1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspected swine flu at Glastonbury

Discussion in 'festivals' started by laptop, Jun 27, 2009.

1. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

:eek: :hmm:

2. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

Just saw this. A bit more damp weather and we could have a Glasto quarantine.

3. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

That would be brilliant :D

4. Cloud

Cloud Omar Commin!

Thats really weird cos I was saying to my son today that Glasto is bound to be a huge breeding ground for flu.

Looking at the daily stats there are bound to be people there who have it.

5. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

6. Jazzz

Jazzz the truth don't care Banned

hasn't everyone realised this is a massive scare story yet

7. ajk

ajk that's a shame

irony

8. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

It's all right, I think there's a vaccine against that :D

9. Cloud

Cloud Omar Commin!

Have you looked at the recent confirmed cases?

It's not the killer they said it was but it is spreading like fuck and nobody is immune to it.

10. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Reflounced. None of you are worth bothering with.

It's not terribly surprising, is it? Goneril came home with a swine flu letter from school; a few of her classmates have succumbed. And we're a couple down at the blacking factory, as well. Bound to be a few cases in a hundred thousand muddy funsters.

11. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Well this is why, if the mortality rate of the swine flu had been very high at this stage, things like Glasto could well have been cancelled.

12. Jazzz

Well it's pretty simple. Our rulers like keeping people in fear of things both real and imagined. However they also mistreat us, but don't want us to understand that. So we get lied to both ways.

13. _float_

_float_ New Member

"A further 535 people in England were confirmed with swine flu on Friday. This follows 111 cases in Scotland and five cases in Northern Ireland confirmed on Thursday and three cases in Wales announced earlier on Friday.

To date there have been 4,250 confirmed cases of swine flu in the UK."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Swineflu/DG_177831

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

What should government do then - not bother telling people when a new strain of flu emerges?

Plus your point of view overlooks the fact that government have actually been trying to play down any swine flu fears.

This is the age of reason thank you very much, people like you would probably drag us back to the dark ages where we can blame evil spirits for people dropping dead.

100% lack of faith in government is just as dangerous as 100% faith.

15. Maurice Picarda

Isn't it the case that most people in their sixties and above, who were exposed to the Asian flu, seem to have retained some immunity? I assumed that was why so few people were carking, as flu usually carries off the elderly.

Mexico's rural poor were presumably more isolated in the 1950s so a higher proportion would be free from this immunity.

16. Maurice Picarda

It's not evil spirits. That's just what the lizards want you to think.

17. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Colloidal silver clusterbombs. That'll fix it :cool:

18. ajk

ajk that's a shame

Pentawater the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

:mad:

19. Jazzz

It's just flu

don't let me stop you panicking though if you enjoy it :)

20. Teepee

Teepee like livewire voodoo

i think i've landed in a parallel universe :hmm:

21. Relahni

Relahni New Member

It's fuck all really. About 20 people at my work have had swine flu. It's like a cold. Very mild. Dunnow why the press are getting their knickers in a knot?

22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Nearly, the Asian flu was H2N2, which is very different to this swine flu. It was people who were alive before that pandemic that may have some immunity, because before H2N2 came along, H1N1 was prevalent, and the swine flu is a type of H1N1. Not everybody older that 52 will have immunity, because some of them will never have caught the flu back then.

Still the devil is in the detail when trying to understand this stuff, because H1N1 has also been back on the scene in humans since sometime in the 1970's, its one of the normal seasonal flu's of recent decades, but I guess that H1N1 is quite different to both the swine flu, and the sort of H1N1 that was around before 1957.

23. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

But it's a form of influenza NAMED AFTER AN ANIMAL Relahni! :eek: That makes it like, a hundred times more effective in the media.

To be honest, I eagerly await Koala Flu, and especially Sloth Flu :D

24. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

That'll take ageeeeeeeeeeees to spread

25. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Depends if Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Wrath, Envy and Pride get out - it could be a cardinal spread :(

26. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

This:

Jazzz is not wrong to say 'its just flu', but the problem is that flu of any sort is still a killer. Even when the vast majority of people who get it do not die, the presence of a strain which most people do not have immunity to causes problems, just from the sheer number of people who get it.

I know its a lot easier for people to get their heads round diseases that have similar outcomes in most cases, but the flu is never that straightforward. People who are in 'at risk' groups often learn to treat flu a bit more seriously. Far more of a shock for those who suddenly lose a loved one who was previously healthy, coming to terms with it can be especially hard when the majority are spared and its often so mild that people joke about it.

Although I cannot rule out the possibility of me dying from this flu, my main concerns are for my diabetic brother and for the third world, where the impact could be quite awful. Or maybe not, but for the next few years we've all got an extra free ticket to the weekly death lottery. It could be you, it probably wont be.

27. _float_

_float_ New Member

Spanish flu is "just flu" as well but:

"...The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920, spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. It is estimated that anywhere from 50 to 100 million people were killed worldwide, or the approximate equivalent of one third of the population of Europe. An estimated 500 million people, one third of the world's population (approximately 1.6 billion at the time), became infected..."

"...In U.S. Army camps where reasonably reliable statistics were kept, case mortality often exceeded 5 percent, and in some circumstances exceeded 10 percent. In the British Army in India, case mortality for white troops was 9.6 percent, for Indian troops 21.9 percent. In isolated human populations, the virus killed at even higher rates. In the Fiji islands, it killed 14 percent of the entire population in 16 days. In Labrador and Alaska, it killed at least one-third of the entire native population..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemics#Variable_mortality

28. Yossarian

Yossarian moving the bomb line

What level of involvement do you reckon the Illuminati have in all this?

29. Jazzz

yep, you know why it was called 'Spanish' Flu?

30. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Because they didn't suppress the news about it.