1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Rugby Union Thread 2010/2011 season

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Infidel Castro, Sep 3, 2010.

1. bendeus

bendeus Regions, not Rogions!

Why? Are you basing this on some abstract notion about an esprit de corps, or a loyalty to the game that started to wither with the amateur era?

He's a bloke with a strange mind, who has just split from his family, and who is perfectly entitled to make his own decisions about his own life. I, for one, don't know why he's decided to do it, and I'm kinda sad, because I know he won't ever play for the Os again, but I wouldn't presume to judge it. It's just a man making some decisions about how he wants to conduct his life. Nothing more, nothing less. Hasn't got a lot to do with you, and hasn't got a lot to do with me.

2. bendeus

Yeah. If that's what makes him happy.

3. bendeus

Oh, and...

[​IMG]

4. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly entitled to have an opinion on those decisions, and i'm disappointed because he's turning away from the game towards a stupid tv talent contest. As to why he is doing it - I don't know, he was turning away from the game long before his marriage troubles so it wasn't that. Maybe his head was never in the right place to begin with?. Maybe he was always more fake tan and spiky hair than substance?.

5. bendeus

In the main I think you're right. He ain't the sharpest tool in the box, that's for sure, and a lot, though by no means all, of the issues he has had over the years have been 'upstairs'.

Not sure whether it's him drifting away from rugby or rugby drifting away from him - he's always been the outsider, always held in suspicion in some quarters, derided in others, and misrepresented in yet others. Sadly, those who see him for the talent he so undoubtedly is are thin on the ground, and maybe that is the driver for his decision. It's easier to walk away from a sport that has never embraced you, after all.

6. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro They only ate sausage...sausage on a stick

7. bendeus

Yes, and Wales' players are, apparently, fairly pissed off that a man who hasn't played rugby for 18 months should model the new shirt:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/sep/08/gavin-henson-wales-rugby-kit

Tactical masterstroke from the WRU (and Henson himself), though. They get headlines in the English (national) press and the EBC that a Wales shirt launch would never normally garner, and Chavin gets yet more column inches prior to his Strictly career launch.

In other news, the Wasps rumours just keep on coming, to the point that the Pests have issued a official denial that he is their player (but not that he won't be). I'm wondering whether, given Flutey's incumbency at 12 for the pests, our Gav might just have been offered the 10 shirt there. Interesting if it is the case.

8. 1927

1927 Community Statesman

You and me are a very rare breed Bendy, but totally correct in our assessment!!

What I was disappointed to hear tho is that he has his solicitors on the case trying to get out of his Osprey contract. This is why he is probably on Strictly as he has obv decided he wont play for us again, depsite giving himk the time off etc., and I guess he can't play for anyone else even if he wanted to as we wont let him.

Its a bloody shame that we wont ever see him set the field alight with his undoubted brilliance, imho, but as much as i admire and respect the rugby player Gavin Henson the person is getting on my tits now, Good luck to him, but I think his demons have got the better of him and he is being poorly advised.

9. bendeus

We are indeed. Swansea-Neath-Port Talbot rugby region supporting Bluebirds fans are a rare and fascinating breed.

Let's just see it out and work out what happens. I'd just like to see him playing for Wales again, TBH. He is good enough to make a significant difference to our world cup campaign, and good enough to help us win another grand slam in a very weak field. If he's turning out for Sion Edwards, so be it, Hook is a more than able replacement at 12. The thought of having him, Roberts, Shanks and Hook available for selection at centre makes me do a little man wee at the very thought.

10. Infidel Castro

Blues looked good against Leinster yesterday in coming back, but switched off to lose the game then the bonus point. Very annoying.

11. flypanam

flypanam 17-7-2

Ferris has committed himself to Ulster for another 2 years. :cool: And When Ruan Pinear (can't do Saffa spelling) we just might have our best squad ever. Fair play to the IRFU for allowing some decent spending at last!

12. Infidel Castro

Ferris re-signing is a massive plus.

13. bendeus

Good pack, but I'm not sure you've got enough behind the scrum to cause the top teams real problems when it counts.

IMO, of course.

14. bendeus

Haven't seen the highlights but it sounds like a certain Australo-Hibernian halfback laid out a welcome mat in the 10 channel, which was ruthlessly exploited by the ladyboys. Any troot in this?

15. Infidel Castro

The pack was going backward at first which didn't help. The later tries came through the 1-12 channel sort of, but one of them was down to a failed Czekaj attempt to tackle man and ball. THe off-load came very easily for the try. Terrible.

16. bendeus

Was surprised that Dai was willing to put out so weak a starting pack as he did, tbh. That T/H they've got from Doncaster sounds like he's bobbins. Still, I suppose this is the point of the season in which you try out new combos, ease in rookie players and stage the return of the internationals and veterans. Nobody gives a fuck, really. It's the HEC and the sharp end of the season on which they'll be judged, and I still reckon they won't be found wanting. More silverware beckons for the Blues this season, IMO.

17. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Bayonne are leading the way in the Top14 at the moment, leading Racing by 4 points. Not much between te rest o the table, altough La Rochelle, Agen and Bourgoing all look like they will struggle.

In more worrying news, Fabien Barcella is out for 7 months. A few other nasty injuries to players on the periphery of the national team (Yann David suffered a double leg fracture not long after getting back to form after another long injury lay off). Plus ca change...

18. bendeus

At the risk of turning this into a Henson thread rather than a rugby thread, our Gav has spoken out, and what a load of contradictory cobblers it is, too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9002863.stm

He wants a move to London because it will bring him closer to his kids (even though they live in Wales)
    He thinks leaving Wales will 'earn respect'.
    He reckons he'll be good enough to play for Wales again after 'two or three' games
    He claims he wants to return to the Os after a season away (like they'll take him back)
    He wants to return at 10 rather than 12.

Fair fucks, if he'd sat down and designed a 6 point plan to further alienate the Welsh public he couldn't have done any better. Spectacular stuff.

19. flypanam

flypanam 17-7-2

^^^

Such a fucking waste of talent! Obscurity is beckoning for a lad who could have been one of the greatest the N. Hem ever produced. I just wish he took a load of drugs and enjoyed himself but this is bullshit.

20. bendeus

I wouldn't write him off just yet. Fly half at Wasps and 12 for Wales (which he will be again, mark my words) hardly represents a lapse into obscurity.

That Gav is thick, and odd, and poorly-advised, and rather celebrity-obsessed, and flakey is indisputable, but he's still an incredible talent, and he's only 28. I can quite easily see another Lions tour in him if his comeback remains injury free and the club he goes to understands how to handle him.

21. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Is it just possible that Henson simply doesn't enjoy/like rugby? I can think of a air few athletes/sports peeps who view/ed their chosen sport as not much more than a job.

22. bendeus

He did once state that he saw it as a job and that as soon as he'd made enough money from it he'd stop, as he didn't see the point in fucking his body up permanently for the sake of a game (or somesuch).

This seems to directly contradict some statements in his interview about the feeling of pulling on a Welsh shirt and playing in a packed Millennium Stadium.

So fuck knows, really.

23. Infidel Castro

That was an odd bit of telly, but by Jove it was nice to see him talking confidently of returning to rugby and playing for Wales in the 6N this season :D.

24. bendeus

Presactly!

25. Infidel Castro

Munner looking strong. Sorry Bendy...

Blues looking tidy.

Treviso make me smile.

26. flypanam

flypanam 17-7-2

Yeah the Munster pack without O' Connell, Flannery and Wallace was pretty good. They ground out that result. However the Sam Tuitoupu (sp) really excited me and I think once Mafi gets back from injury it's gonna be like having Rua Tipoki all over again. Dougie Howlett looks lean and keen too. I'm only hoping that with Tipp and Cork winning All Irelands munster may be satisfied with that silverware!

As for Ulster 3/3 and nowhere near our best. Marshall was pretty outstanding on Friday so we shall see...

27. Infidel Castro

I can't wait to get Ulster at the CCS. It's gonna be class.

28. flypanam

flypanam 17-7-2

Got Connacht in Galway. After their good start it should be epic. Odds on it's played in a monsoon!

FORWARDS
    Tom Court, Paddy McAllister, Bryan Young, Chris Henry, Rory Best, BJ Botha, Andi Kyriacou, Tim Barker, Johann Muller, Ryan Caldwell, Willie Faloon, Nigel Brady, Robbie Diack, Stephen Ferris, Pedrie Wannenburg, Dan Tuohy

BACKS
    Adam D'Arcy,David McIlwaine, Andrew Trimble, Paul Marshall, Ian Porter, Paul Emerick, Jamie Smith, Darren Cave, Ian Witten, Paddy Wallace, Ian Humphreys, Niall O'Connor

29. Infidel Castro

Dragons v Scarlets tonight. Come on you men of Gwent - give them a twatting!

And we're in Treviso tonight with a few players missing. Brave, but I think an away win is doable. COme on the Blues! It'll be like a mini HEC match out there :).

30. bendeus

Dragons were he-humped up front and in contact last night. Total powderpuff. They're going to have a long, long season - I wouldn't exactly call the Turks a physical side, but they dominated in every aspect.

George North scored again, Tavis Knoyle looking the biz, and Jon Davies is starting to look like a decent centre. Not going to get carried away about the latter, though - think he needs to prove himself at HEC level on a regular basis before I start eulogising.