1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunrise 2012

Discussion in 'festivals' started by madzone, Dec 20, 2011.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Not too far away now!

2. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

I bought my festival wellies today :cool:

3. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

So, the weather forecast is, well, rain tbf. :(

Which wouldn't be so bad if the weekend on which it would normally have taken place earlier this month hadn't been so hot and dry.

4. madzone

It's looking particularly shocking for Saturday.

5. William of Walworth

Forecasts close enough to be reliable now. Not great for Thursday either. Trying not to get too pissed off about it, but until pretty recently, most forecasts for beyond today (Weds 20th) were broadly positive for the South, with the emphasis more on sun/dry than on showers.

Not any more, now very much the other way about.

About the only half way not-bad thing I can say is that it doesn't look as if it's going to be as cold/chilly as in recent weeks. And we will get some drier interludes. Also, the site isn't capable of getting as out and out muddy as Glastonbury Fest itself (chalk not clay I think?), with it not being right at the bottom of a valley either.

We always drink more at wetter festivals, which has its plusses and minuses :D. See some of you at one or other of the bars then (Gerry I'll text you when we're onsite) .... we set off today (to Glastonmbury town) and onsite at some point tomorrow (Thurs) before 3 pm, exactly when we get there depending when/if we can snatch a dry half hour to put the tent up :hmm:

Setting off about 10:30. I'll become a lot more positive once we're there! :)

6. madzone

I'm pissed off that the worst of the weather seems to be for just when I assume The Imagined Village will be playing :(

7. Shirl

Shirl Well-Known Member

I've never made it to sunrise, bit twiddly diddly for me. I hope everyone going has a brilliant time regardless of weather :)

8. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

Was thinking of heading for solstace party tonight but rain is forecast all night so i might get there just in time to put tent up if I'm lucky. Just finished work so need a kip so I'll see what I feel like later. I might just arrive do party and put tent up in the morning.

Is there an urban meet?

9. Gerry1time

Yep, it's looks like rain for sure then. It is a chalk site though iirc, and very much on top of a hill, so at least it won't be a repeated of the flooded year. High winds might get interesting though. :hmm:

Hope you have fun in Glasto tonight William, give I a shout when you get there. We'll be there from this evening, celebrating the Solstice in their new stone circle. In the pissing rain by the looks of it...

10. William of Walworth

Will contact you later, there's always the Rifleman's as a sheltering place! :p :D

All packed, just setting off NOW.

11. strange-fish

strange-fish no decisions...

I only made it the year of the massive flood!! I will report back as to how twiddly diddly it is !! :rolleyes:

12. madzone

So how wet does it have to get before they cancel?

13. strange-fish

I believe the new site is chalk and drains well, unlike the old site - which was flooded when a river burst it's banks - ie. 2ft water on the main site!!

14. madzone

But Saturday night looks hellish. I wonder if they'll cancel the headline act.

15. strange-fish

16. madzone

17. strange-fish

:rolleyes: That depends on what you consider hellish :)

18. madzone

Heavy rain and strong winds. What do you consider hellish?

eta - actually the wind seems to have dropped a bit on the saturday night but it's still heavy rain.

19. strange-fish

Tornado ... but then they do say there is no such thing as bad weather - just the wrong clothes!
    ps.. depends which forecast you look at, some of them just say light rain! Maybe Pilton will get all the rain :)

20. madzone

I'm looking at BBC and Met Office. If they're still on I'll still go, maybe on my own as it's a bit much to expect everyone else to sit in the pissing rain with me to watch a band but I'll still go.

21. Gerry1time

Well, that was jolly enough. Who else made it there then?

22. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

Me. Had drunk fun Thurs, Hung over friday, fab Sat and a can't be bothered with the mud sunday. I left at 4 today as I'd done enough trudging.

Highlights included surprise meeting old friends, Bangra rock on saturday night and the whirling dervishes.

23. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

Me. Had fun. Best bit was finding a stage with a bar and no mud with somewhere to sit. Drinking port for breakfast is always a winner.

24. madzone

Worra load of hippy shit.

25. Shirl

Shirl Well-Known Member

I could have told you that and I've never been :D

fractionMan likes this.
  26. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

Did the word 'permaculture' feature a lot?

27. madzone

I'm on my phone right now but you'll get a full breakdown later. The crux of the issue is that they don't actually want disabled people there. Combine that with the words piss-up and brewery and you have my feelings on it

28. wayward bob

wayward bob official sideboard pervert

hippies are terrible for that :( when the big green gathering peeps pulled it off it was an awesome festi but when they fucked up they fucked up big time :mad:

29. madzone

I'm on my phone right now but you'll get a full breakdown later. The crux of the issue is that they don't actually want disabled people there. Combine that with the words piss-up and brewery and you have my feelings on it

30. madzone

Oh ffs, what is my phone playing at? :mad: I had an alright time but I don't know how they get a license for such disorganisation.