1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The transcendent unity of all religions

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by max_freakout, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Aldebaran

Aldebaran TheMadArab.IslamicFascist

Maybe in your terminology it is "under-gratudate"? I think you call a Masters degree "graduate"?
    If I recall well last time I saw Max posting about his academic education he said he is doing his Phil. Masters, or planning to do.

salaam.
  2. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

He has a Bphil from Kings (apparently, I still won't accept it until the dean himself tells me face to face) and is about to start an Mphil (I think).
  3. Y_I_Otter

Y_I_Otter Dangerous Terroirist

It will be interesting indeed to hear how he defends his thesis with something like, "Heidegger had it all wrong-- he was really a mushroom and didn't know it!" :D
  4. i-am-your-idea

i-am-your-idea pretty vacant

which one am i? :)
  5. max_freakout

max_freakout Nothing matters

i have never heard of a 'Bphil'

i have a BA and am about to start an MSc
  6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

Are Marrilion vynls worth any money? I've got the top one gathering dust in t'attic
  7. i-am-your-idea

[​IMG]
    i think its more like this. look, theres even someone doing a face palm!
  8. max_freakout

until you get your undergraduate (bachelor) degree, you are an undergraduate, when you graduate with your bachelors degree, you become a graduate, when you begin postgraduate study (masters, phd, mphil etc) you become a postgraduate
  9. max_freakout

what i said was, there is no evidence whatsoever that Jesus existed
  10. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

what's your msc in?
  11. max_freakout

yes they do, try finding a reference to Muhammed in the Upanishads, then you will see what i mean
  12. max_freakout

Philosophy of Mental Disorder

if i do well in that, i may do an Mphil afterwards
  13. cesare

cesare Tramp. The. Dirt. Down.

:D:D:D
  14. max_freakout

how did your spiritual practise increase your self awareness?

ie, in what sense are you more self-aware now, than you used to be?
  15. Aldebaran

No, you claim that the Buddha, Jesus, Muhammed, in fact all who ever claimed Divine Revelation/inspiration never existed.

salaam.
  16. max_freakout

if i have claimed that, please use the search function and actually quote me

i have claimed no such thing

i think that lots of Muhammeds, lots of Jesuses etc existed

you claimed that all Christians are animals ;):p
  17. i-am-your-idea

the story has taken on its own energy. that energy will exist whether or not the story is about a historical character or not.
  18. i-am-your-idea

we are jesus!
  19. Aldebaran

1.No they don't.
    2.Since you claim such reference in sources backdating between 4000 and 600 BC you give it. I'm not exactly in to reading the whole of the vedänta here. (I don't even have it here, and I don't see the relevance)

salaam.
  20. Aldebaran

Read your OP.

What?
    I claimed my mother was an animal?
    I said in a few other threads that all humans are animals.

salaam.
  21. max_freakout

so to repeat the point i made, there is a literalist disunity between religions, because they tell different stories, about different people

you claimed that this is not true, yet there are no references to Muhammed in the Upanishads, just as their are no references to Prajapati in the Koran

so i rest my case :)
  22. max_freakout

i did, and it does not contain the claim that you say it does,

if you disagree, then quote the relevant part

yes dont deny it now, you said all christins are animals, that they are all wrong and they are all going to burn in the hellfire of allah for eternity

you said it just last week, when you quote me saying what you claimed i claimed, i will quote you claiming this ^ :p
  23. max_freakout

:)
  24. Aldebaran

1. I said you clearly didn't read the Bible or Al Qur'an while you claimed all religious texts are about "different stories".
    2. You also don't know that Islam recognizes all former Prophets of God, those that are known and those that are unknown by Muslims.

I think that yes, you really should rest your case before more damage is done.
    :)

salaam.
  25. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

You claim that none of the 3 are historical figures, ie you claim that they did not exist. You can't swim around that by saying there were lots of them. I mean it's not a crap argument, in some ways I agree with you, but you do explicitly deny the existence of the historical figures in the various texts.
  26. Aldebaran

You must be delusional under influence of your beloved mushrooms.
    But don't hesitate to waste a year or two of your life (I don't know how big the database of U75 is) to find such a post of me.
    (Hint: It doesn't exist)

I repeat: Read your OP.

salaam.
  27. max_freakout

what you claimed, was that religions dont tell different stories about different people, this is false (all you said was "no they dont", twice)

the Upanishads do not tell stories about Muhammed/Abraham/Adam and Eve, and the Koran does not tell stories about Mandukya/Janaka/Prajapati

therefore, different religions tell different stories about different people, and your claim was wrong

there is a very obvious unambigious, literalist disunity between religions
  28. cesare

cesare Tramp. The. Dirt. Down.

But what is the point of your case?

It's a big 'so what?'
  29. max_freakout

i did, and it does not contain the claim that you say it does,

if you disagree, then quote the relevant part
  30. Aldebaran

No I said there are no such discrepancies between the (Thora)Bible and Al Qur'an, which proves your assertion was totally made up.
    Al Qur'an indeed refers to all former prophets of God. Which proves you wrong, again.
    There is no disunity possible in the belief in God. You believe, or you don't. How you put that believing in practice has no influence on that. Again: you are wrong.

salaam.