1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Day The Earth Stood Still - with Keanu Reeves

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by weltweit, Jun 24, 2011.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

2. S☼I

S☼I human being not a human doing

Did he play Gort?

3. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

I watched it. Meh.

Original is something of a sci-fi classic, but I think I've only seen the first half hour or so.

4. weltweit

Oh, I enjoyed it...

I had never heard of the original.

5. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Black puddings very black today, Mother!

6. weltweit

oh, the original looks good, subtly different from the newer one.

7. QueenOfGoths

Well worth watching, it is a classic film :)

8. Lord Camomile

I didn't hate it, I just didn't think it ever really got going, or indeed went anywhere (I'm blaming Friday afternoon for that sentence). It plodded along, then rushed to the end, then it was over.

Thought John Cleese's cameo was good though, got kinda interesting when they started discussing it all, but that didn't last long either.

9. DarthSydodyas

DarthSydodyas rusting

That kid deserved a slap, tho.

10. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Anti-homelessness stud.

What do you mean apparently? It was a remake. Of one of my favourite films. And I refuse to watch Bill and Ted trample all over it. Fuck you Keanu. Fuck YOU!

Boycey and october_lost like this.
  11. killer b

killer b Oh Yeah Baby

Has to be said that 'with keanu reeves' is a fairly depressing thing to read about any film...

felixthecat likes this.
  12. danny la rouge

Indeed.

All I can say is Gort, klaatu barada nikto.

13. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

He doesn't even really say that.

I watched it with the Mrs, who hasn't seen the original. She had to tell me to stop shouting at the tv about old films

Boycey and Termite Man like this.
  14. gavman

gavman pj slumpy

the crappy human relationships made it unwatchable for me. i know that was partly the point, but between the horrible kid and the horrible government, i just switched off.
    nice effects, mind. but 'knowing' was a much better film imo

15. danny la rouge

What? Jesus. :rage: Why? Why do they do this?

16. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

danny yesterday:

"Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

[​IMG]

dylanredefined likes this.
  17. QueenOfGoths

danny you are a man after my own heart :D

18. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

How can you not have heard of TDTESS (original)? Its one of the great classics of cinema!

Are you sure about that? :hmm:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm sure he does.

19. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

He's talking about the remake.

Which was sadly not very good. Your basic hollywood pap. Keanu is actually a good choice for that kind of role, he doesn't really emote well, but the script was paper thin.

They're just chewing up every good old movie and spitting them out now.

20. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Absolutely hated it. It's not a patch on the original.

The only caveat I'd give to that is a cameo by James Hong. He's one of my favorite bit players and he's a good, solid, working actor.

21. Lord Camomile

Not that this is really worth the bump, but apparently Keanu had it inserted (heh) at his insistence. Twice.

22. jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk ...just kids gone wild.

Love the original fucking hate the new one. I was especially ranty about the scene where he is in a room alone with the lie detector guy. Probably definitely an alien but nah we won't post a guard in with him or monitor the situation at all in fact. Grrr hate shit like that and yes reeves is shit.

23. Lord Camomile

That was a little... odd, yes. My flatmate who wasn't even watching the film happened to walk in during that scene and also pointed out how stupid it was.

24. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

I watched it, but I have forgotten it already... mmm, hang on, if I think about it, it's all coming back to me.

it was alright I guess... Interesting story, but the way Keanu arrived at the conclusion that humans are capable of good was a bit contrived. All it seemed to take was a few tears. Mind you if we saw cows crying we'd probably have more respect for them :D

25. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

26. weltweit

I just watched it again tonight on Film4 (the Keanu version) - I enjoyed it. Like the sci-fi assumptions and plot. To save the earth - from us .. not to save us ... the arks ... the typical defence secretary etc etc ..

27. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

I don't think you can really enjoy it if you've already seen the original. (The original, sadly, probably cannot be viewed by the current generation(s) because Klaatu looks like a pedo).

However...for fans....neither is original...

http://thenostalgialeague.com/olmag/bates-farewell-to-the-master.html

...is the original, and it's only 3 pages long. :)

28. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Klaatu only looks like a pedo if your mind is poisoned by tabloid panic that a sexual relationship is the only relationship a grown man and a boy can have who aren't father and son.

Frankie Jack likes this.
  29. biggus dickus

biggus dickus what a dork! Banned

I remember I saw the original when I was about 8 and it realy affected me a lot, I think it was the whole nuclear war analogy cause there was quite a lot of nuclear war stuff at the time and the whole everything ending for no reason really addled my little brain

I thought the remake was ok, not a patch on the original. It was interesting how the old robot looks more impressive than the new robot even though the new one does all kinds of cool stuff whereas the new one just had that light
    I thought that the director really didn't get the point of the film, amazingly so. The new one played out like a disaster movie or something where the woman and token only had 24 hours to save the world, totally missing the philosophical part of the original. This just made it a threat from outside rather than the 'the enemy is us' idea which was THE ENTIRE FUCKNG POINT OF THE STORY

I did like the John Cleese bit though

30. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Can't people come up with any new story lines? Why do a lot of modern films insist on trampling on relics?