1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunrise 2012

Discussion in 'festivals' started by madzone, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Whereas it is precisely this attitude that pisses me off about Sunrise :D Not so great if you're meant to be working there and are trying to get things arranged.

2. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

Yeah, to be fair, I've considered working it and always decided against. :D

3. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

I bought my ticket today :)

Gerry1time likes this.
  4. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

I'm not sure. I'm going to leave it till the new year to decide. I get a free ticket anyway so there's no rush really.

5. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

We'll definitely be going, we missed it last year.

No Glasto late June?

Another (very different) fest to do that's pretty good -- Gerry's earlier posts are all accurate.

This one will be my 4th? I think. I'm very definitely an 'avoid hippy-bollocks workshops, just head to the beer/cider tent** instead' type, and festivaldeb is too.

**Not at all bad for ale and scrumps choice, back in 2010 anyway ... :cool:

See you there people! :)

6. William of Walworth

Taking Ground Elder's Grumpy-Festie-Vet's points on board too mind ;) , but hoping to see you at Sunrise anyway GE :)

(or are you heading for the Green Gathering in Wales in 2012? We'll be there too).

7. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

I've pretty much only ever heard good stuff about Sunrise.

Never been free to go when it's on, but possibly 2012, we shall see. You should def go madzone, seems a top festival.

8. William of Walworth

I'd forgotten this post. The bolded bit no longer true. We'll be otherwise engaged .....

9. dustym

dustym New Member

Woah! Sorry for this belated reaction but "the belief that things will generally work out for the best and nothing needs to be stressed over" goes right to the very heart of Sunrise. Heart being the operative word. Sunrise is run by a tiny handful of people who believe in co-operative decision-making, believe in making the world a better place, have resisted all temptation to sell their beliefs short via sponsorship deals etc etc. and employ a higher crew to customer ratio than any other festival I know of.
    I work with a lot of different festival organisations and know that every year Sunrise pulls off an impossible dream. 'life-changing' is a common theme in the reviews I read and hear.
    Take a leaf out of their book and relax. It will all work out. If it still 'pisses you off' that they don't have the reserves to employ the numbers of staff required to answer your queries then go work for Festival Republic.
    Let's just compare the two options.
    FR: Cancelled big Chill this year as not viable. Men with calculators and dictatorial bosses applying financial return vs outlay logic to statistics.

Sunrise: Someone earlier mentioned 2008. For those who don't know, an hour after the gates opened, a river above the sites burst it's banks and tons of water rushed through the site wiping out the festival, the Bath and West Showground and half of Crewkerne. (an uninsurable act of God)
    At the time, there was no doubt it was the end of the line. £200k wiped out in 7 minutes. What did they do? They partied. They held a festival with 500 muddy people a couple of dance tents and the mead tent. The dream was over. They owed more money than they could ever hope to raise and they decided to have a party. It's that that I love most about them.
    What happened next was the closest thing to a miracle I've ever seen. A Guardian Angel who believed in them putting up the money to buy a field at Big Chill, The most successful ticket swap ever and over half the debt wiped out overnight. While some whinged about not being paid, others refused to accept payment and a further loan from the Guardian Angel saved the festival.
    It should be noted here that they never even considered the obvious solution of walking away from the debt. They're still paying it off in 2012.
    I'm a cynical person but I can still recognise that Sunrise are the real thing. In a world that appears to be driven by greed, they represent the change that needs to be made in all our lives.
    So when I say Woah! to Ms Elder, what I'm really trying to say is don't get pissed off by a very very minor inconvenience. Take a look at the bigger picture and accept everything will be fine. I don't mean everything will go according to plan. I mean it's up to you whether to be stressed or not.

19sixtysix likes this.
  10. Ground Elder

Fucking hippies

madzone and Gerry1time like this.
  11. Gerry1time

I'm very far from being a fucking hippy, but I completely agree with everything dustym's said. I really do find Sunrise a little bit life changing each year, try as I might not to. :p

I was also lucky enough to be part of the partying 500 on site in 2008, and trusted them that they'd be good to their word to give me a ticket for the next year, rather than me asking for a refund. The fact that they kept good on their promise gave me more faith in humanity that anything had for a long time.

I also like the fact that everyone there finds my 'lighten up hippy, tanks are cool' t-shirt as amusing as I find their 'hunting for invisible pixies' workshops. :D

12. William of Walworth

Are you going to Sunrise this year then Gerry? We've already bought our tickets (part one of the instalment anyway)

13. Gerry1time

Yes mate, bought them sometime last year iirc. We're such closet hippies. I won't be working 18 hour days at this one either, so we must meet up!

14. William of Walworth

15. William of Walworth

16. William of Walworth

I meant to say, on that link above, there's a two minute long Sunrise taster video which is definitely worth a look :)

Now looks like we'll be passing through/briefly staying in Glastonbury (town) en route to Sunrise, ie on Wednesday 20th -- Solstice day and eve. Job's a good un :D

17. William of Walworth

18. madzone

I think we're definitely going now. We've missed the solstice tickets but probably couldn't have justified the extra day anyway but I'm concerned about geting to the site and the camping being full. I usually go in disabled camping at festies because it's quieter and there's security on the gate (and showers) so it might not be so much of a problem but I'm still concerned.

19. Gerry1time

Worry not, I've never seen the campsites full at Sunrise, and they're only letting 1000 ish people in early, so I really don't think you'll have an issue finding a spot to camp. For example, this was the situation near our tent on the Saturday of last year, and we weren't camped out on the fringes by any means.

sunrise tents.jpg

madzone likes this.
  20. madzone

Sunrise and Bristol tickets need to have a little chat with each other :D

21. madzone

I've just bought tickets. Not quite sure how I feel about it right now :hmm:

22. Libertad

Libertad I got away with my couscous...

Damp and uncomfortable?

23. madzone

I'm rarely uncomfortable camping. I usually have more home comforts than I do at home and am toasty warm and sleep beautifully under fluffy duvets and furry blankets. I have been known to completely fuck up though and end up shivering under a Sonic the Hedgehog duvet.

24. Clement

Clement New Member

Hey man, more Solstice ticket to be re released :)

http://sunrisecelebration.com/blog/limited-solstice-night-tickets-re-release xxx

25. madzone

26. Ground Elder

Far out.

madzone likes this.
  27. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

I see the small world tent is turning up this year. I always thought they'd fit nicely at Sunrise.

28. William of Walworth

I sense an old-style Urban-festie-meetup buliding .... :)

19sixtysix likes this.
  29. madzone

3 weeks :eek:

19sixtysix likes this.
  30. William of Walworth

Nice bump madz, more laterz when less pissed :p