1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me of a nice village in the Peak District

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by mrsfran, Jul 20, 2012.

1. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

Obviously, I know the Peak District is chock-full of picturesque villages, I'm just spoilt for choice. We're going for 3 days and would like to spend half a day or so in a nice little village. Tea rooms, nice pubs, a few things of interest to look at, that sort of thing.

Is Hartington nice? Tideswell? Youlgreave? I don't know.

2. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Royston Vasey is said to be based on Hadfield near Glossop.

Boycey, Badgers, kittyP and 3 others like this.
  3. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

Edale is nice as is Hathersage

el-ahrairah likes this.
  4. mrsfran

Hmm. Those 3 are towards the Northern end of the Peak District. We're staying near Wirksworth, FWIW.

5. tufty79

tufty79 Well-Known Member

and league of gentlemen was filmed there too. (sorry mrs fran, i know that doesn't help :oops:)

6. rioted

rioted redundant

Wirksworth itself is nice as an old industrial village - has galleries, museums, pubs cafes. Any smaller and you have to do without the "amenities". Castleton's quaint. Cromford's got shit loads of history - birthplace of the industrial proletariat. Belper's thriving. Matlock/Matlock Bath is Blackpool-in-Peak but lots of hidden gems. Winster is smaller but up on the pituresque. Birchover has victorian pleasure rocks and Stanton Moor.

Bakewell :))) of course, and Ashford (smaller) a bit further north.

But Cromford! :):)

7. mrsfran

Thanks Rioted, that's helpful. We are planning a trip to Bakewell too, for the tarts of course.

8. neonwilderness

neonwilderness Well-Known Member

I stopped in Baslow (near Bakewell) last month while on the way to Buxton. Admittedly it was just for a quick toilet stop, but the rest of the village looked quite nice :D

9. friedaweed

friedaweed Got myself a gunnNNN

You'll never leave:D

kittyP likes this.
  10. 2hats

2hats these hands were made for baking

If you've never read it before then one place you might get some new ideas from is Mike Harding's Walking the Peak and Pennines. I enjoyed reading it and weaving days out around the locations many years ago.

kittyP likes this.
  11. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Lovely place it may be but every village that I've ever been to in the Peak District has left me seething with the urge to go postal!

12. susie12

susie12 Well-Known Member

Especially Hadfield. Definitely a local place for local people, I would avoid.

tufty79 likes this.
  13. tufty79

tufty79 Well-Known Member

"there's nothing for you (t)here" :D

susie12 likes this.
  14. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

Puddings not tarts, they're funny about that.

pogofish likes this.
  15. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

16. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

Personally, I'd avoid Bakewell (and Matlock) - too twee, too crowded.

I really like Youlgreave, and Tideswell is deffo worth a nosy, great place to start a walk from. The Tissington trail is lovely, and old rail line so nice and flattish. And Stanton Moor, already said, gorgeousness.

17. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

I agree Bakewell is a bit too much, but it's worth seeing once if you've not been there.

18. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

19. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Hathersage would be my choice too. There's a good bakery, good food at the pubs(I think editor's link will provide names), the David Mellor kitchen place is there and they have a cool old Massey outside by the traffic lights :) Oh and the church up from the pub we ate in on Saturday night is worth a look.

20. mrsfran

Following on from this, can anyone recommend a nice family-friendly restaurant for lunch one day? Near Wirksworth if possible.

21. belboid

belboid Hang Liberals

Wirksworth - le mistral or the Malt shovel inn. Ye Olde Gate Inn in brassington, or the Miners Arms in Carsington

22. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

make sure to visit the cat and fiddle

23. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Day trip to Arbor Low and Buxton, tea at http://www.bulliththorn.com/ Not massively cheap but very relaxed (they let a load of munters and site crew have a party all weekend in their barn), and though the food wasn't massively cheap (£7-9 per adult meal) the food was epic quality and fuck knows where they got veggies so fresh. Everything is 100% home cooked and really good portions of very fresh food.

The camp site is also dirt cheap. £3 per night for tents.

If you do go Buxton PM and I'll tell you the location of the top secret discount shop. Full of the sort of awesome stuff you don't get in city discount shops and pisses all over Wilkos - you won't find it without directions.

Not sure what the food is like but you may want to visit http://www.birchoverredlion.com/ as well, and more importantly the carved rocks nearby (ask directions in the pub - there are thrones and all sorts, known locally as druids rock). And of course always worth a stroll over to Nine Ladies stone circle, if you come at it over the moor from the Birchover side you avoid steep hills but miss the spring.

24. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

Think Edale is good for a starting point for a walk but it's basically three buildings, not much of a village! Hope's a bit better down the road but for somewhere to spend a day I'd say Castleton, bit bigger with more variety of shops/better choice of things to do (plus the caverns)

25. mrsfran

We went to Wirksworth, Cromford, Hathersage, Bakewell and Tideswell. I liked Tideswell and Wirksworth the best :)

Miss-Shelf, Mrs Magpie and rioted like this.
  26. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

Never been out of the S postcode in the Peaks, never will

27. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

Castleton gets my vote.

28. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....

Buxton is brilliant. Loads of music, everyone smiles, lots to drink and then there's the drugs! more drugs than you can shake a stick at. Seriously, you'll love it.

Well it was when I went to a three day concert years ago.:)

29. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I cycled from cromford to edale this weekend. Edale was decent for camping and a couple of ales in the evening :)

Miss-Shelf likes this.