1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*The Real Ale Thread

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by ernestolynch, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin new eyes, new specs

The Baird? Lovely pub, really well kept ale, but typical N10 prices :facepalm:
  2. Onket

Onket Gertcha

3. Mapped

Mapped Perth, Oz

Lunchtime ales? That's a slippery slope :)
  4. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

5. Onket

Onket Gertcha

6. Mapped

Mapped Perth, Oz

7. Onket

Onket Gertcha

I prefer the term 'enthusiast'.

:p
    Ron Merlin likes this.
  8. Mapped

Mapped Perth, Oz

It's not ale, but it's not piss either. Last night I had a few too many Cotswold Lagers (5%) and I didn't have any trace of a hangover this morning. Miracle lager :)
  9. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

I really like Cotswold Largers. I had a couple on the weekend then moved pubs and had a pint of Kronenburg. After the Cotswold Premium it was horrible - my next pint was an Ale.

There's a splinter organisation of CAMRA that recognises that good beer does not have to be ale. The liberal faction is The Campaign for Really Good Beer - http://camrgb.blogspot.com/
  10. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Is it me, or does their link to their new website just link back to the same blog?
  11. Onket

Onket Gertcha

12. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Was in the Beehive (Wetherspoons) yesterday, they've got rid of the 5.7% Old Empire so I was drinking a nice Autumn ale whose name I have forgotten cos I ended up having quite a few of them.
  13. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Did anyone have any of the Youngs Christmas Ale over the 'festive period'?

The Trinity in Brixton are currently selling theirs off for £2 a pint which is a welcome change as Youngs pubs are normally quite dear.

4.8% and not dark like some Christmas Ales. Very similar to Youngs Special but slightly stronger. Lovely.
  14. oryx

oryx Gamey Winehouse

I'm pretty sure I had a few halves of that in the Clockhouse on Peckham Rye. Or maybe it was my partner. (That suggests a long, amnesia-inducing session, which it wasn't, honest).

Partner is now saying he had someone else's real ale in the Dog and Bell in Deptford.

:oops: I should unsubscribe from the real ale thread really.
  15. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Bathing in the golden gloop

I was in a little pub in Wigan the other week, drinking beer from theAllgates micro-brewery. It was the loveliest beer I've had in donkey's years. Only £1.90 a pint, I would've paid twice that. And there was free chips and cheese & onion sandwiches!
  16. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

There's a pub which sells Fullers beer around these parts (the otherwise excellent Harcourt Arms in Jericho). Anyway on their menu the put prices on mixes of ales - such as half a Chiswick and half a London Pride. Never seen that before.
  17. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Had a few pints of 'Dutchman' last night watching the football. A very nice pint. 4.5%
  18. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

For nostagia sake I had a couple of ramrod and special mixes in the Spreadeagle in Camden, it's a Young's pub - ramrod out of the pumps, special in a bottle - usually you get over a pint - used to drink it years ago when I lived near Wimbledon (more Young's pubs that way)

ramrod and spesh:cool:
  19. Onket

Onket Gertcha

You sure it's not Special out of the pump & Ramrod in a bottle?

And got to be more than the cost of a pint cos you're involving the cost of a bottle, hasn't it?
  20. marty21

actually I think you're right:oops:
    and I can't remember how much it cost (it was a few weeks ago) but I don't remember it being excessive
  21. Onket

Onket Gertcha

My work local is a Youngs pub and I love a pint of Special so I might give this a go sometime. :)
    marty21 likes this.
  22. marty21

went there again the other day - £3.75 for a ramrod and spesh - which I thought reasonable - it's more than a pint!

eta - not your work local - unless you now work in Camden