1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The run-up to Christmas

Discussion in 'Christmas and Year Review 2009' started by cesare, Dec 19, 2009.

1. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

Today I got my Tesco delivery 20 minutes early, no substitutions, everything in stock. Was brilliant. Except the chipolatas are a bit short coded so I'll have to get some more next week, but other than that - no supermarket shopping now.

Today I'll mostly be making pastry, cooking the red cabbage for the freezer and writing cards. Might put some decorations up ... no tree this year.

Tomorrow, shopping for the rest of the pressies. Then wrapping.

How about you? What you up to?

2. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

Oh! And if anyone's buying one of those ½price Tesco hams - they're ready cooked (not obvious on the site). One less job :cool:

3. LilJen

LilJen *sunkissed*

i cant find nut-crackers for love nor money :facepalm:

4. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

Can't remember when I last saw any. Back in the day, the supermarkets used to make up baskets of nuts that included a nutcracker. You don't see that anymore.

5. feldbach

feldbach Member

done all my christmas shopping, not wrapped yet though.
    no need for food as in laws will cook 24th dec, and got a party on 25th, then it's off to holidays on 26th :)

6. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

You're mostly organised then!

7. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

Food shopping is being delivered tomorrow. Off to my parents today for pre-Christmas family meal, I have a couple more presents to buy this week and a bit of wrapping. Oh, and have to post some presents to Switzerland - bit late as the last date for Christmas delivery was the 11th. Other than that all done :cool:

8. marty21

marty21 insidious agendas everywhere

got all my presents - ordered the last one for my brother this morning - should reach him in time - had a large ocado order yesterday - gotta get the bird and some gammon next week, most of the veggies have been got except the spuds, drinks - all in, not much else to do, not travelling anywhere until 27th, once work finishes on 24th, will hunker down in the warm :)

9. Thora

Mr Thora got a bit carried away at the farmers market though, and we now have a freezer full of game :hmm:

10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Putting the FU into fun

you make it sound almost like something out of 'the good life'

[​IMG]
    mr & mrs thora recently

11. Thora

Shockingly accurate :eek:

12. wtfftw

wtfftw toasted cheese debauchery

I had a mince pie for breakfast. Might do a spot of present wrapping and writing cards to be sent on monday (1st class :facepalm:).

13. LilJen

LilJen *sunkissed*

bloody hell yes :eek:

14. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

I've got one present, I'm so unprepared it's ridiculous. I'm working all weekend so that isn't going to help at all. This happens every bloody year. :facepalm:

15. Voley

Voley And a rovin' a rovin' a rovin' I'll go ...

It might be famous last words but I think I'm sorted. One last prezzy to come and that's it. Deccies have been up for a bit, got all the grub and booze in and I'm really looking forward to it. :)

16. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

The RM are doing collections and deliveries tomorrow as well iirc - one more day than people realise.

Ooo - freezer full of game :cool::cool::cool:

17. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

Main job this year is icing two Christmas cakes (one for me, one as a present to friends). Will try to do something creative with coloured icing etc.

Other than that, presents all sorted and wrapped I think except two that are being posted to my mum's which I'll have to open and wrap on Xmas Eve.

Not sure if I can be arsed with decorations, tree etc this year as it's such a waste of money really and I'll have to decorate my mum's place, but I'll probably succumb to a small potted tree or something if there are any left. Actually I might go and look now...

18. temper_tantrum

temper_tantrum The beauty of the ride

Just spent half the afternoon trying to get a door wreath - florists all seem sold out. Finally found a really nice one though :)

Just pausing for a cuppa tea, then next up is putting the fairy lights up, and the cards.

Butchers order has just arrived (picking the duck up on Xmas Eve). Ocado order coming tomorrow morning. Presents all bought, just a bit of wrapping left to do.

19. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Black puddings very black today, Mother!

All the present stuff is more or less done - just need to make some fudge and chocolate stuff for people at work.

Bit more tidying to do - and present wrapping of course but I tend to do that at the last minute.

Now it is just when, where, how and what foodwise that is stressing me! I have started a list though. And I will be checking it twice :cool::D

20. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

Well I just spent most of the afternoon in bed, so I'm even further behind now :facepalm::cool:

21. mentalchik

mentalchik far too big for her boots

Just got food shop to do, not really much extra apart from couple of boozy treats, don't have visitors etc so not really anything different to get in !

22. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

I've got all my present except I actually still have to make my bezzers.....a cushion cover (with cushion....no expense spared :D ) with three different shades (blue, turquoise and a pale blue/gold) of shot silk.....although I've still got no idea what design I'm going to do. :hmm:

Also my daughter's bike needs to be made up, although I guess I'll have to do that on Xmas eve when they've gone to bed, along with the stockings.

Food delivery's ordered for Tuesday arvo, so may have to do a top up shop on Wednesday if it's missing anything, but my mum's on standby for that too.

Worst thing is just trying to finish painting the house. I only have some glossing and patching to do...scraping paint off windows etc can wait....but I've been at it for weeks and it feels like it's never going to be over (all the doors and frames still left :( ).

Also gotta put my son's room back together cos his was the last to be done, so his furniture is still out in the hall/stacked up in the middle of the room. :D

They're back on Tuesday morning, so at least I'm not having to work around them anymore, so I'm hopeful I can just about get it done tbf, then I can properly enter into the Xmas spirit ready for........

......a Xmas puppet show thing on Wed morning too and I'll get them a posh milkshake from the posh milkshake shop afterwards, so that'll be a good start. :cool:

23. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

4 days! I am under the cosh of Amazon and waiting for a delivery with almost everything in it :facepalm: One prez for niece being dleivered to mum's house and will wrap them all there on 23rd or 24th when I got down. No decs or nice food at my place: too poor and moody for it.

Probably need to get a few more presents but so not in the mood and wallet going ACK! everytime I leave house.

Humbug.

24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

I am about 12% done now

25. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

got quite a bit left to get and only a couple of hours on Tuesday afternoon to do it in :eek: luckily won't need to do a big food shop as we'll be eating at my mum's on Christmas Day. Haven't posted any cards yet :facepalm: or wrapped anything yet :facepalm:

26. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

I have got all the presents but need to do the wrapping. Posted cards yesterday. Will be here on xmas eve but that's it until next weekend so don't need to do any food shopping which is good. On the downside, I have to make many lists so I don't forget to pack something vital, like the foal's teddy or spare pants for him

27. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Base for your face

Fuck.
    I've just found out that my mother and brother will be coming over for christmas. Now I'll have to get them both presents :rolleyes:
    I need to get mince pies and stuff too

28. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

Made some orange shortcrust for some mincepies and some rough puff for a batch of sausage rolls. I really really need to get these cards written tonight cos I need to go shopping tomorrow.

29. zenie

zenie >^^<

Shakeaway? :cool::D

I have 15 out of 17 presents bought and wrapped. I make that 88% together we are 100% ready. :D

I did a bit of shopping earlier today, and I'm just waiting for friends to turn up for our 1st christmas meal. I even bought a teeny tiny christmas tree today. Small is beautiful. ;)

Still haven't decided what to cook on christmas day but I think I'd like some poultry. :hmm:

30. quimcunx

quimcunx christmas miracles ain't all that

Tonight - phone mum to see if presents arrived at theirs. write cards. phone someone for addresses as lost my address book
    Tomorrow - work - buy dad some whisky.
    Tuesday - work
    Wednesday - work. wash clothes, dry clothes, pack clothes and presents.
    Thursday - get on train, be welcomed into the bosom of my family. wrap presents.