1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ashes 2009

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Santino, Jun 26, 2009.

1. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

Rashid gets his 50
  2. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

I spent the winter training in the nets at Headingley and was lucky enough to see a lot of Rashid up close - although sadly not in the same net as him! He looks like the real deal although it will be interesting to see is he ends up as a batting or bowling all rounder.....
  3. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

England A all out for 352 - just 6 shy of the Aussie total. Australia now 57-2 in their second innings. Hughes and Ponting out cheap again - both by Harmmison.
  4. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

Maybe it's bad luck, but for Hughes to be bounced out twice like that really doesn't look too good.. well done Harmison (for a change)
  5. TrippyLondoner

I thought hughes was meant to be smashing the ball all over the place against us, funny that.
  6. paulhackett

Harmison appears to be going round the wicket and pitching short at leg stump to him (given he apparently backs off to give himself room and smack through the off side).

I've not really seen him play too much other than brief highlights and the dismissals, but the 2nd innings was no more than chest high on leg stump, he didn't drop his hands and fended to gully off his chest, leaning back.. if he was English, he'd be getting slaughtered in the way say Strauss was when he was 'found out' a couple of years ago. Even if Harmison doesn't play, Anderson, Broad and Freddie are all capable of banging it in at the same speed at him.

That said, KP wasn't looking too clever either, so 2 innings are hardly indicative of a fault..
  7. TrippyLondoner

Lee gets man of the match, no surprise. Match ended in a draw, again, no surprise for a four day match.
  8. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

Looks like that Hughes fella got himself quite badly found out by Harmison there :hmm:
  9. liquidlunch

liquidlunch fargonebeauty

Then why wont the selectors pick him in the side.Because he oversteps and bowls too many loose ones.
    He should be in your team because when he is doing the biz he is a handfull.
  10. paulhackett

To Hughes, they must think that a fit Flintoff and Broad bowling round the wicket will produce the same sort of deliveries as Harmison, with more of a guarantee, plus runs. So Onions or Panesar would provide a different bowling option for the wicket. Sounds like he's now a horses for courses selection.

Apparently Siddle is in the side this week?
  11. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Well, not now you've mentioned it jonah :D

0 - 5, due to upsidedownwalrus jinx :mad:
  12. TrippyLondoner

His name says it all really, 'upside down'= the way his predictions end up.
  13. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Australia are gonna kick England's arse. Go the Aussies!!!!!! Rip thrpugh 'em.
  14. TrippyLondoner

You not english??

edit: i welcome the hate, makes me even more fired up.
  15. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

I'm British! I spent time in Australia and loved the cricket. I love the Ashes rivalry and getting it on :p
  16. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

British or English?

If you are English and support the Australians - I would guess you are also a Man Utd fan.
  17. TrippyLondoner

:D
  18. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I was going to put up a poll. The question:

Should I pay £25 to get Sky Sports 1 for a month - and 'work from home' on thursday and friday?
  19. Azertyioup

Azertyioup Wind it up

Absolutley, if it's doable do it, surprised you need to ask. :D Got a feeling it's gonna be pretty epic stuff.
  20. TrippyLondoner

Yup, it will be. I keep going back and forth in my mind which way it will go, then thinking 'fuck it, its gonna be great'.
  21. Azertyioup

Azertyioup Wind it up

Yeah know what you mean, keep thinking 2-1 England then 2-1 Australia then 2-2, just want to see result cricket, hopefully we will get that as Lords seems to be offering a bit more to the bowlers these days and I notice there have been a few results at the Oval in 1st class games this year, so hopefully the two London venues will offer something for bat and ball.

Still not too happy about Cardiff been used as effectively it's a neutral venue, and it all seems a bit 'political' rather than usuing the best grounds for England to win on.

Shame on England for not using Old trafford where they have a very good record in recent times especially the likes of Harmison and Panesar.
  22. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Weather needs to be good. There's a big screen at Spinningfields in manc, and you can take your own picnic and soft drinks.

My lemonade's going to be a little....enhanced ;)
  23. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

24. Azertyioup

Azertyioup Wind it up

Dunno if anyone saw the Guardian preview of the Ashes ? A good thing they did was they had the last 10 1st class games at all the venues to be used and what the results were..

Cardiff last 10 - 7 draws 3 results

Lords last 10 - 6 draws 4 results

Edgbaston last 10 - 7 draws 3 results

Leeds last 10 - 6 draws 4 results

Oval last 10 - 5 draws 5 results

All of course in 4 day cricket so to me I think there will be at least 3 results more likely 4, maybe just one draw unless the weather jumps in.
  25. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Dandelion and Burdock :cool:
  26. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Mid season - wickets performing at optimum?

A hot dry summer may see things getting flatter but turning more.
  27. Azertyioup

Azertyioup Wind it up

Yep plus reverse swing(which England are very good at) will play a role on the dry abrasive surfaces and of course day 5 wickets normally are not easy to chase a total on, all in all I see 4 results and one draw weather permitting of course.

Basically the hot weather should favour england as there ahead in the spin and are very good exponents of reverse swing, Anderson and Flintoff in particular. Oh for a fully fit injury free Simon Jones THEN WE'D BE TALKING. :D

Plus not long ago a fair few of those 1st class games that ended draws were weather affected as it was pretty rainy for a bit, to me looks like a 'result' cricket summer providing the weather stays hot..
  28. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

We have to see what Onions can do with an old ball on a hot day. He might rise to it.
  29. Azertyioup

Azertyioup Wind it up

Yeah I like Onions, a good whole hearted wicket to wicket bowler, should be pinning a few LBW, and has a load of wkts for Durham so far, he has good aggression. Be nice to have Harmison as a back up though, seems to be bolwing well ATM.

But we all know by now what Harmy can be like...:rolleyes:

Shame we can't have Phil mustard as wkt keeper for the classic caught Mustard bowled Onions. :p
  30. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

I didn't say in this case that it would be 5-0 to England. I queried whether other people were saying it.

:hmm:

As it goes, I'm gong with 2-1 to the convicts.