1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the Facebook public launch

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by weltweit, May 18, 2012.

1. grit

grit an ugly force for good

The only distinction is that foxconn produce a tangible good.

2. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

The latter couldn't exist without the former, the former however could exist without the latter. (and what is a Facebook programmer?)

3. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Well, apart from this being quite a sizeable difference you're wrong. And you're still not getting that a single company making a profit doesn't mean that total capital therefore makes a profit.

Maybe you could show me the commonalities between a 1000 multi-millionaires and 10s of thousands of chinese workers? Why there is so many more of the latter and so few of the former?

4. grit

Well considering foxconn are producing iphones and ipods, those devices couldnt exsist without the software to run them. From Apple's point of view the hardware is near irrelevant, where Apple adds value is the software.

5. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

clueless.

6. grit

Ok assemble the hardware without any software and see how much use you get.

7. grit

You appear to be just going off on a tangent now. Anyway its friday night I've had enough, its been sort of interesting. However ultimately it looks like your argument is software cant produce surplus value, which I dont agree with.

8. butchersapron

I've not gone off on a tanget once throughout this discussion.I've been relentlessly focused (like a good laurie penny!). I've had no answers to repeated questions, i've had repeated misunderstandings of what i'm saying, i've answered every single question asked of me in return.

9. grit

Googling "software as surplus value" brings up some interesting discussions similar to what we have been going at. It appears there are just two schools of thought on it.

10. butchersapron

Imagine that, i had no idea.

11. grit

Just thought it was interesting that people with a similar level of interest in marx dont agree with your view. Which gives some weight to the idea that some of marx's ideas are now outdated with the changes that have occured.

12. butchersapron

But i haven't offered that view. Not once.

13. yield

yield zero

"all that is solid melts into air."

14. grit

I did.

15. butchersapron

Well no you didn't - you offered it for me. Which is amusing at it's not a position that i hold or have ever held.

16. grit

17. butchersapron

It might well have been, but why insist that this position that i don't hold and have never held is what i was arguing? I never once argued such a thing. What does this say about what you based your replies to me on?

18. grit

I'm not :confused:

19. butchersapron

No?

20. grit

I was referring to marx being outdated.

21. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Jesus suffering Christ.

22. butchersapron

When you specifically said that i was making a specfic argument that i didn't you were refering to marx being outdated? Have i that right? Been a long day has it?

23. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

:D

Top wummery.

24. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

25. grit

Every example of a software product provided you claimed it didnt create surplus value. Is there software that does?

26. butchersapron

Am i mad or did you claim this?

And no i didn't. I didn't say that about a single software product. Not one. There were no software examples offered to me - were there?

27. grit

iTunes is a software product, so is facebook.

28. butchersapron

Ah you offered me itunes - one example, then felt justified in saying when i answered correctly that on this basis that i hold a view that i don't and never have done? And then pretending that you said no such thing then going on to argue that i was wrong to hold such a view that you didn't ever suggest that i held :cool:

29. grit

I said it appeared/looks like you did. A suggestion.

You also said it was obvious that foxconn produced surplus value where a facebook software developer didnt.

30. butchersapron

Yet i didn't, and then you suggested that you had not offered any such readings of my posts. The immediately proceeded to try and prove me wrong on my belief that software could never produce surplus value.