1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strawberry Fair 2011

Discussion in 'festivals' started by bi0boy, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I intend to go to Strawberry Fair despite being stopped and searched outside Cambridge station in 2009. They really need to train their sniffer dogs better - stupid Transport Police. I hope the fence outside the Fair itself means that we can pass through and out of the station in a normal civilized manner.

2. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

That's hardly a very objective historical account is it? :hmm:

I'm sure we've got views more in common about festivals/the Police/security etc etc than my above somewhat irritated comment above suggests, but the Glastonbury Superfence issue has been done to death on many forums over the years, and there's plenty of widely varying opinions.

Suffice to say that plenty of old school festival vets from the pre 2000 period understand why it came about. Even if they don't like some consequences of it. Were you there in 2000 (last non superfence year)?

I had a seriously great time then, but the whole shebang was becoming seriously overcrowded and dangerous -- and in parts of the site, crimeridden too.

3. William of Walworth

As you know I'm well aware of your long term past involvement with the Fair, and I do respect that. And because of that, I do understand (a lot) why you're making this comment.

But I, at least, intend to give the thing a fair chance this year by sucking it and seeing for myself. If 2011 comes to be my last SF ever (I think 2011 will be about my 19th or so) then so be it, and I can well imagine the sort of things that might piss me off enough to call it a day after next week.

But I don't intend to boycott it from distance without finding out for myself what it's really like on the ground.

4. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Good for you, WoW. I hope you enjoy it.

5. William of Walworth

I would also want to know exactly who that Facebook commentor was, whether he was giving the full story, and how centrally involved he is in the Fair -- will have a look later.

Because his comments about the Fence seem incomplete (to say the least) without also mentioning what was probably a severe amount of pressure from the Police to head things in that direction.

6. William of Walworth

Oh cheers :).

Sorry if I seemed a bit short to you in my comments .... perhaps that's a reflection in part of my own worries.

7. William of Walworth

8. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Here's the new organiser:

9. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Note that Cambridgeshire has a new chief constable since the last fair, so the police's attitude towards the fair might be subject to change. A positive sign this year is that no officers from outside the county will be used, only police from the local force.

10. DrRingDing

DrRingDing PotValiantFenman

That bloke tried to stop us from having the Strawberry unFair last year. He's a liberal.

11. bi0boy

bi0boy .

He's a civil engineer, which is probably why he is so keen on having a fence.

12. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

So, the fence is going up, meaning I had to cycle round it yesterday - grumble grumble.

I''ll be taking the wee lad for a wander round, who else is going?

13. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

I have to say I've enjoyed it less and less every year, starting from the heavier and heavier police harassment at the station to the aggressive and growing amount of hideously drunk tossers kicking off. I feel sorry for the organisers because their job must get harder every year.

14. Fruitloop

Yeah it's true. And less representation for the local music thing. Maybe I am getting on a bit but I would rather have life4land than a band competition.

15. DrRingDing

I'm sure but they are keeling over too easily.

16. Hocus Eye.

That opening speech by the police officer sounded like the same words that were on the website. Standing next to him looking down and a bit bedraggles was what might have been someone he had just arrested and was about to take to the cells. This turned out to be the organiser who said precisely nothing except that it was a big change this year and with a 'family focus'. I doesn't sound good to me.

17. DrRingDing

It sounds fuck gash.

I'll still be there mind.

18. butcher

butcher boner at the ready

This may be of interest:

This year's 'new look' Strawberry Fair has strict security measures to ensure it has a real family focus.

This week your local officers and partners will be distributing public information leaflets in and around the city centre and attending various events and meetings to update local residents and businesses.

There will be strict security measures in place to deal with anyone attempting to break the law which are outlined in the leaflet.

These include:

*No more than four cans of beer or equivalent per person, no spirits, and no glass.

*Security staff will search people they suspect carrying any illegal or prohibited items.

*Passive police drugs dogs on site to deal with anyone who tries to bring drugs into the fair.

*Anyone caught urinating in a public place will be issued with a £80 fixed penalty notice.

*No camping or BBQs on site.

The Strawberry Fair Committee, working with the police and council, has established strict entrance guidelines to prevent the fair from being spoiled and minimise disruption to local residents.

The details of these practical measures can be found in the leaflet, see link below.

Alcohol or drug misuse and criminal and anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated.

All entrances will be staffed by stewards organised by the Strawberry Fair and local officers will be on hand to support the fair organisers' to ensure these measures are adhered to.

The reinvented event will be held on Saturday, June 4 on Midsummer Common with a focus on community, the arts and family entertainment.

Your Neighbourhood Policing Team.

http://www.cambs.police.uk/news/strawberryfair - Strawberry Fair leaflet
    -
    -

19. Hocus Eye.

From what I can see there will be no 'main stage' for music but there will be the Wigwam and the Acoustic tent. There is no mention of a real Ale bar in the Acoustic tent. There are few details about the artists performing in the Wigwam, which suggest to me that they are at this moment on the phone trying to persuade people to come and play.

I may give it a miss. It is quite a long journey for me having to go into London and back out again by train. They want local families to go there not me. I understand but selfishly regret it.

20. William of Walworth

Fair dos HE. I know the journey isn't exactly straightforward for you.

Somewhere earlier up I posted two different versions of maps/info (from different pages on the SF website), one of which specifically mentioned a 'bar' in the Acoustic Tent (ale not specified!) and one of which didn't mention it,. I'm inclined to trust the idea that there will be ale there as traditionally, they may be changing a fair few things but surely would be very foolish to alter that particular aspect unnecessarily, given how popular it's always been for beer.

With the Wigwam, they've always been a bit impromptu and last minute about line up, it's intentionally always been that sort of turn up and see stage. I know of one band who almost certainly will be playing at some point -- Opaque from Peterborough (or members of, at least -- their drummer told me in Bristol last w/e). Maybe not officially confirmed though as there's not yet a Facebook mention.

ETA : It was specifically mentioned somewhere that the Green Corner generally, near which the Wigwan used to be sited, will be unchanged -- and there's a bands tent there too which has seen some excellent old time festival performances in recent times.

That said, the disappearance of the main stage is a big big shame ... :(

21. William of Walworth

Some details of entrance policy' this year that butcher posted are new and some not, some were linked to/posted about in earlier posts on this thread. As I posted earlier up, I'm far from happy about the fence, and heightened security, in fact I'm quite apprehensive about it.

Part of the heavy looking detail though is, I suspect mostly about advance publicity for consumption by readers of the Cambridge Evening News and other conservative local media. And to put off some people from coming because of that.

Well they can't stop me from coming and it would annoy/sadden me that other SF long timers and various from Cambridge's own long established SF-friendly scene are (albeit understandably) put off-- I d hardly be any kind of festographer worthy of the name if I didn't turn up to form my own impressions and do my own research :hmm:

I would also be wary of just assuming the worst in advance. I'll be the first to post back critical/pissed off stuff here and elsewhere if 'border security' turns out too OTT, but there's always some possibility too that we might be pleasantly surprised by restraint -- some festivals manage it.

22. William of Walworth

Missed this earlier.

I agree with the feeling sorry for the organisers -- especially this year they're being forced into a very difficult position that's far from their own making.

On OTT Police presence at the station, which you accurately pinpoint for criticism, it's worth remembering that they're British Transport Police (not Cambridgeshire) and that the BTP are a scummy law unto themselves (they're answerable only to central Government, not to any Police authority -- not that even the latter would amount to much :hmm: ) .

I don't have a good word to say about the BTP myself, so be warned people -- keep an eye out for them if you come by train and remember there are alternative means/times of transport ;) and even alternative stations ... not just railway stations too ...

Cambridgeshire Police on the actual SF site -- well we'll just have to see this time. I've not actually found them too bad in past years -- quite low key even -- but the risk is obvious that this time things may change significantly.

As for drunk tossers -- very annoying all right, but the site is pretty big and DT's are easily avoidable, as at all festivals ...

23. William of Walworth

Any access to more local information Fruitloop, including unofficially sourced? ;)

My brother seems uncontactable right now :mad:

24. DrRingDing

i.e. we've dicked you over in an attempt to make this into a profit making venture.

25. kenny g

kenny g Most Welcome!

Is parking a complete nightmare in cambridge? I have worked out it is a one hour drive versus a 2hr 15 min train journey so it looks like a car journey with the family might be the better journey.

26. rich!

rich! stalin tache

Oakham have definitely sent some beer up there, so there will be a proper bar somewhere!

Loss of the main stage is a bit of an arse, but then it does stop the inevitable complaints about the bands playing.

I'm looking forward to it. Camping on the other side of town - a first.

27. rich!

rich! stalin tache

Though, closing the footbridge? that seems weird.

28. foamy

foamy Sheinhardt Wig Company

In the city centre it is limited and expensive. You'd be better off parking at a park and ride bus place of which there are a few- depending on which direction you are coming from. If you are up for a 25 min walk to SF you could park on a street on the out of town sidesof hills road / mill road bridges.

29. Stig

Stig Bull in a china shop

OakhamAles: Sending beer to the Strawberry Fair Cambridge
    OakhamAles: They are having JHB, White Dwarf, Inferno, Citra and Bishops Farewell.

30. Fruitloop

Well, apart from the fence the site looks much as it always does. I've just moved back to Cambridge from abroad in the last couple of weeks so I'm afraid I'm not as plugged-in as I would normally be, but there seem to be the usual influx of festival folks. Maybe a bit down on previous years but I work out of town now so maybe I'm just not seeing them as much.