there are certain Muslims who insist that the Bible actually announces the birth of the Prophet Muhammed. Obscure interpretation in my view, but not in theirs.

salaam.
  18. cesare

Qualification showdown. Choose your weapons.
  19. Aldebaran

No thank you.
    It would be better if this thread would make any sense beyond time-pass.

salaam.
  20. max_freakout

taken literally, they are largely a collection of stories about people

for example, the story of Jesus turning water into wine

this is a story, about people, it tells the story of an event which involved people

different religious scriptures tell different stories, about different people,

you denied this to be the case, and i proved you wrong

to illustrate this, answer the following question:

does the upanishads tell the story of Jesus turning water into wine?

the answer is no, that story is contained within the bible, not the upanishads

therefore, taken literally, different religions tell different stories about different people, this post alone proves this to be the case.
  21. max_freakout

according to aldebaran, the bible does tell stories about Muhammed, somehow they managed to travel forward in time or something
  22. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Max claims to have a degree in philosophy. Philosophy is often claimed as good training for logical thinking. Ingesting psychedelic substances is known to do things to the brain that interfere with logical thinking to say the least.

Sports news from the Max Brain stadium:-

Mushrooms 1 Philosophy nil.
  23. cesare

Spoilsport :(
  24. i-am-your-idea

makes sense to me.

whats going on? :confused:
  25. Aldebaran

Nice attempt to deliberately twist my words once again into something that isn't there but that you would like to be there.

I don't feel for wasting any more of my time at such a dishonest self-absorbed poster who at that can't resist to make a fool of himself.

salaam.
  26. max_freakout

Max does not claim to have a degree in philosophy, i might have dreamt the whole thing, therefore i cannot claim to have a degree in philosophy

psychedelic drugs allow the mind to use a special kind of transcendental cognition, vision-logic (or as i like to call it, visionary philosophising), which entirely transcends logic, they do not so much 'interfere' with logical thinking, as boost it upwards into a higher mode
  27. max_freakout

Aldebaran cant admit he is wrong about this
  28. Dillinger4

:D

The cheek...
  29. max_freakout

you twisted my words out of all proportion, and refused to even quote me hen you did so

i did not twist your words, when i said that the literal reading of religions consists in different stories about different people, you flatly denied it

you, a postgraduate in religious studies (or so i understand, something like this anyway) have just been entirely proven wrong about a religious subject, by Max who has never in his life studied religion academically
  30. i-am-your-idea