1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Secret History Of Our Streets BBC2 series

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Gingerman, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

Ooh ta for the heads up. I'm staying in Deptford at the mo and its high street is a curious place.

3. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

It was very interesting - 6 part series too - next week Camberwell

4. Orang Utan

That was a really good programme!

5. Gingerman

Camberwell Grove,Caledonian Road,Portland Road,Reverdy Road and Arnold Circus going to be featured over the comming weeks.

6. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

cheers - there's plenty of mileage in this series - they could do loads more streets - could end up as a urban 'Coast'.

ska invita and spanglechick like this.
  7. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

looking forward to next week.

8. danski

danski Oh, you speckled wonder!

Yes, most enjoyable.
    Also infuriating that the council had an agenda to knock down the "slums" regardless of the fact they were not. :mad:

9. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

Annoyingly unnecessary appearance of subtitles whenever a black person was speaking with an accent, though they were easily understood without. You wonder why they didn't also subtitle the Deptford natives for viewers outside London. :-?

That aside it was fascinating dissection of Deptford's history.

10. Gingerman

Love stuff like this,always been facinated by the history of London and how its changed over the years.

11. Orang Utan

They did it with a couple of the old white ladies

12. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

Very interesting and sad. Reminded me of the history of District Six and Sophiatown in South Africa in terms of clearance and breaking up communities.

13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for an independent feline republic of catford

yes

it also grated that they used the Americanism of referring to streets as "Reginald" or "Albury" not "Albury Street" :mad:

Would now be a good time to mention the series of radical history walks that Past Tense are doing - first one (this Saturday - 9 June) is Deptford - Camberwell is in October. More at Transpontine

I did start a thread about them but it died a sad and lonely death :(

I hope to get there on Saturday.

14. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

(((Puddy_Tat)))

15. oryx

oryx Gamey Winehouse

Just been watching this with my partner who grew up in one of the non-slum, subsequently demolished old houses on the other side of the high street to Reginald Road.

The interesting thing is: what was their agenda?

Was it the classic urban renewal argument of replacing old, overcrowded and bathroomless houses with shiny new flats which were shoddily built and alienating, or was it something more sinister, such as backhanders to landlords?

Of course, there was not the historical perspective of knowing that jerry-built concrete blocks would quickly become little better than slums, or at best were a wrench from family and established communities. Nor was there the rampant gentrification of old Victorian streets, which was just beginning then but was a new social phenomenon.

Maggot likes this.
  16. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Just one big experiment.

17. Orang Utan

I wish they'd spent a bit more time on the street drinking culture. Never seen owt like it in London.

18. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

havent watched, sounds great - re only mentioning the first part of a street name and dropping the street or road, i dont know about the states, but thats an old skool London thing too.

Camberwell Grove will be a good one - ive read the Past Tense thing on Camberwell - its online here too -
    http://www.alphabetthreat.co.uk/pasttense/camberwell.html
    Camberwell dodgy as fuck since 1802!!

19. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

i reckon it dates back to the sailors and such

20. Orang Utan

Yeah, I don't agree with the priest, but I liked the idea - well psychogeographic!

21. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

Deptford the site of many a press gang-ing - I only found out what a press gang was the other day (apart from that kids show) - the navy would come round beat the shit out of you and throw you on their boat and force you to be a sailor for them, to fight in their endless wars for the crown. Once there you could 'volunteer' and get paid a pitance, or else stay on with your pride and get fuck all. This went on for a couple of hundred years
    [​IMG]

22. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

I may be proved wrong, but the programme seemed to suggest that Reginald Road was mostly in owner-occupation by the time Compulsory Purchase Orders were served by the council.

23. Orang Utan

Belushi was telling me just last week that Peter The Great studied shipbuilding here for three years. It's an interesting place alright

24. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Yes, John Evelyn mentions it in his diaries. Peter the Great was a terrible tenant. He wrecked all Evelyn's beautiful hedges and flowerbeds by careering around in a wheelbarrow being furiously and recklessly propelled around the garden by his manservant.

25. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Missed it. Any repeats on TV?

26. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for an independent feline republic of catford

27. Orang Utan

The OP says next Tuesday BBC2 23.20
    Also on iplayer

28. Gingerman

29. Orang Utan

30. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Cheers, will try to catch it next week then. Don't like watching programmes on iplayer