1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the 2012 allotment thread

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by mr steev, Mar 9, 2012.

1. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Terrible season for gooseberries and strawberries. Excellent for black currant ( although last years crop were bigger) and raspberries. Last weeks weather have given the climbing french beans a bit of a boost but the courgettes and squashes are painfully slow.

The potatoes have blight , apart form the purple ones, so i have cut the foliage off . I dug some up and they are mainly fine so I will provably leave them in the ground for a little longer.

Picked some red cabbage ( Kalibos) today, planted out more leeks and endive, also moved some lettuce seedlings which were a bit crowded. The pigeons had a good go at my kale plants but I think with a bit of luck some might survive. Picked some mange tout but again its not beans a good season for me with peas.

Had a great crop of braod beans though and I think I will cook them , skin them and fry tthem with some garlic, small onions and bacon in olive oil and a smidgeon of white wine later in the week.

Impressive weed growth.

2. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Planted out around a 100 leek seedlings yesterday - tedious job , but rewarding in the Winter when you can lift them and cook them. Potato crop good , beans zilch , 2 courgettes , good raspberries , second rhubarb crop about to be culled (a record)

Broccoli plants thriving.

3. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

I went up today after being on holiday for just over a week. I know I should be happy that the weather was good and that we had 6 consecutive hot and sunny beach days (in Wales!!) but the flip side means that all my calabrese have gone to flower :( The rest of the brasicas are doing well though and I planted another 24 purple sprouting this afternoon.

It looks like we now have badgers to contend with too. There's a set at the end of the plot apparently and today I discovered 2 out of the 3 courgette plants had been dug up, and what would've been the first courgette snapped in half. I've replanted them but not sure whether they'll pick up. I've still got a fair few squash to go in but I fear it may be a bit late now. I'll probably stick them in tomorrow and see what happens.

There are a few strawberries, raspberries and currants but no where near what it should be. Loads of spuds though. The yields not great on the earlies but we planted loads so we have plenty. I had a fair bit of rhubarb, spinach, broad beans, a few peas and the beetroot is the best we've had. The shallots seem to have survived the onion fly and the spring planted garlic is still upright and green. I've also planted 50 leeks which all look quite happy. :cool:

4. The39thStep

Picked the first climbing french beans at the weekend , normally they are ready about early mid July. Harvested the onions and dug up some more spuds, picked some lettuce and spring onion. Will leave the garlic till next week. Picked some cauliflower , some small carrots, broad beans and some turnips and will make some vegetable cous couse with harrisa during the week.

5. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

It's all gone a bit beetroot-tastic :D I think I shall be making loads of chutneys later this week :cool:

Cropped the last of the broad beans on Saturday, and lifted the shallots and garlic. After a disappointing start the spuds just keep on giving. We've still got loads so as long as they store ok we should be alright for spuds until next years crop are ready.
    The cabbages are all doing really well too, and we have more than enough to last us through the winter. Planting the carrots in beds made from old oil drums was a good idea it seems :)
    The two courgette plants didn't survive the badger attack though. So I only have one quite small plant that's only just started producing. The raspberries and currants have been very disappointing too

6. The39thStep

Better late than never I suppose. Some of the crops have caught up well but what a disappointing crop of garlic this year. Been picking loads of purple french beans, the fantastic french/runner bean crosss Moonlight and the borlotti beans are looking good. Have loads of lemon cucumbers and spinach. still digging the spuds but the blight has affected yield. Summer onions so so. Out of all the fruit crops its the wild black berries that are the best , loads of very sweet plump fruit.

The summer cauliflowers and broccoli have been good and although the beetroot didn't germinate in the numbers expected that has been really good as well.Lettuces and endive have done well.

The squash are small but if we have a good September they will be reasonable. My fingers are crossed for the Yacon and Occa which i won't touch until end of this month at the earliest.