1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Jobs steps down as Apple CEO

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Teepee, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw Registered Loser

2. twentythreedom

twentythreedom a Somali pirate riding a dinosaur, obviously

Oh shite I started a thread in World news. Please merge / bin as appropriate... although it is a "Steve Jobs Dead" death-specific thread. Ah well, whatever.

3. Vintage Paw

And someone else started another specific Steve Jobs is dead thread before you too. You just can't win :(

4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

How ironic that a champion of programmed obsolesence should succumb to precisely that.

5. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

6. twentythreedom

twentythreedom a Somali pirate riding a dinosaur, obviously

It's like one great big popularity contest innit :( I did search, but evidently failed somehow

But, I have started a cool oldskool mobiles thread. iPhones not ahem welcome ahem yet.

7. Vintage Paw

Nice comment on kotaku about him:

" Like most iPhone batteries, this man died too soon."

editor likes this.
  8. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

9. Vintage Paw

10. editor

This is a powerful, inspiring speech from 2005. You can read the text here:
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/05/stay-hungry-stayfoolish/

11. editor

Bill Gates has commented on Jobs' death:

12. Yossarian

Yossarian moving the bomb line

It's a shame Jobs never showed much interest in using his company's enormous wealth and influence to make the world a better place - he eliminated Apple's philanthropic programs after taking charge again in 1997 and never reinstated them. I guess it's possible that he was keeping donations quiet and there'll be some surprises in his will.

To the best of my knowledge, in the last decade or more, Jobs has not spoken up on any social or political issue he believes in -- with the exception of admitting he's a big Bob Dylan fan.
    Rather, he uses social issues to support his own selfish business goals. In the Think Different campaign, Jobs used cultural figures he admired to sell computers -- figures who stuck their necks out to fight racism, poverty, inequality or war.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2006/01/70072

editor likes this.
  13. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Shame, he died young.

14. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

Public companies aren't charities - that's the responsibility of individuals. If however Jobs hasn't left the bulk of his wealth to philanthropic projects, it won't reflect well on him.