1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strawberry Fair 2009

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Jimmy Bailey, Sep 22, 2008.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

A shameless bump as the Fair is less than three months away now ... :p :D

Hoping that a fair few on Urban are up for it :)

2. perplexis

perplexis A change of scene, a change of style....

The Fair's in trouble I'm afraid :(
    The local cops have decided to charge the organisers for their services...
    I'm of the opinion that they should just tell the pigs to fuck off and have the fair anyway. Then if they want to stop it they'll have to mobilise, but it would be for free :D
    Not necessarily the safest option, but fuck it. How can the police insist that they be there, but then also insist that they need money for something that they have determined is a requirement. It's well Kafka.

3. William of Walworth

Bollocks :mad: , that was threatened last year, the Police charging thing, but some sort of agreement was reached in 2008 though, wasn't it? :confused:

I'm daring to hope that the Fair is too big and too well established not to happen though ... :eek:

4. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

The way I look at it, we all pay tax for the police.

If they are going to start charging for "policing" any public gathering, a cost that if you refuse to pay, they won't allow you to hold your event, its very close to being a protection racket.

What about, say, a protest march? Sorry, we think its going to cost £20,000 to "police" and if you don't cough up, you can't have it.....

Its the same principle - we are all the public, their job is to police events as they happen.

If they can basically charge a compulsory fee for turning up, they effectively dictate where people can gather together for any purpose (even more than they already do) which is a worrying move.

Giles..

5. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

Went 07, missed 08... I shall double my efforts this year!

6. Rollem

Rollem two kinds of wonderful

we wont be going this year - at a wedding instead. apart from not seeing the fen females, can't say i am too bothered about missing out

7. William of Walworth

I missed the fen females last year, hope we can bump into them this time :)

Spot on comments from Giles. Can Cambridge locals keep an eye out for developments on the Police charging thing? I really hope the Fair isn't in financial jeopardy ... :(

8. perplexis

The usual benefit gigs and stuff are going on, but this is looking like a potentially fatal blow. I don't know the state of negotiations at the moment as I am no longer that friendly with the committee.
    I totally agree with Giles, I was trying to express that in my angry post but he said it much more eloquently.
    I'll post up any info I get.

9. William of Walworth

Thanks for that perplexis.

I was speculating to myself that that story in the Cambridge Evening Post originated from someone on the Fair Commitee. And that they might be deliberately publicising the Police's change of stance in order to generate negotiating leverage with the help of the publicity .....

In other words lets hope that negotiations and lobbying routes still remain open/ongoing, and that the worst of the blow can be averted.

10. Cloo

Cloo Upmarket chicken concept

I'm planning on going this year... I hope the Police aren't so cunty again - I wouldn't fancy being herded through all that with a young baby in tow.

I've only made it there one of the about five years I've intended to go (other times I had something else on, and the one free year it was pissing down), and I really enjoyed it.

11. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

We make it there most years and will this year if it's still on

12. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

13. William of Walworth

That site's not been updated for some time, the C.E.N. story about the Police is a good deal more recent than the last website update (which followed their successful efforts to overcome the threat to the 10 pm licence from the Council, a while ago ).

I'm in touch with strawberryozzie of the SF Committee, I will post more when I know more ... and I'm sure perplexis will also keep us posted.

14. William of Walworth

BUMP! :) as the Fair is only in three weeks time.

The main SF site has been updated now, with an interesting page setting out in detail the Fair Committee's response to the Police charging threat.

And the recent Strawbery Fair Committee's press release titled 'Community events are vital' (tis a PDF mind).

I'm taking it that negotiations with the Police about this year's Fair are still 'ongoing', given that the SF site doesn't say one way or the other what the outcome of their lobbying is. And I have no further inside info for now ...

For now we can assume the Fair is going ahead ! :cool: :)

ETA : And straight from the Fair Committee's mouth, Martin Twiss confirmed this on 12th May -- see below ....

15. William of Walworth

Just belatedly seen this though, posted by Martin Twiss (one of the Fair's key organisers) over on efestivals, on a thread I hadn't checked for ages :oops:

Watch out once more at Cambridge Station on the Saturday for those bastard British Transport Police. Here is what Martin has to say :

That BTP alcohol ban is not good AT ALL, but do bear in mind :

You can travel other than by train.

You can get off your train elsewhere than Cambridge main station if you use some of the stopping trains from Liverpool Street ;)

Alcohol will be available both on site (in the lovely beer tents) and in and around town too I guess

Some of you can travel up on a day other than Saturday 6th :p

It's a lively and lovely event especially when sunny, that so many peoople really enjoy, don't let British Transport Police obstructiveness grind you down or stop you getting there.

Cambridgeshire Police, for all their potential arsiness over charging, will be the ones near and around site and they tend to keep a much lower profile.

The SF stewards who do the real work are as cool and laid back as fuck. It'll be fine once you've arrived.

16. Cloo

Hope we get good weather - we are mobilising to come along.

That really sucks about the trains - I mean, really, how many problems have they actually had due to people drinking on the way? :mad: But how enforcable will it be? Plenty of people won't know about it, and unless transport police get on all the trains (I assume some will), I doubt staff will be telling people to stop.

17. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

I'll be there. Hopefully I'll actually meet up with some urbs this time and not just stagger around at random like I usually do.

18. Onket

Onket Gertcha

They tried (failed) to stop me from taking beer onto the train back to London last year. :rolleyes:

19. perplexis

I'll be missing it due to being in foreignland :(
    Hope it's good this year!

20. Onket

Onket Gertcha

I'm not going cos it's overkill & wasn't worth it last year, let alone this time.

I'd go if I lived in Cambridge, obviously.

21. perplexis

Just realised I won't be in foreignland I'll be at a wedding in Lincolnshire. Still not going though :D
    Overkill would be infinitely superior, I'll wager.

22. William of Walworth

I think the main British Transport Police presence will be around Cambridge station, in other words something of a step up from their already OTT presence at Cambridge station last year. I can only guess, but the risk of them patrolling the actual trains is probably?? far less, and if there's any of them checking Cambridge-bound trains at Kings Cross or Liverpool Street, that really would be overkill. And they'd be subject to righteous complaints from Cambridge bound citzens who are nothing to so with the Fair.

Suggest people stock up on alcohol when already in Cambridge (plenty of offies/shops in town!) or when on site.

Or employ smart BTP avoidance tactics as suggested by me previous page ;)

23. William of Walworth

We've booked our trains -- arriving in Cambridge a day early ;) :p -- and we will definitely be there in two weeks time. Hope to meet up with plenty of folks :cool:

24. puck

puck cider-fuelled pixie

I'll be there with ballgown and a bottle of tequila! Festie season has started :cool:

25. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Not sure I get what you mean. :confused:

26. Cloo

God, how are we supposed to spot you, then?! :mad:

27. foo

foo dirtysweet

hey William (and anyone else who'll be around all weekend) if you're in Cambridge on the Friday night before the Fair - there's a Dubzone pre-party with soundsystems and VIBRONICS! :cool: cheap n cheerful venue with no noise restrictions!

BASS! . :cool:

i've c&p'd the info cos i can't link it from the facebook page....

We have booked the Funky Fun House warehouse in Cambridge just off Newmarket rd for a friday night session!

We promice you a really amazing warm up to the weekend on the very special eve to the strawberry fair, with a NEW venue with BIG capacity. And an amazing16K sound install by Cambridge's very own REVELATION 2000 and The Dub Zone. So expect the volume and the bass to be up there with Jah.

The Dub Zone is also pleased to present the mighty *VIBRONICS* .....From their creation in 1995 Vibronics have been at the forefront of the UK Roots and Dub explosion. They served their apprentice through a series of exclusive heavy-weight cuts for Sound Systems such as Jah Shaka, Iration Steppas and Aba-Shanti-I before moving on to releasing music through Zion Train's Universal Egg label. Vibronics have been playing live and DJing across Europe since 1997 where they have earned a reputation for kicking up a musical storm. An exhausting itinerary has taken them from Portugal to Finland with visits to just about every country in between. Their studio work leads the way in contemporary dub productions and has included collaborations with Zion Train, Ranking Joe, Macka.B and The Mad Professor. .... Vibronics is the future sound of Dub...... .

Also with selectors and vocalists blessed with sight for sounds, from UPRIZING, REVELATION 2000, and THE DUB ZONE.
    * Irie M, Ras Paix, TrishnaI, Jimmi Steppa, Roddy Culcha, stevie judah, bagga shines and DylanJah*

This session is seriously not to be overlooked, and will take place on Friday 5th June, the night before Cambridges free festival "strawberryfair". The venue is The Funky Fun House, 8 Mercers Row
    Cambridge, CB5 8HY (just off of Newmarket road).
    9pm till 2am .Price: £6 - £8

28. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

glade, innit? :D

29. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Well I'm not going there. :confused:

30. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

I wish them well, and it's fantastic that they're putting on a proper free festival against all the odds, but all the fun has been squeezed out of this for me. :(