1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Rugby Union Thread 2010/2011 season

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Infidel Castro, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro They only ate sausage...sausage on a stick

Well, having not seen Bendy and Mattie et al around for a while, I felt it wise to start this bad boy of a thread to acknowledge the commencement of the new season. The O's are in action tonight.

Let's talk rugby.

2. flypanam

flypanam morbidly enormous

Should be an interesting season esp in the Magners. Not sure what to expect from the Italians. Really hope Ulster continue to improve, though was sad to see Issac Boss go to Leinster. But I think Chris Henry will step it at 8 esp up after that tour to NZ and Aus. I think we may just get last spot for the play offs. Hope springs eternal.

Also hope Tommy Bowe, kicks on to another level. Always glad to see a fellow Monaghan boy getting plaudits.

3. junglevip

junglevip Marijuana leads to heron

Friday, 03 September 2010

Glasgow v Leinster, 19:05
    Ulster v Ospreys, 19:05

Saturday, 04 September 2010
    Benetton Treviso v Scarlets, 19:05
    Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 18:30
    Connacht v Newport-Gwent Dragons, 17:30
    Munster v Aironi Rugby, 19:30

I think the Italians will be decent at home. I think one of the Italian teams has beaten Biarritz (Scrum V radio last night...), for me I think if they are 'weaker' to begin with it will give a chance for the players coming through to play at a higher level. I just hope that the Scarlets have a good season for the sake of Welsh and European sake.

For the uninitiated, Scrum V is on the red button and is normally watchable on line throughout the UK. I'll be happy with an all Welsh HC final.... . . .

4. flypanam

Change what I said earlier. I hope Tommy has a stinker!

5. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

Anyone going to the London double header at Twickenham this weekend. I am, unfortunatly I let my mate get the tickets and he sidestepped the £10 ones and went for the £50 instead.

6. Infidel Castro

Apologies for the red herring in suggesting O's were in Italy. Poor show.

I'm looking for the Blues to try and get to the semis in the HEC. That'd be a cracking return. Once in the semis, who knows. We're looking strong again this year. I just hope we continue to evolve.

7. junglevip

junglevip Marijuana leads to heron

I am not a Blues supporter (unless they play an non Welsh team), but how can you not like Dai Young? I am glad he toughed it out and proved himself (I was a doughter, but then I am a fickle O's fan)

8. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Woohoo. Bring on the beefy, sweaty men!
    And the athleticism, tactics, skill and beauty blah blah blah

9. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

..... cheating, cocaine abuse, drink driving.....

10. bendeus

bendeus Regions, not Rogions!

11. bendeus

HEC winner: Ospreys
    Magners winner: Blues
    GP winner: Leicester
    Amlin winner: Toulon

Biggest flop: Munster
    Biggest surprise package: Ulster

6N: France, I s'pose. Nobody looking great, though.

12. bendeus

He has another level? Fuck me, look out, world! :eek:

13. bendeus

Aye. He'll have earned the Welsh coaching job as and when he gets it. Blues a fucking formidable side right now. That pack is awesome, if a little old, and they ain't too shabby behind the scrum either.

14. bendeus

Aironi will be competitive I think. Spent some cash and have competitive pack. It will add spice to the unseemly scramble to avoid coming bottom, at least :)

15. Infidel Castro

The O's threw away a win last night. Not bad for the B-side though...

16. Infidel Castro

Saffers have got the wooden spoon. I hope these new rules suit Wales. Or rather, I hope our players and coaches are clever enough to adapt and use them to our advantage...

Anyway, a bonus win for the Blues, the Scarlets have gone down in Italy (hands up who saw that coming a mile off) and also the Dragons got twatted AGAIN in Connacht. A poor weekend results-wise, but great to see Treviso kick-off with a win. At halftime, Aironi are holding Munster 11-11. Away. Incredible.

17. bendeus

Great performance by the Blues - an absolutely cracking season's opener between two good sides. Lots more to come from them this season. Dan Parks v. impressive. He must be on the same course of drugs that turned Lee Byrne from a flakey journeyman to a serious international fullback in 2008.

Newport Gwent Dragons: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:. Words fail me.

Scarlets - still shit, then, though they've proven that the Italians are going to be competitive at home at the very least.

Anyone also noticed the high try count so far. Could this be the influence of the new interpretation of the breakdown that has transformed SH rugby recently. Certainly saw a lot, lot less aerial ping-pong, and players far more willing to run from deep. Thank fuck, if this is the case, and about time.

18. Infidel Castro

As i was in work yesterday and missed all the rugby (other than watching the scores roll in and then reading the reports), the one thing I'd like to ask is how good young North might be. Did you see anything of him yesterday Bendy? I'm going to have to record Scrum V today and watch it late tonight.

19. bendeus

Two very well taken tries. He had a lot of work to do - neither were strolls over the line. 6'4", fast as fuck, 16 stone and 18 years old. Gatland was very complementary. I just wish we had some more talent coming through in other parts of the pitch, such as blindside, loosehead and centre. With Halfpenny, Kristian Phillips, Prydie, Will Harries, and now North coming through I don't fear having strength on the wings or at fullback.

20. starfish

starfish Aloof but effective.

Good win for Glasgow over Leinster but it it looks like last season all over again for GHA in Scots Div 2 who have now lost their first three games.

21. bendeus

Where's Mattie, FFS? Rumours linking Henson, who is back in training, to Bath. I would fucking piss meself. I would also demand he buy me a pint when the orange one proves beyond doubt how much value he is to a team :)

22. felixthecat

felixthecat embarrassing mother

Oh dear God, not again. Been here before I believe.
    I will have to research this.......

*gets on the phone..*

23. bendeus

Please, god, let it be true.

*rubs hands in anticipation*

24. Infidel Castro

Ben Lewis is back for the O's. With him and Warburton we should be able to put a good 7 out in the next 10yrs. And the way North played through the centre for that one try implies he might be a good punt there as well.

I caught up with Scrum V, and for all the talk about the Blues try being the best of the competition thus far (early days of course), I was much more impressed with Treviso's classic against Scarlets. Beautifully functional. It was like watching people practicing in training so simple did they make it look.

25. bendeus

Nah, after all the kerfuffle, he is going to appear on Strictly. Ah, well, Bath's loss is the Beeb's gain :(

26. flypanam

Trying to nail that place in the Wales World Cup team then. I like Henson, I really do. But as an Irish Fan i do feel sorry for the Welsh. Just kick him to touch. You've enough good players without wasting time on someone whose head is clearly not right.

27. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I would stick the knife in, but it's just disappointing.

28. sleaterkinney

Anyway, good to see the Italian teams putting in good performances in the ML this weekend, it could be the answer the Italy side is looking for and a template for growing rugby in the rest of europe.

29. bendeus

Hook is coming through as the creative, international-class 12/13 Wales needs at just the right moment. If it weren't for him, I'd be despairing, TBH.

Henson's head? Always been a strange thing. Some feel that he just wants out of Wales, and that Strictly's October to January contract is timed perfectly for him to start negotiations with an English club and walk away from the Os.

I personally don't give a fuck what club he plays for if he is still available for Wales, and I still feel that the latter could happen. We'll see.

30. sleaterkinney

Would you forgive him doing the cha-cha-cha instead of playing rugby?.