1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The transcendent unity of all religions

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by max_freakout, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Yes I'm not an idiot thank you max. In Christianity Jesus is a divinely appointed leader, his tale is a classic struggle of the oppressed against the oppressor.
  2. i-am-your-idea

i-am-your-idea pretty vacant

woo! get you!

they sung polyphony harmonies in heaven long before that tho..
  3. max_freakout

max_freakout Nothing matters

yes absolutely, the myth of Jesus was a Jewish response to Caesar's oppressive regime, ie his demand that he be worshipped as a divinely ordained leader

so while Caesar demanded to be worshipped as a God, the Jesus myth does precisely the opposite of that, by saying that the emperor was in fact pitted directly against the true, divinely ordained leader
  4. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

Have you at least read the NT (you can pretend here as it's short)
  5. butchersapron

Who demanded this?
  6. max_freakout

Nero Caesar demanded to be worshipped
  7. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

He then did mushies and a bong with Shakyamuni, dont'cha know......
  8. butchersapron

Nope, not a good enough wriggle. Some good quick googling though. I'll give you that.

Now answer my questions.
  9. i-am-your-idea

butcher is very strict!
  10. cesare

cesare Tramp. The. Dirt. Down.

I think he's getting confused between Julius and Augustus maybe?
  11. butchersapron

Here's one for you then artist, the death of art begins with the murder of artists - jump to it.
  12. max_freakout

Jesus was the mythic 'rebel leader', rebelling against the emperor cult, which was started by Caesar
  13. i-am-your-idea

i think you'ld like to kill the real artist, not i, the puppet.
  14. butchersapron

Any answer approaching?
  15. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

They are pretty convincing it has to be said... :D

Very early;

In this note the way that the lyric 'Viderunt Omnes' is drawn out; Viderunt takes minutes to say, each syllable is expressed and explored. This may not seem like a leap to us, but then it was seismic shift from the emphasis on a chant expressed much as you would speak it.

Rennaisance:

And to finish, of course, Bach:

And one you might know

16. max_freakout

that's because he's an "anarchist"
  17. max_freakout

if you have any questions about the transcendent unity of religions, or about mythic interpetations of religious themes, or about anything relevant to this thread
  18. butchersapron

No. i'd like to kill the social conditons that allows idiotic concepts such as 'art and artists' (and the alienation which they represent) to be changed.
  19. i-am-your-idea

what does he want to achieve?
  20. i-am-your-idea

what do you want to achieve?
  21. i-am-your-idea

you never know what the results of your actions will be.
  22. butchersapron

It's ok Max, i understand, i've got you to admit that you don't have a functioning or basic understanding of at least two texts that you claim a higher understanding of. You're not going to admit just how shallow your reading is, but i got the best you're ever going to admit. That little bit will do though. Won't it?
  23. i-am-your-idea

ooh, thanks.

i wonder if this will have a soothing effect on the thread ;)
  24. max_freakout

world-domination
  25. cesare

cesare Tramp. The. Dirt. Down.

You have to start small really, e.g. forum-domination.
  26. i-am-your-idea

i can't help being strangely fond of butcher. there is no one i meet who isn't me (in a transcendent way), and there is a part of me that can relate to butcher.

i bet theres an inner hippy lurking somewhere in butcher too. maybe thats why he is drawn to these threads.
  27. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Or maybe there is an inner butcher lurking in you...
  28. max_freakout

christianity has a distinctly political context to it, because it was conceived of as a tool to transform the oppressive political situation of the time

this is a distinct feature of christianity compared to other religions, but the dominant transcendent theme of death/rebirth is no different
  29. the button

the button antagonistic but good value

My favourite instance of that kind of thing is in the Agnus Dei III in the second of Josquin's two missas L'Homme Arme. The bass sings the agnus dei once (but to a melody that repeats itself), the tenor sings it twice, the alto sings it four times and the sopranos sing it eight (IIRC) -- i.e. same words, same melody but at different speeds, and in different vocal ranges.

There's a moment of silence in the middle where they all reach a pause at the same time, then it kicks off again -- a musical effect that I can only describe as like passing through a mirror.

Anyway, max is talking shite, I reckon. :)
  30. max_freakout

there's an inner-hippy in everyone, struggling to be set free :)