1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studio Ghibli and Evangelion people* do a short film

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Shippou-Sensei, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

* well it's developed by Hideaki Anno and directed by Shinji Higuchi with Ghibli acting as producers

the notable thing about this short film (the real one is a bit longer) is it has no CGI. it's being used in a museum exhibition on special effects curated by Hideaki Anno and consists of traditional animation and model work.

2. Shippou-Sensei

i dunno if the inclusion of the god warrior means this is a nausicaa prequal showing the original destruction of the earth or maybe just a nod to the team up givin the fact the god warrior was a major influence on the evas

3. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever dumber than i appear on paper

fuck Ghibli from now on - the kids just watched Grave of the fireflies and were in fuckin tears for hours after the little girl in it died and got set fire to

Grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

fractionMan likes this.
  4. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Showed as a double bill with Totoro on release don'tcha know.
    I watched it once. Never again.

5. Shippou-Sensei

yeah it's one i havn't watched. mind you i never got round to pompoko either but there is less burning corpses of loved ones in that.

lot's of testicles though

6. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Deffo Nausica as it mentions it in text and in other adverts for the exhibition. It really does highlight the similarity for evas though.

7. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I love pom poko daigasen

8. Shippou-Sensei

oh and as a heads up avoid earthsea. nothing too sad in it it's just not very good.

also the borrowers is basically about a dying kid and the extiction of the borrowers.

up on poppy hill is really quite bright and fun. it does have a plot where the two love interests think they might be brother and sister but pfft incest i watch so much siskon anime i'm am totally desensitised to incest.

9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I was going to avoid the new one because I thought it was from the same director as Gedosenki.

10. Shippou-Sensei

didn't you read the synopsis? @not-bono

11. Shippou-Sensei

i think it is

he got better

or less control

i think he might just do this stuff better than fantasy. it's no sen to chihiro but it's no geddo either

if anything this is more of a companion piece with grave of the fireflies showing the upbeat next generation plus the lingering effects of the war. a big plot point is based around post war adoption.

12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I am not really a fan of sen to chihiro.

13. Shippou-Sensei

to be honest just about all the ghibli stuff only gets as far as a like for me. i think i just like the setting of sen to chihiro in a relaxed kinda way. it's the first one that comes to mind when i think of "like" over "appreciate" i mean i apreciate the fuck outta mononoke-hime but my like levels for that are so-so.

14. Chemical needs

Chemical needs stirring

Well, yeah, it's really sad. What did you expect?