1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Londoners on Bikes campaign

Discussion in 'transport' started by RubyToogood, Mar 31, 2012.

1. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

http://www.londonersonbikes.org.uk/

The gist of this is that you sign up to say you'll vote for the mayoral candidate with the best policy on cycling, and they use this to pressurise all the candidates. I got accosted by a chap a couple of days ago who gave me a card and we had a fairly long talk.

My problem is that I am just not going to vote for Boris. Not ever. Over my dead body. Cycling is not more important to me than any other issue.

PS I think I meant to post this in the London forum - if a mod wants to move it feel free.

2. wulfhound

wulfhound New Member

Hello,

Londoners on Bikes volunteer here (speaking in personal capacity not on behalf of the campaign) - if your accoster was 30something years old & anywhere around Elephant, Camberwell, Herne Hill, Borough etc., was probably me. It's been a fascinating experience - my involvement in politics up til now was mostly limited to shouting at the tv whenever Question Time is on; get some great stories about why people will never vote for candidate xyz, including one who was nearly knocked off his bike when Brian Paddick stepped off the road in to a cycle lane, and a left-leaning Jewish couple who could never again vote for Ken Livingstone because of his alleged anti-Semitism.

Agree wholeheartedly that there are more important issues than whether or not London is a nice place to ride a bike. The NHS, education, the economy, Europe, for me personally those all matter at least as much as "green" issues in general. Am sure everyone has their own list; thing is, though, the Mayor doesn't have much in the way of actual power on any of those. Transport and policing are the main areas where he wields actual clout; he does a fair bit to set the tone of the city's cultural life, but actual licensing/planning tends to be decided at borough level & funding is mostly national.

Ken has said he wants to turn this election in to a referendum about public transport fares & is proposing to spend around £200m/yr keeping fares down. Boris instead wants to cut the London Assembly's take of council tax. We'd like to see candidates doing more to support cycling as it's very often the quickest and cheapest way of getting around town, certainly the healthiest, and in many ways the fairest (in London, the burden of road danger, air pollution & noise pollution falls most heavily on children and elderly people with low incomes in Zones 1 & 2 - the very people least likely to own a car); when you consider that the CS superhighways cost about £50m in total, imagine what £200m/yr could do.

Finally - we're not just for people who ride bikes, we're for everyone that sees it as a good way of getting around town but find current road conditions off-putting. Happy to answer any questions here; if you'd like to support us, please do sign up on the web site - the more people that sign up, the more we'll be able to make all the candidates commit to making London a nicer place to ride a bike.

Cheers,
    WH

3. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

what makes you think boris is the best mayor for cyclists?

4. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

I don't, I have no idea who is. But if I was to sign up for the campaign I'd be saying that I'd vote for him if he was. Which would be a lie.

5. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Is this a separate organisation from the LCC and their "go dutch" mayoral lobbying campaign?

6. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

yep. independent of LCC.

From the LOB faq page:

The LCC were the first people we talked to. They wish us well, but we understand they cannot support us. Our campaign will make voting recommendations. LCC is a charity and cannot do that.
    “Go Dutch” is an inspiring vision for London. We recommend it.
    Londoners on Bikes is a strictly political campaign. Showing the mayoral candidates the cycling vote puts direct political pressure on them to find and pledge solutions.
    Add your vote to the pressure!

7. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

i've no idea who is either, i suspect worse is a tie between Johnson for raising speed limits and more of a personal vendetta here, Paddick for his ludicrous "licence plates for bicycle messengers" suggestion. i won't be voting this time round so i'm not hugely bothered by their policies. green are probably best but stand not a hope in hell, ken is ken and maybe it's better the devil you know but i'm not sure i could stand his smugness if he gets back in again.

8. wulfhound

wulfhound New Member

(edited - Plurker beat me to it)

Personally I've signed up for both. And The Times' Cyclesafe manifesto too.