1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the Sarkozy years

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by guinnessdrinker, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Was December 2007. The same day as Calvadosser's death was announced. :( :(

2. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

He is very much missed. :(

3. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

My missus influences my politics

Hello! couldn't make this shit up.
    While the eyes of the press are on Mrs Sokrazy, who is watching him?

4. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Sarko's Foreign Minister, the former Communist, Bernard Koucher is in hot water over claims in a book that he had "unethical" links (took backhanders, in other words) with some of the most repressive givernments in Africa.

From Liberation

5. where to

where to Well-Known Member

new day of action called by the 8 TUs for March 18.

6. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

There's another thread about this elsewhere. The LCR are no more. Olivier Besancenot now heads the Nouveau Parti Anticapitaliste.

What is the PS's response, I wonder?

7. where to

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

You're not wrong, but I love that a country that prides itself on liberté, égalité, fraternité has the deeply buried assumptions of aristocracy that accompany terms like arriviste, nouveau riche vulgarité, and this@

could have been written by a Telegraph op-edder about the UK in the 60s or 80s. 'New' money indeed. This as opposed to the pure as driven slush party hackism of Chirac, Mitterand etc, or the ludicrous pretentious to aristocracy of some French grandees (I'm thinking of one in particular but can't remember his name...big One Europe 'federalist'...dammit, hated Thatch...)

9. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Giscard D'Estaing?

Edit: Or 'Val' as I call him when we're in the Gentlemen's clubs

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

That's the fella :D

11. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

12. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson treat a liberal as you would a fascist

Taking a boss hostage is becoming an increasingly common protest gesture in France. Last year, the English boss of a car-parts factory in eastern France was held for 48 hours in his office, sleeping on a massage table and being provided with blankets and sandwiches. He said he felt like “a prisoner in Alcatraz”.​

Good old Frenchies!

13. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

14. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson treat a liberal as you would a fascist

More high jinks here:

"workers are taking matters into their own hands"

Much more of this sort of thing please.

15. where to

new day of action called by the 8 main TUs for May 1st. last day had 3 million on the streets, this one will probably be bigger again.

its the first time all eight have come together for a callout on May 1st, not even back in 2002 when Le Pen got to the second round did this happen apparently.

16. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

So what's the latest on Sokrazy?

17. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

I thought it was time to revive this thread that was started by guinnessdrinker (RIP).

Sarkozy contemplates defeat.

18. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

19. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Latest polling according to WSJ

20. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

frogwoman likes this.
  21. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

22. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

So, is it all over for Le President Bling? Or will FN voters flock to him?

23. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

24. Lea

Lea Sur un seul mot de toi...

My French colleague reckons that 50% of the FN voters will vote Sarko and 25% will give their vote to Hollande as a protest vote with the remaining not voting at all. That's what he reckons anyway.

25. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

We shall see. Which way are Bayrou's supporters going to lean, I wonder?

26. Lea

A poster on another board who lives in France said that Bayrou's voters are split 50/50.

We shall see indeed!

27. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Fingers crossed that some of them find Sokrazy's rhetoric repellant enough to vote for Hollande.

28. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

I remember reading something about this some time ago. Anyway, Sarko's had enough and is going to sue.

29. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

According to Reuters, UMP members are getting nervous over Sarko's tilt to the far-right.

I bolded the bit about Sarko accusing Hollande of being "backed by Islamists" because this is the sort of thing that our very own Andrew Gilligan likes to do.

30. Lea

Watched on the news yesterday that Marine Le Pen has told her supporters that she will not be voting for either Hollande or Sarkozy. Not surprising really.